The Student Room Group

£15,000 in savings - How to utilise it?

Hey guys,

Apologies - I'm sure this type of post is written almost weekly, just thought I'd explain my situation and see what opportunities are available.

I'm currently on a placement year at IBM, I'll be starting my final year in September. Over the years I've been able to accumulate around £15k in savings and I'm really unsure what to do with it. I hate knowing it's just sitting in my bank as opposed to earning some interest/profit.

I'm fairly business-minded, always thinking of ways to invest, profit etc etc. I gave Ebay/Facebook/Craigslist arbitrage a go but didn't find it sustainable - Yeah, I made a bit of money... but it wasn't worth the hours I spent searching through websites.

I've had a few ideas to create a blog/website and profit via affiliate links, Clickbank etc however I don't have the time to create content at the moment, so that's kinda out of the window.

I have some in an ISA currently. I don't want to add the rest into an ISA purely because I like having "financial security", if anything goes wrong I want to have some money available, so ISA's are out of the window.

Any proven methods guys? - I'd love to toy with shares but I'm not too clued up. I've also heard that £15k isn't going to make much money, so it comes down to whether the risk is worth the reward! (if any)

I'm sure I'll get a few people say "parents money" so I'll state now that I've earned this all through jobs. I've been working since I was 16.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Connor

Scroll to see replies

It depends really. Save a nice sum over in the event of a rainy day but if you're gonna spend some of it, why not invest a little in a relatively safe stock(Microsoft springs to mind) and ride out the markets for a year. You'll get some dividends for each share you hold and if you feel they're peaking, sell them off. Check the 52 week performance on a stock to check its likely trajectory(not guaranteed as stocks are volatile). Buy low, sell high. Spend maybe £1000-£2000 and then save £7500 for a rainy day and do what you want with the rest. But its your money at the end of the day. My advice would be to grow its value so it makes you some nice returns
Put 10K in the stock market
Original post by ConnorBR
Hey guys,

I have some in an ISA currently. I don't want to add the rest into an ISA purely because I like having "financial security", if anything goes wrong I want to have some money available, so ISA's are out of the window.

you re covered for 83k per bank so i wouldnt worry about financial security :wink: i have the same amount in an isa myself and have been considered putting a little into a stocks and shares isa but can never decide if the risk is worth it for me.
Reply 4
Original post by ConnorBR
Hey guys,

Apologies - I'm sure this type of post is written almost weekly, just thought I'd explain my situation and see what opportunities are available.

I'm currently on a placement year at IBM, I'll be starting my final year in September. Over the years I've been able to accumulate around £15k in savings and I'm really unsure what to do with it. I hate knowing it's just sitting in my bank as opposed to earning some interest/profit.

I'm fairly business-minded, always thinking of ways to invest, profit etc etc. I gave Ebay/Facebook/Craigslist arbitrage a go but didn't find it sustainable - Yeah, I made a bit of money... but it wasn't worth the hours I spent searching through websites.

I've had a few ideas to create a blog/website and profit via affiliate links, Clickbank etc however I don't have the time to create content at the moment, so that's kinda out of the window.

Any proven methods guys? - I'd love to toy with shares but I'm not too clued up. I've also heard that £15k isn't going to make much money, so it comes down to whether the risk is worth the reward! (if any)

I'm sure I'll get a few people say "parents money" so I'll state now that I've earned this all through jobs. I've been working since I was 16.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Connor

invest it in property. My mum is a property developer and people invest money so give her say £10k and she buys a house with money also from other investors too and rents it out. she gives 5% interest each year but is very competitive compared to the banks, so find an investor and invest it
Reply 5
Original post by marco14196
It depends really. Save a nice sum over in the event of a rainy day but if you're gonna spend some of it, why not invest a little in a relatively safe stock(Microsoft springs to mind) and ride out the markets for a year. You'll get some dividends for each share you hold and if you feel they're peaking, sell them off. Check the 52 week performance on a stock to check its likely trajectory(not guaranteed as stocks are volatile). Buy low, sell high. Spend maybe £1000-£2000 and then save £7500 for a rainy day and do what you want with the rest. But its your money at the end of the day. My advice would be to grow its value so it makes you some nice returns

Hi Marco,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I've definitely considered that actually - I always thought that you needed 1000's of shares in these bigger corporations to make any money? Their share prices are normally fairly stable so don't change too much, then the admin fee's on buying/selling shares etc make it a pain? Or is that just my lack of knowledge?

Thank you!

Connor
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
you re covered for 83k per bank so i wouldnt worry about financial security :wink: i have the same amount in an isa myself and have been considered putting a little into a stocks and shares isa but can never decide if the risk is worth it for me.

Hi Claire,

Well I meant having cash available without having to take it out of an ISA, resulting in the interest being void hehe. Yeah I'm currently looking into that actually - I guess its a risk:reward decision haha.

Cheers
If i had that much, I'd just put a deposit down for a house
Reply 8
Original post by decgreen
invest it in property. My mum is a property developer and people invest money so give her say £10k and she buys a house with money also from other investors too and rents it out. she gives 5% interest each year but is very competitive compared to the banks, so find an investor and invest it

What happens if the property had a major fault? Or if inflation shoots up? Or if an investor wants to recover their investment? Or if your mother goes bankrupt?

Incredibly high risk investment.
spend some time watching the stock markets before you invest and read articles about companies to invest in to get some knowledge of the stock market

then invest some of your money in relatively safe companies. don't put it all in one company, in case for some reason the price of shares in that company suddenly drop (such as the price of bp shares did after the gulf of mexico oil spill) it'll allow you to get to know the stock market and experiment a bit while (hopefully) making some money

if you decide you like watching the markets and anticipating which companies' share prices will soar and guessing when to sell, then perhaps invest some of your money in more risky investments.
premium bonds are a 100% safe way of storing your money. you should win £175 on average each year... but if you are lucky you can win much more.
Football accumulators
Reply 12
Original post by HarryW03
Football accumulators

Brb, making a 15k bet. I'll let you know the outcome - wish me luck!!
Reply 13
Original post by ifyouseelaura
spend some time watching the stock markets before you invest and read articles about companies to invest in to get some knowledge of the stock market

then invest some of your money in relatively safe companies. don't put it all in one company, in case for some reason the price of shares in that company suddenly drop (such as the price of bp shares did after the gulf of mexico oil spill) it'll allow you to get to know the stock market and experiment a bit while (hopefully) making some money

if you decide you like watching the markets and anticipating which companies' share prices will soar and guessing when to sell, then perhaps invest some of your money in more risky investments.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I'm currently reading up on shares before I go into them, I definitely think it's a good avenue to explore!

With the "safer" companies, do you think £1-2k would yield good enough returns? Some of these shares are pushing £100+ each, with a £12 trading fee. With £1k I'd get 10 shares and they would have to raise a fairly significant amount to recuperate that £12 loss, let alone the selling fee. Especially when these larger companies often have steady share prices, if that makes sense.

Thank you, will be interesting to hear your opinion :smile:

Connor
Reply 14
Original post by Ubergooose

To be honest that was the original plan, however I have a feeling if my career goes to plan that I'll be moving around a lot, so I don't want to tie myself into a mortgage too early.

I guess there's potential for a buy-to-let situation but it would be a little risky.

Cheers
Premium bonds / ISA. Keep it safe and you've got a solid start on the deposit on a house, or buy yourself a car, or whatever. No need to chase big returns on it, just keep it from losing value.
Reply 16
Original post by Ubergooose

To be honest that was the original plan, however I have a feeling if my career goes to plan that I'll be moving around a lot, so I don't want to tie myself into a mortgage too early.

I guess there's potential for a buy-to-let situation but it would be a little risky.

Cheers
Reply 17
Invest in yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Check out Moneysavingexpert's guide to current account savings: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

What it boils down to is that you can split your money between a few current accounts and get good interest. You can have:

£2k in TSB at 5%
£5k in Lloyds at 4%
£5k in Bank of Scotland at 3%
£3k in Tesco Bank at 3%

This way your £15k makes you about £540 a year (before tax), with no risk as they're all current accounts and covered by FSCS guarantee.

They all have minimum pay in amounts each month, but there's nothing to stop the same lump of cash doing a round trip A -> B -> C -> D -> A, they all get their deposits, money ends up back where it started. Just set up standing orders a couple of days apart each and it'll take care of itself.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Premium bonds / ISA. Keep it safe and you've got a solid start on the deposit on a house, or buy yourself a car, or whatever. No need to chase big returns on it, just keep it from losing value.

You can never lose in the share market over the long term, unless you invest in very hopeless companies, but you can walk down the high street and see what is doing well and what has potential to do well in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending