The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Is switching courses common in UCL?

Not sure about to completely different courses. Some people on my course switched to the Joint one with Maths, both in my year and the year before. However that course is very small and very difficult.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
No interviews. There are girls, probably 7:1 or 6:1 male to female ratio. The course is super oversubscribed so if you missed your offer probably not. That said I dont know, some people might have got in with less this year.
Hi there am thinking on taking Economics and Business with East European Studies degree as i am really interested in learning on how the economics development there as well as on the transition of USSR turning into a capitalist state. However my personal statement is focused on pure economics as i am applying for other unis for bsc econs, so do i have to alter my ps and add things on European countries?
I have applied to UCL for History of Art, I am predicted AAAB.
My gcse grades are: 4A*, 3A, 2B, 1C
Do you think I have a chance at UCL?
I have applied to UCL for History of Art, I am predicted AAAB.
My gcse grades are: 4A*, 3A, 2B, 1C
Do you think I have a chance at UCL?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Is switching courses common in UCL?

It can happen -- though don't bank on it. When it does happen, it's most likely to be okayed if you're moving from a popular course to a less popular one. Moving into a really competitive and popular course like English or Psychology is less likely.
Hey guys , hmm , i got a main problem . I wanna ask is there any disadvantage for those who take 3 subject in A level compare to 4 subject ? Will UCL prefer 4 subject or 3 subject ?i am planning to study engineering , so my fourth subject , which is biology is not necessary for my future career .
Can any Comparative literature students tell me more about their course?

I really need your help as I'm struggling to choose which university to apply to Kings College London or UCL. Does UCL have a better program?(in what way is it better?) I was searching for UCL's comparative literatue modules, but I coudn't find any :frown: I am interested in a more traditional comparative literature program, which is not focused on moden literature.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey friends! I'm planning on going for exchange to UCL from Canada. Can someone explain the UCL grading system to me? How "difficult" is it to get 70+ on a module, on psychology, for example? (for example, what's the course median/average?)
Original post by sunny.days
Hey friends! I'm planning on going for exchange to UCL from Canada. Can someone explain the UCL grading system to me? How "difficult" is it to get 70+ on a module, on psychology, for example? (for example, what's the course median/average?)

Psychology student here! It's not easy to get a first (which is 70%+) by any means. Not impossible, but definitely not something you can just pull out of the bag last minute! For a first, you are expected to have a solid understanding of both the core content, wider reading (from the reading list you are given) and show evidence of reading of your own, from outside of what is prescribed to you. You're also meant to show original thought and insight etc, which can be difficult to do well. I don't know anything about the Canadian university marking systems, but if you're planning on coming to UCL it might be wise to see if you can access the marking criteria anywhere online to get a feel for what's expected of you for certain grades.
Original post by aylawilde
Psychology student here! It's not easy to get a first (which is 70%+) by any means. Not impossible, but definitely not something you can just pull out of the bag last minute! For a first, you are expected to have a solid understanding of both the core content, wider reading (from the reading list you are given) and show evidence of reading of your own, from outside of what is prescribed to you. You're also meant to show original thought and insight etc, which can be difficult to do well. I don't know anything about the Canadian university marking systems, but if you're planning on coming to UCL it might be wise to see if you can access the marking criteria anywhere online to get a feel for what's expected of you for certain grades.

Hey, thank you so much! I didn't anticipate that at all, that's definitely different from Canada. Do you know where I might be able to access a marking criteria?
Hi everyone, sorry to butt in but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on UCL's website and thought someone here might help me.

I was made a conditional offer for a Masters programme at UCL but I can only make a decision in late March (when I hear back from another university). Does anyone knows if there's a deadline to accept the offer, or who I should contact to discuss this at UCL?

Do I just give Admissions a call? I'm on a very tight budget and this would be an international call for me which is why I'm trying to figure this out online first :smile:
Reply 4912
For Economics, how strict(will they budge) are they on the first sitting A* for maths, would resitting and applying after taking a gap year be okay?
Original post by Nirm
For Economics, how strict(will they budge) are they on the first sitting A* for maths, would resitting and applying after taking a gap year be okay?

Hi, I'm a second year Economics student.

See here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/prospective/admissions-faqs/#resitting

It seems like you will be disadvantaged to someone who got an A* on the first sitting but it doesn't seem like it means it will be impossible to get an offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Big Blue Machine
I've got an interview for English. Will this be a pressurised, challenging, academic interview, or simply to learn a little more and have a chat about my reading ?

Hey! It will be a bit of both (although it does depend which interviewers you get, some of them will be more chill than others!) - you'll talk about the texts on your personal statement as you would in any interview, and maybe discuss what on the course you're looking forward to, before doing a critical commentary of a passage. You get 40 minutes to write the commentary, so they're not expecting a lot - just to know that you can identify common poetic/stylistic techniques, and understand their effect. But obviously, they don't expect you to be amazing, otherwise you wouldn't need to do the degree! As I'm sure you've been told a million times already, they're looking for potential more than achievements. Hope that helps - feel free to ask me more specific questions!
Original post by DreamByDay
Hi everyone, sorry to butt in but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on UCL's website and thought someone here might help me.

I was made a conditional offer for a Masters programme at UCL but I can only make a decision in late March (when I hear back from another university). Does anyone knows if there's a deadline to accept the offer, or who I should contact to discuss this at UCL?

Do I just give Admissions a call? I'm on a very tight budget and this would be an international call for me which is why I'm trying to figure this out online first :smile:

I'd recommend you send admissions an email as soon as you can. That way you'll be able to get an answer sooner (although there's a slight problem now we're running into the Christmas period. However, if you can't get into contact with admissions directly, it might help to contact the department's office by email that way.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I'd recommend you send admissions an email as soon as you can. That way you'll be able to get an answer sooner (although there's a slight problem now we're running into the Christmas period. However, if you can't get into contact with admissions directly, it might help to contact the department's office by email that way.

Thank you so much! I'll email admissions now then.
Hello, I was just invited for medical interview to UCL. I am an overseas applicant, and unfortunately, I have not been to an Open day. I just wanted to find out about student life in UCL. How is the atmosphere? How is the student population? I have heard from an alumnus that the student population and atmosphere is very "diverse". Is it true? I would appreciate a current UCL student's perspective. :smile:
Does UCL send any emails telling applicants that they will need more time for consideration because it's Christmas and they have an off from work? Thank you!
Original post by mumollypolly
Does UCL send any emails telling applicants that they will need more time for consideration because it's Christmas and they have an off from work? Thank you!

No because all unis are like that. You still have until March/May so don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending