The Student Room Group

Time to give anonimity to rape suspects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by The_Internet
Oh dear...Tbh there are sexists on both sides here and a name like that does sound like it'd be a sexist site

Also tbh I don't like TwinPeaks comments here as they also seem a pretty sexist (towards men)

Read the article instead of jumping to conclusions. The easiest thing anyone can do is prejudicially dismiss someone without hearing what they have to say.
Reply 141
Original post by abruiseonthesky
While I completely disagree with the death penalty, are you seriously saying rape is a woman's feelings being hurt?

Yeah, when it doesn't cause any physical harm, it's an extreme case, and is horrible in of itself. But that is what it is. Rape Trauma Syndrome doesn't really posit that women's bodies are hurt, after all, but they are psychologically damaged. Read your own feminist literature.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 41b
Read the article instead of jumping to conclusions. The easiest thing anyone can do is prejudicially dismiss someone without hearing what they have to say.

Tbh I wouldn't really use storefront as a source even if they had something great to say tbh. Maybe that is prejudiced but a site with a name like that doesn't inspire confidence that it won't be biased (Equally, I'd have issues with a site that slates all men in the name)
Reply 143
Tbh I wouldn't really use storefront as a source even if they had something great to say tbh. Maybe that is prejudiced but a site with a name like that doesn't inspire confidence that it won't be biased (Equally, I'd have issues with a site that slates all men in the name)

It's called boys men education. Does educating boys and men mean slating women? What else are my posts in this thread, for example?
Original post by 41b
It's called boys men education. Does educating boys and men mean slating women? What else are my posts in this thread, for example?

Perhaps not however "girls women education" is also quite likely to be biased.
Original post by Twinpeaks
When you say you've looked into methodologies yourself, you chose methodologies which perfectly support your goal of refuting the claims, which is pretty easy because there's 100s out there. I've just studied this as a final year module, and ever study is read had made clear distinctions between rape and sexual harassment/ assault.

So provide evidence, of good journal articles that published such studies please.

Well yes but it's the ones with poor methodologies and inflated rape statistics which make the most impact. I'm sure there is plenty of principled work on the subject that never sees the light of day.

The Wikipedia article on Campus sexual assault summarises the various objections well or the following articles will do to be going on with.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/no-1-in-5-women-have-not-been-raped-on-college-campuses/article/2551980

http://www.mindingthecampus.org/2014/11/the-mit-rape-study-and-other-sloppy-surveys/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/02/12/obamas-claim-that-one-in-five-american-women-have-been-raped/

http://time.com/3633903/campus-rape-1-in-5-sexual-assault-setting-record-straight/

The last is by the authors of the 2007 Campus Sexual Assault Study urging caution in the reporting of their findings.

If the studies you've been reading have been methodologically sound, I will take you at your word: but cite them if you can and detail their findings. What do they report for the prevalence of rape and other types of sexual assault?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nununu
What about the wonen who make rape allegations? They might be less willing to come forward.

Women who have been raped should not be ashamed, they have done nothing wrong. Why would they be less likely to come forward?
Reply 147
Perhaps not however "girls women education" is also quite likely to be biased.

I wouldn't think so. Jezebel, sure. Girls women education is clearly just trying to help women. Boys men education is trying to help men.

The problem really is that social conversation has shifted so far into the feminist ideological arena that unbiased reporting of issues that affect men is considered biased and sexist.
Original post by 41b
Yeah, when it doesn't cause any physical harm, it's an extreme case, and is horrible in of itself. But that is what it is. Rape Trauma Syndrome doesn't really posit that women's bodies are hurt, after all, but they are psychologically damaged. Read your own feminist literature.

To reduce that to "feelings being hurt" is quite as egregious as to inflate it to "rape trauma syndrome". Don't spin.
Original post by Lord_hanson
Women who have been raped should not be ashamed, they have done nothing wrong. Why would they be less likely to come forward?

Because the experience is traumatic to recount and furthermore they know the chance of conviction is low.
Reply 150
Original post by scrotgrot
To reduce that to "feelings being hurt" is quite as egregious as to inflate it to "rape trauma syndrome". Don't spin.

A woman's feelings and thoughts are her psychology. RTS is a psychological theory.

Death for rape is an extreme inversion of consequences in the name of justice. Rape is terrible, but death is a multiples worse. Catcalling is not remotely comparable to one-to-three years in prison. Looking at a woman should not land you in jail. Do you disagree?
Original post by Twinpeaks
Go on google scholar, and give me some stats on false rape allegations. And stop referring to it as "FRA"s it's conjuring imagines of a fetid, Red Pill user.

You have become more misandrist. Imagine if I was on here using words like foetid about a woman. I am disappoint if people studying gender studies are all as biased and fond of ad hominem as you seem to be, I had hoped that there would be less of this nonsense among the younger generation of feminists.
Original post by 41b
A woman's feelings and thoughts are her psychology. RTS is a psychological theory.

Death for rape is an extreme inversion of consequences in the name of justice. Rape is terrible, but death is a multiples worse. Catcalling is not remotely comparable to one-to-three years in prison. Looking at a woman should not land you in jail. Do you disagree?

What is the relevance of that digression?
Because the experience is traumatic to recount and furthermore they know the chance of conviction is low.

But they have these feelings regardless of whether they are anonymous or not. I was replying to your quote about victims not having anonymity.
But they have these feelings regardless of whether they are anonymous or not. I was replying to your quote about victims not having anonymity.

I suppose it would be best to ask a rape victim, I don't know why it would be something to be ashamed of. The only thing if it was me would be the fear of reprisals. If you accuse a man and you are named he might come round your house with a baseball bat or hell, he might even rape you again...!
Reply 155
What is the relevance of that digression?

So you don't disagree. :smile:
I suppose it would be best to ask a rape victim, I don't know why it would be something to be ashamed of. The only thing if it was me would be the fear of reprisals. If you accuse a man and you are named he might come round your house with a baseball bat or hell, he might even rape you again...!

Most rapists already know their victims so that wouldn't make a difference.
Original post by 41b
The sad part of it is not so much that they are dishonest - they are - but that they consider a woman having her feelings hurt as being equivalent to rape. French feminist parliamentarians wanted to introduce "Eye rape" legislation. Catcalling can get you a one to three year jail sentence in Portugal. Rape carries the death penalty in India. A woman's feelings are literally worth more than a man's life.

If rape is just "a woman's feelings", I can extend that to many crimes.

Why do we have the death penalty, or life imprisonment, for murder? The murder victim is hardly going to care one way or the other, is he?

No, we do it in part because of the feelings of his family. They want retribution.

And you can take feelings out of rape if you want: it's still a violent crime like any other, achieved either with actual or threatened violence.

Even if you contend that rape need not involve even a threat of violence, we have things like force-feeding, which is the only other thing I can think of which involves inserting something into someone else's body against their will. That is considered torture/abuse.
Original post by 41b
So you don't disagree. :smile:

Of course I don't: the comment was deliberately constructed so that no reasonable person could disagree, in an attempt to claim that we are on the same side. It's a common debating tactic called a straw man.

So you admit the comment was irrelevant. :smile:
Most rapists already know their victims so that wouldn't make a difference.

But a serial offender would not know which woman was accusing him, and a one-off rapist is likely not to have been in a situation where it was obviously rape.

There is also an argument that stranger rape is a greater concern for police as it indicates a committed criminal who could strike anyone at any time, possibly using violence.

So if moves to increase reporting only increase reporting of stranger rape, I'd imagine the police are quite happy with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending