The Student Room Group

Why are more and more people going to University if graduate unemployment is high?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
I stand corrected good sir!

Ahem
:ninjagirl:
Original post by Vanny17
I agree there are not worthwhile degrees, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing as "crappy" Universities, they wouldn't function if they were "crappy". Universities are standardized for a reason. Take biomedical science for example, most IBMS universities or "crappy" ones as you say are accredited, meaning you don't have to do a top up to meet the IBMS requirement, which eases the pathway into being full qualified. Why would IBMS certified these "crappy" universities then? :rolleyes:

NB: I know someone from Londonmet (shock horror :eek:) who has a job at Glaxosmithkline. I guess the "crappy" University they attended was not "crappy" after all then, if someone from Russell group or non "crappy" Universities cannot even find a job, talk less of being a scientist for Glaxosmithkline.

Most student on TSR really are living in a fairy tale of Russell group Universities/ degree prestige :lol:. At the end of the day, experience is all that matters, no one cares what Universities you got your degree from :lol:

You're talking about a STEM degree accredited by a professional body, if it was a humanities degree from a low ranked uni they'd be up against it due to the sheer number of graduates from the higher ranked institutions. You can still do well for yourself but it will be a more difficult road.

That's not me being a d*ck, I don't agree with these prejudices but they do exist, hence why I've only applied to the RG/1994 Group.
Original post by TSRFT8
You used one example meanwhile the majority of the other graduates from **** unis are still asking if i would like to go large for 30p extra now shut up.

That's really not true, it just shows how miss informed you are. Yes for some things prestige does matter (law, finance, research to a extent (though not the most important factor by far)) most employers don't care, especially for things like engineering, nursing, dentistry, medicine, computer science (in fact sometimes going to a more prestige uni is a disadvantage for this one)
Original post by TSRFT8
Right so an individual going for a job in investment banking has the same chances from LSE as he would from an ex poly. Dont be so daft employers want the best people for their jobs. If you were an employer within any sector who would you rather employ a LSE graduate or a LMU graduate.

You just chose the example that I said prestige matters for haha, now whos being an idiot. But still internships and networking would outway prestige, however these things would be a lot easier to get at target universities

For the bit in bold, thats not how most employers think in most sectors (exception to the ones I mentioned). They just want the best people, which is normally determined by many tests during the application process and the ones with experience
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Honey126
Why are more and more people going to university, even though graduate unemployment is very high and student fees have risen? I understand for Medicine, but for pretty much every other degree, such as Psychology, Philosophy History etc. When there just are barely any jobs for the graduates

Because they are still drinking the Kool-Aid and have been brainwashed. They can't get their heads around the idea that crane operator earns more in a month than some of their generic degrees will earn them in a year.

Their parents and the educational establishment have fed them this **** for years. There's still an idiotic belief that a degree shows you can commit to something for three years and that makes you valuable to a employer, almost regardless of the content of that degree. (May have been true in the 70's - not true today)

Until this all changes there'll never be a shortage of fat bottoms to fill the seats in the lecture halls.

And society at large looks down upon people that get their hands dirty. There's a perception, also false, that people with degrees that wear a shirt and tie in an office are successful whereas people without degrees that wear boiler suits outside are failures.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Howard
Because they are still drinking the Kool-Aid and have been brainwashed. They can't get their heads around the idea that crane operator earns more in a month than some of their generic degrees will earn them in a year.

Don't you have three degrees or something?
Original post by TSRFT8
My bad i misread i thought finance was on the other list :tongue: however i do see for some sectors it may not matter but for a lot of degrees it does. You mentioned networking and internships and like you said yourself it is far easier to get an internship if you are from a RG university. It is not to say that NO ONE from say DMU will ever get a job but the chances are significantly lower than respected/good universities.

I meant that it would be easier to get internships for finance from a target uni not internships in any sector. You arent disadvantaged for applying to internships/jobs in most sectors because of the uni you went to, the employer is looking at you as a person not the university you went to

I am right to assume you are not yet at university?

Until you've been to a few careers fairs, applied for a few internships etc and have friends at unis that are considered lower than yours you wont see how little the difference between prestigious and not makes.
Original post by PQ
Ahem
:ninjagirl:

I stand corrected Ma'am
what do you think the govt should do to addressing the fact so many people are going uni?
Original post by scrawlx101
what do you think the govt should do to addressing the fact so many people are going uni?

Celebrate?
Original post by Vanny17
I agree there are not worthwhile degrees, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing as "crappy" Universities, they wouldn't function if they were "crappy". Universities are standardized for a reason. Take biomedical science for example, most IBMS universities or "crappy" ones as you say are accredited, meaning you don't have to do a top up to meet the IBMS requirement, which eases the pathway into being full qualified. Why would IBMS certified these "crappy" universities then? :rolleyes:

NB: I know someone from Londonmet (shock horror :eek:) who has a job at Glaxosmithkline. I guess the "crappy" University they attended was not "crappy" after all then, if someone from Russell group or non "crappy" Universities cannot even find a job, talk less of being a scientist for Glaxosmithkline.

Most student on TSR really are living in a fairy tale of Russell group Universities/ degree prestige :lol:. At the end of the day, experience is all that matters, no one cares what Universities you got your degree from :lol:

I specified crappy degrees at crappy universities for a reason, I wasn't referring to science degrees. Some degrees have average salaries after 6 months of employment that are barely better minimum wage.

Universities certainly are not standardised. Even biomedical sciences is a poor example of standardisation. Accreditation in biomedical sciences apply for those wishing do work in the NHS. Most of the more research focused universities don't bother with accreditation for a reason - it places limitation on what they teach.
Being a graduate in the job market gives you a decent advantage over those without a degree in some respects. Certainly in the future when moving up the ranks in a company. Having that said experience regardless of qualifications is critical.

Kudos to those who pursue meaningful apprenticeships and other vocational options though.
Reply 52
Original post by callum_law
Don't you have three degrees or something?

Sure. That just means I'm over-educated.
Reply 53
The majority of students are f*cked.

/thread
I went to university, graduated now have a top job for a marketign firm. To get a decant job you need to do more then just study. I undertook voluntary work, help run societies, got an internship. Plus I attended networking events in which I met my employer .If you have no experience then you are unlikely to get a decent job at the end.
Original post by TSRFT8
So you are implying that a Oxbridge graduate and a DMU graduate have the same chance of getting graduate employment? Please do continue to prove such a stupid point.

Yes, "stupid".

1) I didn't ever claim to be referring to "graduates". But I should expect people like you to alter my words to suit your agendas.

2) You've also decided to go to a completely extreme case, which is why I worded my original one by saying the individual is "99%", leaving room for mongs' extreme examples like yours.

If someone goes to a "top" University, and fails, they will not be earning more than someone who exceeded, and did outstandingly, at a "lesser" University. Its very simple to understand, and I'm surprised you thought I was so wrong you jumped straight to insults.

Stop with them elitist ideologies, people can be well payed wherever they go, as long as they work very hard and exceed contextually. Which is the exact reason many people without a degree can go on to earn well.
Original post by TSRFT8
Well obviously if someone fails from a good university compared to someone with a first. Im comparing two people with first one from RG and one from non RG who would employers prefer?

There are many universities from the 1994 group and a few others that are on par with the majority of RG unis so you can't make such comparison.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Firstly no they don't secondly you ignore the stupid long hours. Obviously if someone does not value time then medicine is up there. The shift at the moment is moving from medicine to engineering / technology, but I thought that was pretty obvious.

Not really. Doctors are paid the exact amounts he's quoting. Also engineering/tech salaries are generally lower than Dr salaries even in this country where the doctor pay is horrible. Yeah they work more hours for that money though. Go to a country like Australia or America and compare the salaries of an engineer/tech expert to a doctor, a doctor usually earns twice as much. Not to say the salary is bad in any of those fields. It isn't.
Original post by ron_trns
Not really. Doctors are paid the exact amounts he's quoting. Also engineering/tech salaries are generally lower than Dr salaries even in this country where the doctor pay is horrible. Yeah they work more hours for that money though. Go to a country like Australia or America and compare the salaries of an engineer/tech expert to a doctor, a doctor usually earns twice as much. Not to say the salary is bad in any of those fields. It isn't.

There's a reason the number of Medicine applicants is shooting down lol
The problem is that UCAS and the idea that a degree will guarantee you a job is shoved down the throat of every student. And because everyone else is going, students feel as though it's obligatory.Even though graduates do, on average, earn more than a person who isn't educated to degree level, universities only provide the teaching and not the experience. When you've got 500 graduates competing for the same job, it's hard to distinguish yourself because you don't have the experience like someone who took a gap year and did an apprenticeship or something. It's sad that vocational courses aren't taken as seriously as they should because apparently if you don't go to university you're not as bright as those who do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending