The Student Room Group

Should i drop out?

Im in my first year of university and am experiencing very low mood all the time, being a commuter feels like everyone is together and you're the outsider.

I don't like my course, I haven't made friends because i have no motivation to go in and i dont think a chemistry degree is really going to get me as far as a different degree such as computer science would. This is because i dont want a job in a lab.

My uni keeps setting bs group projects that are about bs topics and all my coursework is peer marked because lecturers are lazy to actually teach. The lectures make no sense (lecturers also have no intention on getting to know there students or caring about who you are) and labs are so time consuming. dont get me started on them lab reports.

My course is pretty much full of internationals who dont rlly talk to home students and kind of just huddle together speaking another language. So meeting people on my course is kind of a dead end. I cant be bothered to join societies because most events are in the evening which means i would have to stay at university all day trying to get work done. but there is no place to study as every study place is pretty much always taken or if you find a seat someone tells you to get out bc they booked it so ill end up getting no work done. Ill also have to skip dinner or go out to eat multiple times in expensive london to go to such events. not worth it imo.

Tbh just cant see myself having a life or enjoying the next 3 years
(edited 5 months ago)
Rather than focusing on what's wrong with your current situation think about what you would prefer.

Would you be willing to go to university outside London and live in halls to reduce your commute and make you feel more part of a community?

Most chemistry grads don't work in a lab (and CS has the highest unemployment rate of any subject so isn't a great fall back option). Have you looked at different chemistry degrees to see if there's any courses out there that are taught differently? London universities are known for their poor teaching (because the staff are dealing with the same crap as the students - expensive rents, long stressful commutes, high cost of living etc etc plus there's a pressure on many staff at "top" universities to neglect teaching and focus on their research outputs instead)...do you think a better taught chemistry degree might suit you better or is there another subject that you find yourself reading about and looking into in your free time?
Original post by omgwha
Im in my first year of university and am experiencing very low mood all the time, being a commuter feels like everyone is together and you're the outsider.

I don't like my course, I haven't made friends because i have no motivation to go in and i dont think a chemistry degree is really going to get me as far as a different degree such as computer science would. This is because i dont want a job in a lab.

The tube is full of weirdos every day and old men keep sitting next to me.

My uni keeps setting bs group projects that are about bs topics and all my coursework is peer marked because lecturers are lazy to actually teach. The lectures make no sense (lecturers also have no intention on getting to know there students or caring about who you are) and labs are so time consuming. dont get me started on them lab reports.

My course is pretty much full of internationals who dont rlly talk to home students and kind of just huddle together speaking another language. So meeting people on my course is kind of a dead end. I cant be bothered to join societies because most events are in the evening which means i would have to stay at university all day trying to get work done. but there is no place to study as every study place is pretty much always taken or if you find a seat someone tells you to get out bc they booked it so ill end up getting no work done. Ill also have to skip dinner or go out to eat multiple times in expensive london to go to such events. not worth it imo.

I think you should you obviously don’t like the course and commuting has crippled your social life you're clearly not happy the university. I’d got somewhere where you can get home if you want but it makes more sense to live down there for instance I live in Reading but lived in Southampton while at uni. So was close enough to go home for the weekend if I wanted to but rent worked out cheaper than train fairs at the time so maybe look at something like that where rent is cheaper than the train.I think you should you obviously don’t like the course and commuting has crippled your social life you're clearly not happy the university. I’d got somewhere where you can get home if you want but it makes more sense to live down there for instance I live in Reading but lived in Southampton while at uni. So was close enough to go home for the weekend if I wanted to but rent worked out cheaper than train fairs at the time so maybe look at something like that where rent is cheaper than the train.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Rather than focusing on what's wrong with your current situation think about what you would prefer.

Would you be willing to go to university outside London and live in halls to reduce your commute and make you feel more part of a community?

Most chemistry grads don't work in a lab (and CS has the highest unemployment rate of any subject so isn't a great fall back option). Have you looked at different chemistry degrees to see if there's any courses out there that are taught differently? London universities are known for their poor teaching (because the staff are dealing with the same crap as the students - expensive rents, long stressful commutes, high cost of living etc etc plus there's a pressure on many staff at "top" universities to neglect teaching and focus on their research outputs instead)...do you think a better taught chemistry degree might suit you better or is there another subject that you find yourself reading about and looking into in your free time?

Where did you hear the statistic that CS has the highest unemployment rate? i find that hard to believe. But thanks for the advice I'll try to look into my options.
Reply 4
Original post by jonathanemptage
I think you should you obviously don’t like the course and commuting has crippled your social life you're clearly not happy the university. I’d got somewhere where you can get home if you want but it makes more sense to live down there for instance I live in Reading but lived in Southampton while at uni. So was close enough to go home for the weekend if I wanted to but rent worked out cheaper than train fairs at the time so maybe look at something like that where rent is cheaper than the train.I think you should you obviously don’t like the course and commuting has crippled your social life you're clearly not happy the university. I’d got somewhere where you can get home if you want but it makes more sense to live down there for instance I live in Reading but lived in Southampton while at uni. So was close enough to go home for the weekend if I wanted to but rent worked out cheaper than train fairs at the time so maybe look at something like that where rent is cheaper than the train.

Ty for the advice :smile:Ill try see what i can do but dropping out of university is a hard decision because reapplying is a whole process and i would be losing money
Original post by omgwha

The tube is full of weirdos every day and old men keep sitting next to me.

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. I think that it may be worth visiting your tutor to discuss how you're feeling. They can advise you on how to move forward and who to refer to for more help. I found that university was really impersonal in the first and even second year.

In terms of making friends on your course, I realise that this can be a challenge but it's best to just take the pressure off and just focus on chatting to people and see how it goes. I'm sorry that I can't help more.
All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff Uni Rep
Hi,

My advice, like the above posts, is to go and speak to your academic tutor ASAP!

At the end of the day, you are paying all of that money, and if you aren't enjoying it, then you shouldn't keep doing the same thing - you should make some changes. That doesn't necessarily mean dropping out permanently.

You could try:
-I don't know your circumstances, but maybe moving onto campus might be good - you will make some friends and feel like you are a part of the community. Living on campus is easier as well because then you wouldn't have to get the tube, and you would have more opportunities to get involved in societies. :smile:

-Maybe take a year out, this will be facilitated by the university - go back and have a fresh start next year.

-Again, I don't know your university, but Lancaster has an Academic Rep system, and your university might have something similar. Students are encouraged to get involved with the functioning of the department and their courses. By doing this you could tell your department how they could improve their inclusivity, or make their courses more interesting/easier to understand.

-Swap your course - maybe you will find something else more interesting.

-Swap the university - the university just might not fit your vibe; maybe consider other nearby universities, or moving further afield to a different one next year.

-If you feel like university isn't for you, there is no shame in leaving and finding yourself a job.

Ultimately, if you aren't enjoying yourself, don't sit back and wait for it to improve because it probably won't. Do what is right for you :smile:

I hope this post helps somewhat, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Tyler (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by omgwha
Ty for the advice :smile:Ill try see what i can do but dropping out of university is a hard decision because reapplying is a whole process and i would be losing money

Reapplying isn’t so bad I did it when I dropped out and you’re only loosing 1 semester worth or tuition you get 4 years of funding available to you for reasons like this.
Original post by omgwha
Where did you hear the statistic that CS has the highest unemployment rate? i find that hard to believe. But thanks for the advice I'll try to look into my options.

I didn't hear it - it's been true for years - so much that the government have done multiple reviews into the problem like https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/computer-science-degree-accreditation-and-graduate-employability-shadbolt-review and employment organisations run articles on it regularly https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/information-technology/why-your-computer-science-degree-wont-get-you-it-job
ComputingGO.PNG
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/sb266/figure-10
Chemistry falls under "Physical Sciences" in that data
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
I didn't hear it - it's been true for years - so much that the government have done multiple reviews into the problem like https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/computer-science-degree-accreditation-and-graduate-employability-shadbolt-review and employment organisations run articles on it regularly https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/information-technology/why-your-computer-science-degree-wont-get-you-it-job
ComputingGO.PNG
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/sb266/figure-10
Chemistry falls under "Physical Sciences" in that data

I see thanks for the info :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending