The Student Room Group

A police man stopped me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Impressive
Are you sure it was policeman?

I've seen some recent news about person who claimed to be one, and it also was a warning to all people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it in south london?
Original post by Reue
I'm saying it wasn't a random stop, more likely the police officer had a reason but did not disclose it.

The police always have reasons for their stop and searches (or just stops). Except their reason can just be 'suspicious behaviour' and sometimes being black with your hood up is enough to be suspicious. Which obviously shouldn't be valid.
Original post by 0lut0
Was it in south london?

I don't remember to be honest. It was about 2 weeks ago so my mind is blank.

I was trying to look for it but couldn't do much with the application itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by dean01234
The police always have reasons for their stop and searches (or just stops). Except their reason can just be 'suspicious behaviour' and sometimes being black with your hood up is enough to be suspicious. Which obviously shouldn't be valid.

Police have powers to stop and question at any time. They don't need a reason of 'suspicious behaviour'.

You've continued the OP's theme of entirely guessing what the reasoning was.

I agree that being black with a hood up should not be enough to be suspicious.. and indeed there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that this was the reason anyway.
"do you have a sister" is a strange question to ask for a random stop.

he was probably looking for someone who looked similar (same clothes/height/etc) who was known to have a sister and was wanted for something...
Original post by Reue
Police have powers to stop and question at any time. They don't need a reason of 'suspicious behaviour'.

You've continued the OP's theme of entirely guessing what the reasoning was.

I agree that being black with a hood up should not be enough to be suspicious.. and indeed there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that this was the reason anyway.

But there is also absolutely no evidence to suggest that the police man actually have a reason. You've completely guessed as well. The unfortunate truth is that unjust stops happen frequently enough for it to be just as plausible (if not more) that there wasn't a valid reason.
Reply 26
But there is also absolutely no evidence to suggest that the police man actually have a reason.

And none to suggest they didn't have a reason. As them stopping someone purely because they are racist would be an offence then we presume innocence until guilty. Therefore it is perhaps prudent to assume the police office was innocent with his intentions.

The unfortunate truth is that unjust stops happen frequently enough for it to be just as plausible (if not more) that there wasn't a valid reason.

Source?
Original post by Reue

Source?

For the Met:

Just 19% of stop and searches conducted under PACE Section 1 lead to an arrest.

Only 3% of stop and searches conducted under Section 60 Criminal Justice & Public Order Act lead to an arrest.

And you're 3x more likely to be searched by being black. Obviously there aren't sources to prove whether searches were justified, but if they were then clearly the police are acting on a lot of bad information...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0lut0
So today I had school for a while because my gcses are coming up so we have extra classes and stuff so I was coming home waiting for the bus. And then a police car approaches and he stops and gets out and asks me some dumb questions. This is in south london by the way i'm black as well and I had my hood up cause it's kind of cold then he stops me and he was like "What's your name" I told him then he was like "Where do you live" I gave him a rough location then I was like I just came back from school and then he was like "Do you have a sister?" I was like no then he walked and drove off.
This was a weird experience because it's the first time i've been stopped by police and i'm not even a bad kid...
Racism..?

The questions make it sound like they might have been looking for someone matching your rough description, or something along those lines. People are always going to be naturally suspicious of anyone with their hoods up too, it's just a stereotype I'm afraid.

I wouldn't worry about it :cute:
A similar thing happened to my friend, it turned out there had been a girl who got shot and they needed to find a family member. They only knew a few details so where driving around asking people questions like that to see if they fit the decision. It might have been like that
As you can see. There are many reasons. There is no need to lie if you want to know the why he asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0lut0
So today I had school for a while because my gcses are coming up so we have extra classes and stuff so I was coming home waiting for the bus. And then a police car approaches and he stops and gets out and asks me some dumb questions. This is in south london by the way i'm black as well and I had my hood up cause it's kind of cold then he stops me and he was like "What's your name" I told him then he was like "Where do you live" I gave him a rough location then I was like I just came back from school and then he was like "Do you have a sister?" I was like no then he walked and drove off.
This was a weird experience because it's the first time i've been stopped by police and i'm not even a bad kid...
Racism..?

hes clearly looking for someone else
Original post by 0lut0
Racism..?

Next time this happens, you are well within your rights to note down his Collar number, this will be the number that sits on his shoulder. If you feel like they are harassing you, call 101 and tell them you wish to make a complaint on an officer, quote his collar number and explain to them what happened. There may have been a valid reason to stop to talk to you but just in case.

you should note:
police officers have the right to stop you at any time/anywhere to ask 2 things:
1. What you are doing
2. Why you are in the area/where you are going.
NOTE: you DO NOT have to answer these questions.

Anything outside of this I would assume is out of an officer's jurisdiction without bring you in to a station for questioning.

Also, I would imagine the police officers are obliged to tell you who they are and which police station they are part of straight off the bat.

resource: https://www.gov.uk/police-powers-to-stop-and-search-your-rights
it sucks that you appear to be the victim of racial profiling, but the way you reacted was fine. some of these people are saying to ask "what's it your business" or appear disrespectful, which is probably a bad idea if in fact this guy is racist; he might just be looking for an opportunity to cause aggravation and escalate it even though you are innocent. as little as they deserve it, its safer just to respect police officers. just saying in case anyone encounters this in the future.
Reply 34
Original post by DiddyDec
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're a sad little man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by HealthyBeanSnack
it sucks that you appear to be the victim of racial profiling, but the way you reacted was fine. some of these people are saying to ask "what's it your business" or appear disrespectful, which is probably a bad idea if in fact this guy is racist; he might just be looking for an opportunity to cause aggravation and escalate it even though you are innocent. as little as they deserve it, its safer just to respect police officers. just saying in case anyone encounters this in the future.

This is the best post in this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Satanas
This is the best post in this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

aw thanks
Reply 37
Original post by 0lut0
Right now i'm still quite shaken.

Awh you're a sensitive soul aren't you?
Original post by Reue
Why on earth would that make him racist? People get stopped by the police all the time and for many different reasons.

Leave the kid alone he wouldn't be the first to have noticed that a lot of black kids are singled out by police due to stereotypes of black young men and crime/gun crime.
Original post by 0lut0
Racism..?

Is your sister okay? Have you seen her since?

Quick Reply

Latest