The Student Room Group

Phagocytosis, humoral and cell mediated immunity?

I know phagocytosis is non specific to the antigen and cell mediated immunity and humoral are specific.

I'm slightly confused, I don't know if my questions makes any sense but what are the conditions for cell mediated immunity or humoral? As in why isn't phagocytosis sufficient enough, what's so effective about humoral/cell mediated?

I mean I get that's it's specific but it's not like there is multiple antigens in your body so it shouldn't matter either way right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
The immune response is split into two:
-cellular, which is the T cells (t-lymphocyte, helper T cells, cytotoxic T cells and memory T cells)) and other immune system cells that they interact with eg phagocytes. This forms the cellular response
-humoral, this is the B cells, clinal section and the production of monoclonal antibodies- forming the humoral response. These two responses are both required to help remove a pathogen from the body and they interact with each other. Like when T cells activate B cells, and antibodies coat pathogens making it easier for phagocytes to engulf them!
Hope this makes sense and helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by _incomple
The immune response is split into two:
-cellular, which is the T cells (t-lymphocyte, helper T cells, cytotoxic T cells and memory T cells)) and other immune system cells that they interact with eg phagocytes. This forms the cellular response
-humoral, this is the B cells, clinal section and the production of monoclonal antibodies- forming the humoral response. These two responses are both required to help remove a pathogen from the body and they interact with each other. Like when T cells activate B cells, and antibodies coat pathogens making it easier for phagocytes to engulf them!
Hope this makes sense and helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes makes sense, but what is the reason In needing specific immune responses when phagocytes attack any pathogen they encounter? So really they're shouldn't be a need for humoral/cell mediated immunity.
Reply 4
Phagocytes are attracted to a foreign antigen straight away, although they start to kill it and hydrolyse it into harmless debris they cannot completely get rid of the antigen alone, so that's why they send the chemical signal to the T cells and they in turn signal the B cells, the B cells are the antibodies, the antibodies can then become specific to that antigen which helps build up an immunity if or when the antigen is introduced again. If this response didn't occur then no one would become immune as the phagocytes only attack in a non specific way.
??? Did that answer the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Questioness
Yes makes sense, but what is the reason In needing specific immune responses when phagocytes attack any pathogen they encounter? So really they're shouldn't be a need for humoral/cell mediated immunity.

Phagocytic cells can't deal with any pathogen they come across, and they can't really help deal with damage the pathogens have already done. Antibodies help with both of those. For example, they help eosinophils recognise large extracellular parasites like tapeworms which are far too big to be phagocytosed. The eosinophils then secrete digestive enzymes directly onto the surface parasite, hopefully killing it. Antibodies can also directly neutralise toxins excreted by pathogens by specifically binding to those toxins.

Yet another function of antibodies is triggering complement proteins to poke holes in bloodborne bacteria, completely independent of phagocytes; this process makes the immune system more efficiently deadly to pathogens, since phagocytes can't be everywhere at once.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending