The Student Room Group

My dad doesn’t wash his hands after pouring bleach

If there was bleach on his hands how would it affect if he touched bed sheets and clothes
umm he would probs feel it first
Reply 2
i clean our entire house with bleach and everything's fine
If there is a significant amount of bleach left upon his hands, then it could leave marks on clothes and bed-sheets, in the sense that the bleach residue would remove colour from those articles of clothing.
However, if there was a significant amount of bleach left upon his hands, his hands would probably feel uncomfortable and itchy, and so I wouldn't think there could be that much on him in the first place :smile: Also, if he's just pouring bleach, he's unlikely to come into direct contact with it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.
i clean our entire house with bleach and everything's fine

Get you get ill frequently? Interesting program on Radio 4 last night. A mum (researcher / presenter) took swabs with her little girl including her shoes, kitchen surface and play dough. These were then sent for analysis and they discovered new bacteria which could kill things like E-Coli and MSRA from those swabs. Not all bacteria is bad yet we have an unhealthy obsession with killing it. My sister-in-law is obsessed with bleach and as a family they are always ill. We are clean but not obsessively so and none of us have been ill for several years. In fact thinking about it, I think the kids between them have been only been sick twice in their entire lives!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001v3lf
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
Get you get ill frequently? Interesting program on Radio 4 last night. A mum (researcher / presenter) took swabs with her little girl including her shoes, kitchen surface and play dough. These were then sent for analysis and they discovered new bacteria which could kill things like E-Coli and MSRA from those swabs. Not all bacteria is bad yet we have an unhealthy obsession with killing it. My sister-in-law is obsessed with bleach and as a family they are always ill. We are clean but not obsessively so and none of us have been ill for several years. In fact thinking about it, I think the kids between them have been only been sick twice in their entire lives!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001v3lf

kinda but its just me , my boyfriend is fine. my body's always been weak. nothing to do with the bleach. i even wash my hands with it sometimes, lmao. i need that clean-feeling in my life. cant stand the smell of food on my hands
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
kinda but its just me , my boyfriend is fine. my body's always been weak. nothing to do with the bleach. i even wash my hands with it sometimes, lmao. i need that clean-feeling in my life. cant stand the smell of food on my hands

Maybe your body needs some immunity? Bit o' muck never hurt anyone. I note that the current science of gut biomes is seeing foetal transplants as possible solution to a weak immune system. E.g. medical injection of poo into the stomach.

Don't wash your hands with bleech though. The alkaline reacts with the oil in your skin creating that soapy feel but the result is your skin loses all its oils which in turn causes you to make more oil so you constantly feel greasy. Soap is more than sufficient to kill bacteria as it neutralises the oil film that forms the cell wall.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by hotpud
Maybe your body needs some immunity? Bit o' muck never hurt anyone. I note that the current science of gut biomes is seeing foetal transplants as possible solution to a weak immune system. E.g. medical injection of poo into the stomach.

Don't wash your hands with bleech though. The alkaline reacts with the oil in your skin creating that soapy feel but the result is your skin loses all its oils which in turn causes you to make more oil so you constantly feel greasy. Soap is more than sufficient to kill bacteria as it neutralises the oil film that forms the cell wall.

what do you mean soap 'neutralises the oil film that forms the cell wall'. Soap's PH is like 7 - it doesn't neutralise anything
Reply 8
Original post by hotpud

what in the world are you talking about? what injections? : O

meh, bleach is sometimes the only way. like after i have to touch food with my bare hands,
Reply 9
Original post by ohyegodsmyroast
what do you mean soap 'neutralises the oil film that forms the cell wall'. Soap's PH is like 7 - it doesn't neutralise anything

A bacteria cell's outer skin is made of fat. What happens when you put washing up liquid (soap) into a greasy pan (fat)? The soap breaks the fat down. That is exactly what happens when you wash your hands. Any bacteria or viruses on your hand come into contact with the soap and the fatty cell wall is destroyed. Once that is destroyed, the whole thing is destroyed.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+does+soap+kill+bacteria&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB924GB924&oq=how+does+soap+k&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgAEAAYgAQyBwgAEAAYgAQyBggBEEUYOTIHCAIQABiABDIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ff33488f,vid:kfbU9Ie9tFc,st:0

Bleach works in a similar way, but the chemical reaction is different. The bleach reacts with the oil and forms soap (Y8 chemistry). Except bleach on your skin is bad because it strips your skin of all its natural oils.
Reply 10
Original post by Ciel.

meh, bleach is sometimes the only way. like after i have to touch food with my bare hands,

There is a current hypothesis in the medical research world that our gut biome (the bacteria in our gut) are linked to our immune system and general well being.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0332-7

One of the ways being trialled with regard to raising people with weak immune systems is to do what is called a foetal transplant. It is being used at present to treat patients who have antibiotic resistance to bacteria like Clostridium difficile
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/fecal-transplant

In other words, being super clean in terms of personal hygiene and your immediate environment isn't actually very good for you because you need contact with lots of different bacteria, many of which are very good and beneficial to our health. If you live in a sterile environment you don't have contact with those bacteria and as a consequence, your health suffers.

It is a contradictory argument, but I would hypothesise that the cleaner you are, the more unhealthy you become.
Original post by hotpud
A bacteria cell's outer skin is made of fat. What happens when you put washing up liquid (soap) into a greasy pan (fat)? The soap breaks the fat down. That is exactly what happens when you wash your hands. Any bacteria or viruses on your hand come into contact with the soap and the fatty cell wall is destroyed. Once that is destroyed, the whole thing is destroyed.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+does+soap+kill+bacteria&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB924GB924&oq=how+does+soap+k&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgAEAAYgAQyBwgAEAAYgAQyBggBEEUYOTIHCAIQABiABDIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ff33488f,vid:kfbU9Ie9tFc,st:0

Bleach works in a similar way, but the chemical reaction is different. The bleach reacts with the oil and forms soap (Y8 chemistry). Except bleach on your skin is bad because it strips your skin of all its natural oils.

that clip is about viruses, not bacteria. But yh you're correct soap emulsifies lipids and this can help lift fat and microorganisms will lipid structures off your hands or even break their structure apart. but the soap doesn't neutralise (if u mean the chemical meaning) anything. And bleach works in a completely different way - it actually does break cells down (rather than emulsify lipids and tear the bacterial cell structure apart through mechanical action) by oxidation.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ohyegodsmyroast
that clip is about viruses, not bacteria. But yh you're correct soap emulsifies lipids and this can help lift fat and microorganisms will lipid structures off your hands or even break their structure apart. but the soap doesn't neutralise (if u mean the chemical meaning) anything. And bleach works in a completely different way - it actually does break cells down (rather than emulsify lipids and tear the bacterial cell structure apart through mechanical action) by oxidation.

Forgive my ignorance of not using the correct term. I do know that soap acts on bacteria and viruses in exactly the same way, attacking the fat element of each. I apologise if neutralise is the wrong word but given that in both cases, soap renders the virus or bacteria ineffective and harmless, one could say they are neutralised. You can neutralise an enemy. You can neutralise a bacteria. At no point did I make reference to neutralisation in terms of pH level.

And yes - I understand bleach works differently. My point though is that bleach is way worse for your hands. You should wash with soap. That is why bleach has a massive "Corrosive substance" symbol on it.

Soap is entirely effective in cleaning your hands of harmful bacteria and viruses.
Reply 13
Original post by Ciel.

Hotpud meant faecal and not the rather more unfortunate foetal.
Reply 14
Original post by gjd800
Hotpud meant faecal and not the rather more unfortunate foetal.

not sure which one is worse ; (

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending