The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

A warning about UWE

This is to any prospective students at UWE.

I am a student at UWE, currently in my second year. I chose UWE as my first choice university because:
- I liked the course content
- I liked how it is a campus university
- And other minor reasons, like accommodation, etc.

Although I have enjoyed most aspects of my course. UWE is not what I'd thought it would be.
- I thought others coming to UWE would have also chose it for being a campus university; how wrong I was! Most others I know chose it partly because it's in Bristol, so the nightlife is good. Many people come from London and Cardiff and choose the university because they want to be in a big city, not on a campus in a smaller place. This means that many of the people at UWE (not everyone) but a lot of people are more that way inclined - they are outgoing and all about living the city lifestyle. Don't get me wrong - I like to go out and have a fun time, and Bristol is a nice city, but I thought that UWE would have more of a community on campus, which it lacks. I thought that activites would be centred around the campus and just go into town for a night out once a week or so, but that's not the case. I think this is also because:
- The SU is shocking - too small (even though it's newly built) and very few activites there other than clubnights. There are lots of clubs, but I feel that unless you are into sport, an international student, or religious, there are few other societies for you. There's no baking or cooking society, for example, and many of the subject socieities or charities are not very active. There's also no music groups. There are music groups run by the centre for performing arts, but most of the members of theses are from the local community, meaning that friendships from these are limited.
- Accommodation - before coming to UWE, I thought the vast majority of first year students lived on campus, with just a few choosing to live in halls in the city centre. However, the student village only has around 2,000 beds; carroll court 200 approx and wallscourt around 400. This means that many students do not ever live on campus during their time at UWE. This is partly why there is a lack of a "campus feeling" at UWE. Also, the campus' location means that there are limited numbers of student houses located near it. And those that are near are usually very expensive because they are on modern housing estates. Also, they lack any nearby aminities that are within walking distance, like shops and pubs. This means that many second and third years have to travel long distances to univeristy each day. With the congestion in Bristol being so bad, it can take upto 30 minutes for many students to get home each day.

Overall, UWE is not what I thought it would be. I do like my course, and there are good things about the univeristy, such as bookable workspaces, 24 hour library, the sports centre and the quality of the accommodation on offer, so I am not trying to slate the univeristy. I am just warning prospective students what UWE is actually like. If you are looking for the big city lifestyle, it will suit you fine, but for others who are looking for a smaller, campus environment with a sense on community and belonging, it may not be the univeristy for you. From speaking to people at other universities, I recommend looking at places such as UEA, Exeter, York, and Lancaster if you are looking more for that kind of environment.
Reply 1
Original post by Music8

It honestly seems like you wanted a very specific style of University, and with that indication, you should have researched the University you were applying to a lot more. I will be applying to UWE, and I know that it is a campus on the outskirts, I know how long it will take to travel, I know where the City campuses are, I know what the campus community is like, etc etc. I did my research because I will potentially be spending the next 4 (placement) years of my life there.

Instead of making a 'warning about UWE', it appears you should be making a 'warning about not researching the University you want to attend'.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by celloel
It honestly seems like you wanted a very specific style of University, and with that indication, you should have researched the University you were applying to a lot more. I will be applying to UWE, and I know that it is a campus on the outskirts, I know how long it will take to travel, I know where the City campuses are, I know what the campus community is like, etc etc. I did my research because I will potentially be spending the next 4 (placement) years of my life there.

Instead of making a 'warning about UWE', it appears you should be making a 'warning about not researching the University you want to attend'.

Actually, I extensively research the univeristy before applying. I visited twice and knew all of those facts you have mentioned. If I hadn't researched as much, I could only blame myself and I would not have written this thread.
I'm in my 3rd year and have always felt that Frenchay campus has been pretty homely, I loved living in the student village! Ok the traffic is not ideal but it's a big city, get a bicycle and you can be home in 12 mins instead of 40 :wink:

You have 1 year left now and next year won't have time to go out or visit the SU so that's the least of your concerns now (unless you do one of those crap courses where you get 9 hours contact time).

If you don't like the societies, they give you every opportunity to make your own. There was a good food society last year and the people who sort the volunteering opportunities are always emailing me with events.

I agree that the local amenities could be better at the very least pub-wise, however there are 2 large superstores and the Abbey Wood Retail Park just a 20 minute walk away now so at least you have the choice of cheap groceries.
Original post by Music8
This is to any prospective students at UWE.

I had an interview in February at UWE for the Radiography course and got offered a place.
The course is based in the Glenside campus, and when I was there for the interview I found it very dead! There were no students around the campus and there was no buzz around the place at all! Some of the people I met said that most of the life is in the Frenchay campus, but I just found that Glenside had no life at all! It seemed very boring...Maybe the students were on holidays or somehting?? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending