The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

How do they compare: Woodland Court v.s. The Quads.

Leaning towards the quads (lime tree, proximity to the edge and library, great shower, lounge)

Can't seem to find a picture of a standard single en-suite bathroom in woodland court..would be very grateful if someone could share!

Are the Quads more social?
Hi,

I am currently living in the Quads and a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath.

From a proximity perspective, the Quads and Woodland Court are practically the same. Don't base your decision on that! If you take a look at our virtual tour you can see inside the Woodland Court bathrooms. The only real difference between Quads bathrooms and Woodland Court is that Woodland Court is 'wet room' style whilst the Quads is a built in shower.

To me the main differentiators between Woodland Court and the Quads are:

- Catering Credit - Would you spend £27.50 on week being catered, or do you prefer to make your own food?

- Social Space - Quads rooms are slightly smaller than Woodland Court, so with Quads you are paying for social space more than those in Woodland Court who are paying for a larger room. I tell people that if you prefer your own space, go to Woodland Court. This does not mean that Woodland Court is not sociable however, it just means that your own space is there should you need it. One issue that I find with Quads is that the living room is commonly used as a social space for everybody on campus, this means that random people are walking around my flat because somebody in my flat let them in. I personally would have preferred to have kept it as a social space purely for my flat to relax and watch TV. This depends on the nature of those in your flat however, but it can be annoying for people like myself who never invite people around as I get less use of the space.

- Double Bed - I haven't found a single bed in Quads being an issue, despite having a double at home. I know that some people do prefer a double, in which case you should choose Woodland Court.

Original post by bathstudent16
Leaning towards the quads (lime tree, proximity to the edge and library, great shower, lounge)

Can't seem to find a picture of a standard single en-suite bathroom in woodland court..would be very grateful if someone could share!

Are the Quads more social?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

I am currently living in the Quads and a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath.

From a proximity perspective, the Quads and Woodland Court are practically the same. Don't base your decision on that! If you take a look at our virtual tour you can see inside the Woodland Court bathrooms. The only real difference between Quads bathrooms and Woodland Court is that Woodland Court is 'wet room' style whilst the Quads is a built in shower.

To me the main differentiators between Woodland Court and the Quads are:

- Catering Credit - Would you spend £27.50 on week being catered, or do you prefer to make your own food?

- Social Space - Quads rooms are slightly smaller than Woodland Court, so with Quads you are paying for social space more than those in Woodland Court who are paying for a larger room. I tell people that if you prefer your own space, go to Woodland Court. This does not mean that Woodland Court is not sociable however, it just means that your own space is there should you need it. One issue that I find with Quads is that the living room is commonly used as a social space for everybody on campus, this means that random people are walking around my flat because somebody in my flat let them in. I personally would have preferred to have kept it as a social space purely for my flat to relax and watch TV. This depends on the nature of those in your flat however, but it can be annoying for people like myself who never invite people around as I get less use of the space.

- Double Bed - I haven't found a single bed in Quads being an issue, despite having a double at home. I know that some people do prefer a double, in which case you should choose Woodland Court.

Thanks Hayden.

Are you happy with your decision to stay in Quads?

One of the main reasons that I really liked Quads was the social space and the mood lighting, but if the social space really isn't that good, i'm not sure if i'll apply.

What about the kitchen? Is it clean enough to use? The kitchen they showed us on the campus tour was terrifying.
Original post by bathstudent16
Thanks Hayden.

Are you happy with your decision to stay in Quads?

One of the main reasons that I really liked Quads was the social space and the mood lighting, but if the social space really isn't that good, i'm not sure if i'll apply.

What about the kitchen? Is it clean enough to use? The kitchen they showed us on the campus tour was terrifying.

The cleanliness of kitchens really varies throughout campus, however all of them are cleaned twice a week with the exception of a few of the Eastwood buildings. I understand that the girl who shows her flat on the campus tour has quite messy flatmates, sadly this just comes down to luck and could go either way.

In the case of Quads being part-catered, obviously the kitchen will be used less than a self-catered kitchen. The facilities are also very generous, with two ovens and three fridges between ten. Therefore you could argue that if anybody is messy, the impact would be to less of an extent. Again though, it really does come down to luck.

The social space is good, and without sounding like I am repeating myself again it comes down to luck. One flat in Quads chipped in to put table tennis in their living room. Another use it as some a study space and do some relaxed work there together as a flat. Some leave an Xbox in there and play Fifa in the evenings. My flat is slightly more fragmented, therefore we all do our own thing and therefore it is only really one of us using the space at a time with our friends.

I wish I could be more helpful but obviously it is impossible for me to know what the people are like that you will be living with. For me the main reason I went to Quads was for being part-catered and good modern facilities. The occasional living room issues do not bother me too much. I would choose Quads again without a doubt if I was given the choice. You have to weigh it up yourself though!

Hayden

Quick Reply

Latest