The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

Is it easier to get into Oxford than Cambridge for engineering?
It depends (although generally if you can get into one, you can get into both). Oxford care more about GCSE's, Cambridge traditionally cared more about AS UMS (but that is disappearing, so are moving focus to other things such as admissions tests). Cambridge interview far more people, I think Oxford interviews in more depth (you have more interviews).
Reply 2
Original post by gabbersm
Is it easier to get into Oxford than Cambridge for engineering?

2013 engineering acceptances data
Oxford 21.8% success rate
Cambridge 15.2%

But I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on the slightly lower success rate for Cambridge. If you prefer the course, apply there.

NB. Engineering is a much bigger dept at Cambridge

Original post by sweeneyrod
It depends (although generally if you can get into one, you can get into both). Oxford care more about GCSE's, Cambridge traditionally cared more about AS UMS (but that is disappearing, so are moving focus to other things such as admissions tests). Cambridge interview far more people, I think Oxford interviews in more depth (you have more interviews).

Oxford cares *much* more about PAT than GCSEs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Probably Oxford, Cambridge is more oriented towards sciences and engineering so they're going to get the cream of the crop applicants, although equally they'll have more spaces so it'll balance out a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest