The Student Room Group

i have trouble interpreting physics (Hooke`s law) graph, what should i do ?

I need urgent help !
Reply 1
Is there a particular part?
Reply 2
stress and strain graphs
stress/strain graph shows youngs modulus which is used to measure the stiffness of the elastic material
compare springs in parallel and springs in series
the parallel stretch half as much as a single of the same spring
and a series one stretches twice as much as the same single spring
this shows that the extension depends on the area of where the force is acting

so to compare results fairly you use youngs modulus (stress/strain) instead of force/extension to measure the stiffness of a material accurately

from the origin to p (limit of proportionality) the graph obeys hookes law as stress(Force) is proportional to stress(extension).
At E its the elastic limit where beyond this point the material will not return back to its original length (so behaves plastically).

UTS is the maximum stress until the material breaks

when comparing materials, the material (line) that has a big change in the x axis (strain) means it acts elastically more e.g copper
if a material has a big change in the y axis (stress) but no big change in the x axis then it is very brittle and doesnt stretch rather breaks suddenly
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by y_u.know_me
stress and strain graphs

If u were to draw the graphs and label every point of the graph and info, like what the gradient means etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Ishea16
stress/strain graph shows youngs modulus which is used to measure the stiffness of the elastic material
compare springs in parallel and springs in series
the parallel stretch half as much as a single of the same spring
and a series one stretches twice as much as the same single spring
this shows that the extension depends on the area of where the force is acting

so to compare results fairly you use youngs modulus (stress/strain) instead of force/extension to measure the stiffness of a material accurately

from the origin to p (limit of proportionality) the graph obeys hookes law as stress(Force) is proportional to stress(extension).
At E its the elastic limit where beyond this point the material will not return back to its original length (so behaves plastically).

UTS is the maximum stress until the material breaks

when comparing materials, the material (line) that has a big change in the x axis (strain) means it acts elastically more e.g copper
if a material has a big change in the y axis (stress) but no big change in the x axis then it is very brittle and doesnt stretch rather breaks suddenly

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest