The Student Room Group

Returning to University

Hi there, this is my first post...I guess I'm just after some advice regarding my current situation.

I have made many attempts at Higher Education - overall I have attempted 4 degrees - three full time and one part time, and I have withdrawn from all of them for health reasons, except for the part time degree, which quickly became apparent was the wrong course.

I have excellent High School grades - straight A's but was never able to make the transition to University study in large part due to a mental health diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, where I was treated as an inpatient, under Section, 4 times over the years.

Having been with my current partner nearly four years, and in a stable living situation, I am desperate to return to university and leave the repetitive job I am in. I would like to study Chemistry, which I completed one year of previously at Leeds University with the result of a 1st.

I would like to start from the beginning, as it has been a while since I withdrew (2010). I am just unsure as to the student finance implications i.e would I get funding, and if the department would be prepared to take me back, owing that I became somewhat ill the first time around.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by alohamora
Hi there, this is my first post...I guess I'm just after some advice regarding my current situation.

I have made many attempts at Higher Education - overall I have attempted 4 degrees - three full time and one part time, and I have withdrawn from all of them for health reasons, except for the part time degree, which quickly became apparent was the wrong course.

I have excellent High School grades - straight A's but was never able to make the transition to University study in large part due to a mental health diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, where I was treated as an inpatient, under Section, 4 times over the years.

Having been with my current partner nearly four years, and in a stable living situation, I am desperate to return to university and leave the repetitive job I am in. I would like to study Chemistry, which I completed one year of previously at Leeds University with the result of a 1st.

I would like to start from the beginning, as it has been a while since I withdrew (2010). I am just unsure as to the student finance implications i.e would I get funding, and if the department would be prepared to take me back, owing that I became somewhat ill the first time around.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did you use compelling personal reasons to get a year back in the past?
Reply 2
I did use medical evidence in order to gain personal finance when I attempted my third degree, Computer Science, which lasted for one year. Could I claim this again, or is their some kind of limit?
Reply 3
I did use medical evidence in order to gain personal finance when I attempted my third degree, Computer Science, which lasted for one year. Could I claim this again, or is their some kind of limit?

Sorry I mean, student finance, not personal

As your situation is quite complex i m not sure but there probably is a limit, you're going to have to speak to someone at sfe to get this cleared up really.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
As your situation is quite complex i m not sure but there probably is a limit, you're going to have to speak to someone at sfe to get this cleared up really.

Thank you yeah I will call them

Quick Reply

Latest