The Student Room Group

UCAS Personal Statement Preview

Hi
After I copy pasted my personal statement from Notepad into the UCAS text box, I found the preview having a strange line alignment like this:
aaaaaaabbbbbbbbcccccccdddddddeeeeeeffffffff
ggghhhhhhiii
jjjjjjkkkkkkkklllllmmmnnnnooooppppqqqqrrrrrrrss
The next line begins with lots of space left in the previous line.
Moreover, the space of one line between paragraphs of the text box is equal to two lines on Word.
Is this how universities will see my PS?
Original post by Sricheta
Hi
After I copy pasted my personal statement from Notepad into the UCAS text box, I found the preview having a strange line alignment like this:
aaaaaaabbbbbbbbcccccccdddddddeeeeeeffffffff
ggghhhhhhiii
jjjjjjkkkkkkkklllllmmmnnnnooooppppqqqqrrrrrrrss
The next line begins with lots of space left in the previous line.
Moreover, the space of one line between paragraphs of the text box is equal to two lines on Word.
Is this how universities will see my PS?

It sounds like you have carriage returns/new lines in your notepad document. Try changing the page size on your document to find and remove these.

If you want line breaks between paragraphs (a good idea) then you will need to include a full blank line between each paragraph
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It sounds like you have carriage returns/new lines in your notepad document. Try changing the page size on your document to find and remove these.

If you want line breaks between paragraphs (a good idea) then you will need to include a full blank line between each paragraph

Thanks for the reply. I pasted it into notepad, but I don't see any new lines. There are just line breaks (one line each) between paragraphs. However, when I zoom out, the UCAS preview becomes ok. So is it fine or is there an issue?
Thanks for the reply. I pasted it into notepad, but I don't see any new lines. There are just line breaks (one line each) between paragraphs. However, when I zoom out, the UCAS preview becomes ok. So is it fine or is there an issue?

My personal statement is the same and the lines are weird even when I zoom out. I doubt that it will affect anything and I have a feeling that that isn’t how it will show up to the universities, since I have absolutely no lines in my Google Doc version and it still did it when I copy and pasted it.
Reply 4
Original post by renben
My personal statement is the same and the lines are weird even when I zoom out. I doubt that it will affect anything and I have a feeling that that isn’t how it will show up to the universities, since I have absolutely no lines in my Google Doc version and it still did it when I copy and pasted it.

Ok, thanks!
Reply 5
Hi
I have a follow-up question. When I leave a line between paragraphs in the UCAS text box and paste the PS on Word, I see two lines left instead of one. Is this fine?
Hi
I have a follow-up question. When I leave a line between paragraphs in the UCAS text box and paste the PS on Word, I see two lines left instead of one. Is this fine?

Word will usually add space above/below paragraphs.

if you change your settings on word to show formatting characters you will see how many carriage returns have been included in your PS
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Word will usually add space above/below paragraphs.

if you change your settings on word to show formatting characters you will see how many carriage returns have been included in your PS

Thanks for the help! I noticed that the PS pasted on Word has more carriage returns. Is it like the UCAS portal reduces carriage returns? In that case, will my choices see my PS in the UCAS version or the original Word version with carriage returns preserved?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending