The Student Room Group

Student finance 2023 for transfers

I’ve completed 1 year of a course but I’ve decided that for 2023 I want to change university and course.
Just wondering if anyone knows wether when I reapply for student finance if the loan will continue under the old system or the system which is being implemented for 2023. As I say, I’ve already been to university for a year and the loan I had for this was under the old system as I started in 2022.
I’ve tried googling but can’t find anything and don’t know if I’m just in a unique situation but surely some other people must be wondering the same thing.
Original post by Blossom666
I’ve completed 1 year of a course but I’ve decided that for 2023 I want to change university and course.
Just wondering if anyone knows wether when I reapply for student finance if the loan will continue under the old system or the system which is being implemented for 2023. As I say, I’ve already been to university for a year and the loan I had for this was under the old system as I started in 2022.
I’ve tried googling but can’t find anything and don’t know if I’m just in a unique situation but surely some other people must be wondering the same thing.

Hi there, are you withdrawing from your current course or are you transferring course? Is your new university classing you as a new or returning student?

Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, are you withdrawing from your current course or are you transferring course? Is your new university classing you as a new or returning student?

Thanks, Karen

Hi, I finished the year on my current course but have told the university that I am now withdrawing and not continuing onto the next year. I applied for my new course on ucas and it is an entirely different course, I’m not sure wether the university will consider me as new or returning.
Thanks
Hi, I finished the year on my current course but have told the university that I am now withdrawing and not continuing onto the next year. I applied for my new course on ucas and it is an entirely different course, I’m not sure wether the university will consider me as new or returning.
Thanks

If you are withdrawing from your previous course you would need to wait to reapply until your current application is withdrawn and then apply as a new student under 23/24 academic year. You will be classed on the system as a new student for 2023. Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
If you are withdrawing from your previous course you would need to wait to reapply until your current application is withdrawn and then apply as a new student under 23/24 academic year. You will be classed on the system as a new student for 2023. Thanks, Karen

Would this mean that my original loan from 22/23 that covered my last year of studies be on a seperate repayment scheme to the new loan for 23/24? Do you have any idea how that would work..?
On the student finance website when I tried to reapply for student loan it allowed me to change course and university, is that the same as applying as a new student for 23/24 academic year?
Would this mean that my original loan from 22/23 that covered my last year of studies be on a seperate repayment scheme to the new loan for 23/24? Do you have any idea how that would work..?
On the student finance website when I tried to reapply for student loan it allowed me to change course and university, is that the same as applying as a new student for 23/24 academic year?

Your current university would be required to send us the withdrawal notification for 22/23 before you can apply as a new student. I would advise to speak with them to send this as soon as possible to allow you to reapply online. Alternatively you can apply via paper and return this via post if you would prefer to submit your application prior to your university withdrawing your application with us.

You can find the form here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1137617/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf

With regards to your repayment plan you would need to speak with our Repayment Team to discuss this with them. For this query we will need you to contact our Repayments department, as they are currently not available on Live chat you can contact them using one of the following:

If you prefer to communicate to them via chat then you can message them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ /SLC_Repayment or Facebook http://m.me/SLCRepayment -

Alternatively, they are also available on the phone. Their number is 0300 100 0611 and their opening hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm.

Thanks, Karen
Reply 6
Your current university would be required to send us the withdrawal notification for 22/23 before you can apply as a new student. I would advise to speak with them to send this as soon as possible to allow you to reapply online. Alternatively you can apply via paper and return this via post if you would prefer to submit your application prior to your university withdrawing your application with us.

You can find the form here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1137617/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf

With regards to your repayment plan you would need to speak with our Repayment Team to discuss this with them. For this query we will need you to contact our Repayments department, as they are currently not available on Live chat you can contact them using one of the following:

If you prefer to communicate to them via chat then you can message them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ /SLC_Repayment or Facebook http://m.me/SLCRepayment -

Alternatively, they are also available on the phone. Their number is 0300 100 0611 and their opening hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm.

Thanks, Karen

I have completed paperwork with my current uni to withdraw as a student, so I’m assuming they have sent this notification already.
I have already tried to reapply online and just changed the university and course when it asks you if they have changed.
Should that be sufficient?
Thanks
I have completed paperwork with my current uni to withdraw as a student, so I’m assuming they have sent this notification already.
I have already tried to reapply online and just changed the university and course when it asks you if they have changed.
Should that be sufficient?
Thanks

Hi there, Have you applied as a new student for the 23/24 academic year? Thanks, Angela
Reply 8
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Have you applied as a new student for the 23/24 academic year? Thanks, Angela

Hi,
I have been receiving emails reminding me to reapply for 23/24 academic year. When I clicked this link and went through this process it asked me if there had been any change to my uni and course- so at this point I changed my details to match my new course starting this year. I don’t know if this counts as me applying as a new student automatically.
Thanks
Hi,
I have been receiving emails reminding me to reapply for 23/24 academic year. When I clicked this link and went through this process it asked me if there had been any change to my uni and course- so at this point I changed my details to match my new course starting this year. I don’t know if this counts as me applying as a new student automatically.
Thanks

Hi there, It would seem that you have applied as a returning student in error, this would be because your previous application has not yet been withdrawn. We would advise that you cancel the current application and reapply when the previous application has been withdrawn. Thanks, Angela.
Reply 10
Hi there, It would seem that you have applied as a returning student in error, this would be because your previous application has not yet been withdrawn. We would advise that you cancel the current application and reapply when the previous application has been withdrawn. Thanks, Angela.

Hi, I’m confused as to why there is an option to change university and course on the student finance system when reapplying for funding for the next academic year? If this is not what we are meant to do..
Why is a withdrawal notification from the university even necessary when you have to reapply for student finance every year anyway? Shouldn’t the tuition fee money simply get paid to the new university instead of the old one for 23/24
Hi, I’m confused as to why there is an option to change university and course on the student finance system when reapplying for funding for the next academic year? If this is not what we are meant to do..
Why is a withdrawal notification from the university even necessary when you have to reapply for student finance every year anyway? Shouldn’t the tuition fee money simply get paid to the new university instead of the old one for 23/24

Hi there, When you withdraw from a course you need to reapply as a new student as you are no longer a returning student as you are changing course/university. Thanks, Angela
Reply 12
Hi there, When you withdraw from a course you need to reapply as a new student as you are no longer a returning student as you are changing course/university. Thanks, Angela

Hi, okay.
Just wondering who this option on the student finance system is for then? As there is absolutely no indication that this can’t be used for someone who wishes to change uni and course… :confused:
Hi, okay.
Just wondering who this option on the student finance system is for then? As there is absolutely no indication that this can’t be used for someone who wishes to change uni and course… :confused:

This option is for students who are not withdrawing from their previous course and are classed as a returning student with their new university. As you are withdrawing from your current course you are classed a new student automatically. Thanks, Karen
Reply 14
Hi, sorry to butt into this thread but am I correct in thinking that if quitting one university and having applied through UCAS for a completely different course at a different university you cannot use your existing application form for student loan and have to start a new form? In which case what happens to the original loan?
Reply 15
Original post by Friddaa
Hi, sorry to butt into this thread but am I correct in thinking that if quitting one university and having applied through UCAS for a completely different course at a different university you cannot use your existing application form for student loan and have to start a new form? In which case what happens to the original loan?

Yes, that is what I was asking :smile:
Original post by Friddaa

That's correct! If you are withdrawing from your current course you would be classed a s anew student and would need to apply as anew student for the team to review.

If you are querying your repayments after this you would need to contact our Repayment Team to discuss this with them.
For this query we will need you to contact our Repayments department, as they are currently not available on Live chat you can contact them using one of the following:

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending