The Student Room Group

Tired of revision? Can't focus? Need more energy? Try this...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anon_98
I'm not guessing at all. I've got enough common sense to know that I shouldn't be doing what you're suggesting. It might provide "temporary energy" but in the long run, it's a silly idea.

Why exactly would anyone want to do that though? The disadvantages are much greater than what it's worth.

In what way do humans currently eat that is so much of a problem it needs this apparent solution?

It doesn't provide temporary energy at all. Rather than argue with me on a subject which you don't have much knowledge of, I recommend you have a look at the benefits/any disadvantages you're claiming, before you suggest that it's so so bad because of XYZ reason, and the benefits I'm suggesting are BS.

The disadvantages are not greater than it's worth at all. Again, you're speaking without experience, so you don't know of any disadvantages or what it is worth.

My point was that our 'ancestors' would eat one large meal, and could go days without eating. We don't need to eat as much/as often as is suggested, people just like food and often mistake being thirsty or just plain bored for being hungry.
Original post by .JC.
I can find several links, for example, an article I wrote on the topic myself.

But people may call me/them biased so I would invite them to find their own articles/studies.

I mean reliable links that contains actual proof of this being successful.
IF works. I do my best work in the morning before I start eating around midday.

It's not starving yourself and not dangerous. It's not having breakfast and having a later lunch than midday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Ya know what. I'll try this, cause anything to make me revise. I'll see how it goes.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thank you! I hope you find it works for you.

Don't drink too much coffee, as the effects of it are greater when in a fasted state. Start with one cup to have when you get up and then start revising/working or whatever. After an hour or so if you feel you need another, have one. I like drinking coffee full stop and don't drink it other than when I'm fasting so will usually have a couple of cups.
Students are known to love their food and I think the majority will find it hard to concentrate if they try to go without it for a long period of time :redface:
Original post by .JC.
It doesn't provide temporary energy at all. Rather than argue with me on a subject which you don't have much knowledge of, I recommend you have a look at the benefits/any disadvantages you're claiming, before you suggest that it's so so bad because of XYZ reason, and the benefits I'm suggesting are BS.

The disadvantages are not greater than it's worth at all. Again, you're speaking without experience, so you don't know of any disadvantages or what it is worth.

My point was that our 'ancestors' would eat one large meal, and could go days without eating. We don't need to eat as much/as often as is suggested, people just like food and often mistake being thirsty or just plain bored for being hungry.

Unfortunately you're on tsr. Everyone is a "scientist"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Niltiac229
I mean reliable links that contains actual proof of this being successful.

Well actual proof would need a human example, and hence I am living proof.

Essentially, you're just taking someone else's word for it over mine. You'll have no idea how it works for YOU unless you try it.

I don't have the time frankly to research links you may deem reliable, so if you really want reliable links then I'd advise you find them yourself.

For the record, here is my article on the matter:

http://www.myprotein.com/thezone/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-lean-gains-168/
Original post by .JC.

Okay, so since I'll most likely be tired of revision by June you're suggesting that on the night of all my exams I should wake up in the morning and not have breakfast then proceed to go to school and take my exam having not consumed any food whatsoever? I shouldn't eat bc it won't be past 12:00pm and you are certain that will have absolutely no negative impact on the work I produce in that hall?

My point is, I don't need to read a 600 paged book on advantages/disadvantages to know it's a bad idea.

Original post by .JC.

Our 'ancestors' pursued for food using stone hammers + spears. Let's all go on a wild cannibal hunt.
Original post by .JC.
There are no 'side effects'.

Obviously drinking copious amounts of coffee isn't good for you due to the caffeine, but if you restrict caffeine consumption to a period when you are fasted, the benefits will be better felt and you will not crash as bad, or build up as much of a tolerance.

IF has many health benefits, such as elongating life, and is regarded as one of the healthiest ways to eat/live.

Hmm.

You want to give advice but there is different age group on TSR.

"Too much caffeine can lead to insomnia, jitteriness, upset stomach, headaches, difficulty concentrating, and increased heart rate. In younger children, these symptoms occur after just a small amount."

Also, drastic change in eating can have an effect on your weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Indeterminate
Students are known to love their food and I think the majority will find it hard to concentrate if they try to go without it for a long period of time :redface:

I'll challenge you to find someone who loves food more than me! I just have good self control and am aware of what my body needs. Plus, not eating until later in the day pushes your calories back, meaning you can eat more later on in the day. If I eat breakfast, not only do I feel sluggish after, but I feel even more hungry and end up consuming a hell of a lot of calories in one go. I'd bet most people will be eating sugary cereals, toast with sugary/fatty spreads, or even a fried breakfast. If anyone wants to suggest that such a breakfast is healthier than what I am proposing then go ahead.

Original post by Angry cucumber
Unfortunately you're on tsr. Everyone is a "scientist"

Posted from TSR Mobile

*sigh* unfortunately you are correct. I'm sharing something that works for me in order to try and help others. Nothing wrong with that.S till, it's nice to have someone credible like yourself, who is respected and actually knows what he is talking about here to reinforce the fact that IF is not dangerous, or starving yourself. The fact is people don't like things like IF which are different or unknown. They hear the words 'don't eat' and panic and all of a sudden become an expert on the issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Anon_98
Okay, so since I'll most likely be tired of revision by June you're suggesting that on the night of all my exams I should wake up in the morning and not have breakfast then proceed to go to school and take my exam having not consumed any food whatsoever? I shouldn't eat bc it won't be past 12:00pm and you are certain that will have absolutely no negative impact on the work I produce in that hall?

My point is, I don't need to read a 600 paged book on advantages/disadvantages to know it's a bad idea.

Our 'ancestors' pursued for food using stone hammers + spears. Let's all go on a wild cannibal hunt.

That's not what I was suggesting. In fact, when I did IF last year I stopped for my exams because I didn't know exactly how I would cope and a lot of them fell around the time I would normally break my fast. I said try it out to help revision, I DID NOT say go into an exam without eating. I'm not asking you to read any 600 paged book, I'm just asking that you don't assume something about a topic which you clearly have no familiarity with. A quick google search would provide you with many credible sources providing information that is short and easy to read.

Nor is that second point what I was suggesting, but if you want to joke about it go ahead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Impressive
Hmm.

You want to give advice but there is different age group on TSR.

"Too much caffeine can lead to insomnia, jitteriness, upset stomach, headaches, difficulty concentrating, and increased heart rate. In younger children, these symptoms occur after just a small amount."

Also, drastic change in eating can have an effect on your weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, but I'd imagine that many people young and old on here drink coffee regularly. You don't have to drink coffee anyway, I just find it helps and it was merely a suggestion.

Coffee has many health benefits too. I personally have never experienced such 'side effects' of coffee. What's more, IF prevents you having such side effects and prevents you developing a tolerance.

It is in no way a drastic change in eating.

If you want to pick apart what I find works for me, bit by bit, then by all means do it. I find it works for me and by God it's a hell of a lot healthier than what most people do. There will be suggested 'side effects' and disadvantages of everything, that's how it is nowadays.
Original post by .JC.
They hear the words 'don't eat' and panic and all of a sudden become an expert on the issue.

Nope. That's not what I'm doing at all.

I'm just saying that .. Coffee + exams + lack of food = :curious:

Infact, lots of coffee in itself = :shot:

Original post by .JC.
That's not what I was suggesting. In fact, when I did IF last year I stopped for my exams because I didn't know exactly how I would cope and a lot of them fell around the time I would normally break my fast. I said try it out to help revision, I DID NOT say go into an exam without eating. I'm not asking you to read any 600 paged book, I'm just asking that you don't assume something about a topic which you clearly have no familiarity with. A quick google search would provide you with many credible sources providing information that is short and easy to read.

Alright, I'm tired now. Good luck. :borat:
Original post by .JC.
'You think'.

That's the point, you're just guessing.

You haven't posted any hard evidence either. For all we know, what you've written is as much of a guess. At the moment it's your unsupported opinion against his.
Reply 34
Original post by Anon_98
Nope. That's not what I'm doing at all.

I'm just saying that .. Coffee + exams + lack of food = :curious:

Infact, lots of coffee in itself = :shot:

Alright, I'm tired now. Good luck. :borat:

There is no lack of food. I don't know where you've got this idea from. Going without food for a few more hours than you normally would does not mean you are getting a lack of it, it just means you're eating it later in the day.

Coffee is a very powerful thing when used right. I'm sure everyone on here does things which 'hinder' their revision etc. but you're not advising against doing those.

Like I said, it works for me, so I thought I would help some others out and share my experience. If I hadn't read about someone's experience of IF, I would have never tried it myself.
Reply 35
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You haven't posted any hard evidence either. For all we know, what you've written is as much of a guess. At the moment it's your unsupported opinion against his.

You have the entire internet at your fingertips so I think you're perfectly capable of finding information yourself. I have provided the full article I wrote on IF almost a year ago, but obviously that is all my own writing. If you're really bothered about whether what I'm saying is true or not, you can research it yourself.

I know myself it is true so I'm not wasting my time proving it for people who are too lazy/ignorant/stupid to consider that what I'm saying is/may actually be helpful, useful information.
Original post by .JC.

This is true.

Eating is like a hobby for some people
I'm going to try this soon. I actually do find that I can do so much more revision in the morning than the evening anyway. :smile: What kind of foods do you eat during your 8 hr window?
Reply 38
Original post by Legendary Quest
This is true.

Eating is like a hobby for some people

Precisely. Most of the time people are just thirsty or bored.

Next time anyone thinks they're hungry, I advise they drink a large glass of water and find something to occupy themselves with. In 10 minutes or so I'm sure any hunger cravings will have surpassed.
Original post by .JC.
There is no lack of food. I don't know where you've got this idea from.

Your OP.

Original post by .JC.

Going without food for a few more hours than you normally would does not mean you are getting a lack of it, it just means you're eating it later in the day.

No, it doesn't lol. If you miss breakfast + lunch for example, then have dinner at 5:00pm. It does not mean you're having breakfast + lunch at 5:00pm. It means you lacked breakfast + lunch.

Original post by .JC.

Coffee is a very powerful thing when used right.

I would not class "Having several coffee cups" as using it right. Quite the opposite.

Original post by .JC.

I'm sure everyone on here does things which 'hinder' their revision etc.

Such as..?

Original post by .JC.

but you're not advising against doing those.

Uh maybe bc this thread has nothing to do with every single bad revision technique a student has ever took part in. Rather, it's regarding your "idea".

Original post by .JC.

Like I said, it works for me, so I thought I would help some others out and share my experience. If I hadn't read about someone's experience of IF, I would have never tried it myself.

Like I said, I'm tired now.

Quick Reply

Latest