The Student Room Group

Total burn out

I'm doing so many extracurriculars, I'm doing 4 A levels, I may be dealing with depression (under the process of getting tested), I have personal/professional projects to do. I'm tired, I'm so tired, I want to stay in my room forever and not do anything. I'm going late to school, haven't been to school for the past 2 weeks along the overall past few weeks, and I have an impending competition to do and I have to practice for it at school, but the activity itself wears me out. I can't study, I don't even have the motivation to shower sometimes. I've reached my breaking point, I won't apply to any more programs apart from occasional work experience and volunteering things, and I'll put all my focus towards getting to school and being punctual. But I still have to work on my projects, and do the goddamn competition that I hate practicing for, as manufacturing/mechatronics engineering is not for me (my interests lie in chemical engineering). I've experienced burn out like this only in the quarantine period, and I never knew how to deal with it, it just went out by itself after 2 long years. This time I actually want to know how to heal myself (while still keeping to do my tasks somewhat...). Please advise me, I need recovery but at the same time I can't just abandon the things I need to do
Reply 1
Original post by Sha.xo527
I'm doing so many extracurriculars, I'm doing 4 A levels, I may be dealing with depression (under the process of getting tested), I have personal/professional projects to do. I'm tired, I'm so tired, I want to stay in my room forever and not do anything. I'm going late to school, haven't been to school for the past 2 weeks along the overall past few weeks, and I have an impending competition to do and I have to practice for it at school, but the activity itself wears me out. I can't study, I don't even have the motivation to shower sometimes. I've reached my breaking point, I won't apply to any more programs apart from occasional work experience and volunteering things, and I'll put all my focus towards getting to school and being punctual. But I still have to work on my projects, and do the goddamn competition that I hate practicing for, as manufacturing/mechatronics engineering is not for me (my interests lie in chemical engineering). I've experienced burn out like this only in the quarantine period, and I never knew how to deal with it, it just went out by itself after 2 long years. This time I actually want to know how to heal myself (while still keeping to do my tasks somewhat...). Please advise me, I need recovery but at the same time I can't just abandon the things I need to do
I'm also not going to my important school clubs, important because they have set competitions for them
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this. If it helps, you're not alone with feeling overburdened and burnt out.

I think it's really important for you to contact the doctors/seek mental health aid through counselling. These routes are normally the starting point to getting back on the right track. I would implore you to speak with teachers or your personal tutor about the problems you're facing day-to-day as they will be able to support you through this - you don't have to do this alone. Tell them how you're feeling and hopefully there are some good support networks in place to help you get back to feeling like your normal self.

In the meantime, finding something you enjoy or are passionate about can help - this is normally what I do if I can feel myself having a wobble - each person is different with how they manage their own headspace. I like writing, so I'd spend time doing that, catching up with friends, going for a walk in nature, etc. It's good to find what works for you. It might be worth reducing your extracurricular things that you're not enjoying in the meantime so that you can have more free time and focus on the things you want to focus on.

Hope this helps and that you get the support you need.

Ethan
Reply 3
I was in a very similar position to you this time last year. I'm bad at completing work on time, I had 3 weeks to complete 3 lots of work for my subject over the holidays, which is a fair amount. I spent the entire holiday doing nothing but chilling and planning for the 3 days I'd spend doing it, the days I had to do it got smaller and smaller until I was a day away from going back to college and handing it in. Getting into college, I brought barely anything, having told to do it by that week. The entire week I spent burning myself out over 3 weeks' worth of work to get myself back up to speed and after a night without any sleep and completing 95% of it, I got home and basically collapsed, being conscious and awake, but just having no energy to do anything, like an empty shell.

Sorry for the long-winded way of saying that I know how you feel. It's tough doing 4 A-Levels, it really is. You've chosen to do them and it is possible to succeed without feeling like this. At some point there may be a breaking point to you doing nothing and collapsing, or, you can improve for the moment. Start prioritizing health for maybe the weekend and chill on some work. Get no less than say 7 Hours of sleep per night, any less and it'll snowball as you'll be progressively feeling worse by the day. Keep hygienic and eat and drink healthily. Start listening to some music and maybe think about some more positive things - thinking about being burned out all the time will just make things worse.

Of course, I'm not saying to drop everything and run away for a weekend, we both may have 4 A-Levels, but I didn't have the competitions so I couldn't comment on that. I just thought I'd give my experience with terrible burnouts, and from what I can remember how to fix them. They are fixable. A burnout feels like you've just lost your personality and motivation to do anything, as a combination of low mood, lack of sleep and a lack of free time to do your own things. All of which can be fixed.

I'm more than happy to speak further about this, and I hope this has helped you :smile:
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you. I'm absolutely racking up absences and i have so much uncompleted work because i just havent had the energy to do it. I haven't been sleeping properly and i can barely get myself out of bed. I got diagnosed with depression and then somehow undiagnosed. I went on a ski trip with my family and was really happy while i was on the trip because i love skiing and was not stressed about school. Because of this my psychiatrist told me i did not have depression since i wouldn't have been happy for a week if i was depressed. She told me it was likely major burnout from school. I feel like there's nothing i can do to fix that so i'm just trying to hold on till i graduate. Just remember there's only a little over a year left before uni and changing environments will probably help the burnout. or at least thats what im telling myself.

Quick Reply

Latest