The Student Room Group

A Levels and neurodiversity

I'm in Year 13 and really struggling with A Levels (I've gotten two Es in my mocks and one B). I used to be a good student in GCSEs (got all 7s and 8s despite having studied in the UK for only four years) but I just can't get myself to study in Sixth Form. I know very well how important it is, and I've done plenty of research to make sure I don't lose motivation (spent hours making countless revision plans, removed any visible distractions, did not partake in any 'pleasant' activities for almost a month before my mock (like watching a tv show or playing video games to make sure i don't get too carried away and get distracted...) yet I ALWAYS seem to lose motivation. It's like I can't even control it.

Also, I'm likely to be neurodiverse (ASD and inattentive ADHD) and I've already made a referral with my school but waiting times are terrible so nothing's probably gonna happen there. But I'm REALLY unmotivated and I feel like it's all outside of my control. If I put in the necessary effort and worked hard, I'd be able to succeed just fine. But I just can't do it. I can't focus in class even if the teaching is well structured and there are no obvious distractions. As a result LOTS of time gets wasted there, I basically get nothing done. I'm more productive when I'm on my own but I've barely got time to do that because of homework and material to catch up on and I have incredibly low energy levels, especially after a school day. I have a really short attention span, I'm typically late and really forgetful and my organisation skills suck.

I'm really worried and frustrated right now because I don't want to be seen as somene who's 'just lazy' and doesn't take things seriously. Sorry if this was messy and all over the place but it anyone has any advice please let me know.
Reply 1
With the lack of focus do you believe that it is a coping mechanism. It may be a good idea to find out what triggers a lack of focus, it could be stress and your lack of focus is a coping mechanism. You may be able to ask a friend or someone to help try to get you back on focus.
In terms of catch up for work could you ask a friend or teacher to help you with the notes. This would then save time which could then be used to do revision and independent work.
You have mentioned that you are on a referral, could you speak to teachers about it and see what they think.They may be able to make adaptations for you that may make work easier which could help to stop the lack of focus. They may not do anything but it never hurts to ask.
In terms of your low energy levels could this be due to masking; things such as forcing eye contact and mimicking body language to try and fit in. Would unmasking help, I know that it is easier said than done but I think that it may help. You could start unmasking around your friends and then work towards unmasking with other people. I think increasing your energy levels will help to increase your motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest