The Student Room Group

How much rent do your parents charge you?

Scroll to see replies

None. But I'm still in education. I only realised this recently that some parent's charge their children rent money. I can understand why though. If you're working and an adult- it would be nice to pay rent and to help out your parents financially.
Original post by super_kawaii
Absolutely nothing because my parents actually have enough brain cells to realise it's better for me to save for a deposit on a house, rather than waste my money paying them rent that they have no need for

That's a bit rude.
Though my parents would agree with the idea of me and my siblings not paying rent money in order for us to save also- not everyone is as fortunate. We should count ourselves extremely lucky and not seem snobbish about it since others have to pay rent in order for their families to remain financially comfortable. It's not easy. Especially if you have four children + it can be difficult. My good friend is a child of seven, though she's still in education because she works part time, any chance she gets, she still pays rent. I respect her so much for her hard work.
Original post by Cherry82
That's a bit rude.
Though my parents would agree with the idea of me and my siblings not paying rent money in order for us to save also- not everyone is as fortunate. We should count ourselves extremely lucky and not seem snobbish about it since others have to pay rent in order for their families to remain financially comfortable. It's not easy. Especially if you have four children + it can be difficult. My good friend is a child of seven, though she's still in education because she works part time, any chance she gets, she still pays rent. I respect her so much for her hard work.

I'm one of 4 children and my parents would never dream of charging any of us rent, regardless of whether we are in education or not. They've had to make many sacrifices to raise us the way they have and I'm thankful for that, because it's given us such a good start in life compared to a lot of my peers. Don't ever judge someones situation when you know nothing at all
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm one of 4 children and my parents would never dream of charging any of us rent, regardless of whether we are in education or not. They've had to make many sacrifices to raise us the way they have and I'm thankful for that, because it's given us such a good start in life compared to a lot of my peers. Don't ever judge someones situation when you know nothing at all

Well then you are very blessed. And judging? No. All I was saying is that your comment was quite rude. I wasn't judging you or addressing your life personally as I don't know you however I was addressing the fact that you had stated 'absolutely nothing because my parents actually have enough brain cells to realise it's better for me to save...'
That comment implied that those parents who do charge their children rent money are somehow stupid. But they are not- I'm saying it wouldn't be fair to make such a statement because people find themselves in situations where they may have to charge their children rent money in order to be financially comfortable. Again from what you had said, my parent's seem like yours where they would never charge us rent and we are also four however I would never make the comment that you did. It's insulting to those who aren't as fortunate. That's all I was saying.
(edited 8 years ago)
£0

Although I get her some thank you presents every now and then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not quite at that age yet, but if I were in that position, my parents probably wouldn't ask for anything. I would be saving as much as possible in order to buy my own house and they would not want to take any of my earnings away from me.
My parents have never charged me or my sisters rent for living at home post-18. I don't think they'd ever even dream of doing it! :nah:

Handy for me, given that I have no money to give them :ninja: Even if they did, I doubt they'd ask tbh :dontknow:
£350 a month: half the rent&bills. Very cheap for London, since it's council. But my mum would need a lodger anyway, so it works out.

Wake up and smell the coffee, kids! Can't eat placenta for ever!

PS I can't even imagine letting my mum doing my washing, mortifying.
Original post by ThomasPassion
£350 a month: half the rent&bills. Very cheap for London, since it's council. But my mum would need a lodger anyway, so it works out.

Wake up and smell the coffee, kids! Can't eat placenta for ever!

PS I can't even imagine letting my mum doing my washing, mortifying.

I agree, I'm 23 and some of my friends who are similar ages had to ask me how to use the washing machine, amazed me. I hit 16 and was told, you can do your own washing now. My sister is 19 is more babied that I was but even then she has to do all her own ironing, however I think if I was still living there I would kick up a fuss. How will she learn?

I was cooking my own dinners from 15 too. That may be because my mum had a tough time and I took over the house duties a bit. However even then...
Reply 49
£0.

My parents would never ask me or any of my siblings for rent money, and I definitely won't be asking my kids for rent money to live in my house in the future.
£100 is pretty darn cheap. If I were you I'd look at rented accommodation price plus bills etc then maybe you'd be grateful your mum is only charging you £100. Why should your mother pay for your upkeep when you have a job?

My parents asked for £350 a month if I was to live with them while I was in uni. I thought that was expensive until I got my own place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't live with my mother but with eldest sister and I pay £200 per month.

I think it's fair to pay if you can do it since you're using electricity, water etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by jblackmoustache
Unfortunately i'm stuck living with my mother in a small area away from anywhere desirable, until I can find a room that I can afford with the small amount that is called a "living wage". I'm forced to pay £100 a month or else i get a whole load of ****. Non negotiable and my mum feels like a landlord that lectures you, has eyes on you 24/7 and "tells you off" all the time. I'm 21+ and it's depressing. I'm desperately looking for a job that allows me to fly the nest, though seeing the price of matchbox rooms even these days in Manchester and Leeds is depressing.

I always wonder what parent i'd be if i ever have kids and if i have kids and i don't think i could ever have the same attitudes/parenting. i wouldn't charge them rent. Beating them down with more expenses on top of what they have to fork out for travel with the little money they earn doesn't feel right to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester is quite cheap. You can have a self containing flat for £600 a month -- less than £500 outside the city centre. Otherwise, a room in a flatshare can cost less than £300.

We're approaching the end of the year and many people now want to leave their room, so you have plenty of choice. Check it there: http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/index.cgi?&search_id=314270407&show_results=as+a+map
£250/month, started at £200 when I got my first full time job after uni.
Reply 54
I've been paying my mum "dig money" since I was 17, even though I was still in school. It's gradually risen as I've gotten older and worked full time. At the moment I pay £200 which is absolutely nothing if you think about how much it would cost to rent a flat of your own.

I would feel guilty if I never paid her anything at all considering everything she does for me. You can't expect to be spoon fed for your whole life! :noway:
Original post by Nfergs

I would feel guilty if I never paid her anything at all considering everything she does for me. You can't expect to be spoon fed for your whole life! :noway:

Unfortunately it seems that a lot do still expect it. Sounds like most on here will still be hanging onto their mothers apron strings when they are in their 50's and still contributing sweet FA because "she has never asked me for anything".
I get paid £50 a week :biggrin:
£160 a month. If I stopped working they wouldn't charge me rent.
I honestly can't believe that there are people who live completely rent free with their parents when they are an adult and in a good full-time job
£80 p/m

Quick Reply

Latest