The Student Room Group

Move to Uni Accom with no car??

Hey everyone,

I'm heading to uni in September, about 2 hours away. I've got social anxiety, autism, and some health stuff going on, so it's a bit overwhelming. But here's the thing my dad was supposed to help me move in, but he's "suddenly ill" on a holiday in another country. Now idk if he's genuinely ill or saying that as an excuse.

I'm stressed about moving. Asked friends and family for help, but they are busy. Can't afford moving services, they're £300. I've bought my uni stuff bedding, pillows, and essentials, but the whole moving thing is getting to me. Idk what to do.. I'm supposed to move in about 2 weeks I've not even checked in yet for my accomodation, due to this.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Idk what to do
Reply 1
I've got around 8-10 boxes
Reply 2
Original post by yourachel22
I've got around 8-10 boxes

You really want a friend or family member with you, not just to help with the transportation of the boxes, but also for your emotional wellbeing, as moving in is quite a big deal. I would say the same thing to someone with no social anxiety or any other issues.

Can you double check with your dad that he definitely can't do it? Do you have any other relatives of friends than can help? If the issue is that they don't have a car, you could rent one maybe, as it would be less than £300, and it would be better than just getting the boxes delivered and you having to move in on your own.
Hey @yourachel22 , I'm sorry to hear that you might not have any assistance with your move in but university is all about independence and this is your opportunity to start getting things done on your own. Everything seems scary till you get it done.
I used a company called student storage , they are essentially a storage company and they charge from £1 a week per box but they also pick up your stuff and drop it off at the address of your choice. You can request for them to pick up your stuff this week and keep it for a week and then drop it off a week later at your uni accommodation. Collection is £20 and delivery at the new address is also £20 and you can pay for storage for just a week which will probably cost less than £20.

The service is great , they will pick everything up in your home and put all the boxes inside your room in student halls so you don't have to lift anything. Here is the link : http://www.studentstorage-uk.com/redelivery.htm

Don't stress too much about moving in , I also did it without my parents and it was hard but I did it and I will always be proud of myself for getting it done.
Good luck and I hope this helps .

Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Reply 4
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey @yourachel22 , I'm sorry to hear that you might not have any assistance with your move in but university is all about independence and this is your opportunity to start getting things done on your own. Everything seems scary till you get it done.
I used a company called student storage , they are essentially a storage company and they charge from £1 a week per box but they also pick up your stuff and drop it off at the address of your choice. You can request for them to pick up your stuff this week and keep it for a week and then drop it off a week later at your uni accommodation. Collection is £20 and delivery at the new address is also £20 and you can pay for storage for just a week which will probably cost less than £20.

The service is great , they will pick everything up in your home and put all the boxes inside your room in student halls so you don't have to lift anything. Here is the link : http://www.studentstorage-uk.com/redelivery.htm

Don't stress too much about moving in , I also did it without my parents and it was hard but I did it and I will always be proud of myself for getting it done.
Good luck and I hope this helps .

Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University

Hi Cece. Thank you for recommending me the name of the company you used, I'll contact them and see what they say. It's great to hear they will actually put the boxes inside my room as well, that would be helpful as well! And well done for doing it without your parents. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending