The Student Room Group

Should people get fined for dropping litter?

Scroll to see replies

Those who thinks there shouldn't be a deterrent are uncivilized animals. Littering should be met with fines and/or community service.

Original post by sfaraj
no. in my experience more people are getting fined for dropping litter than actual crimes such as violence. Met police are busy keeping the earth clean, but lagging behind with giving support to families suffering domestic violence or dealing with real things...the amount of people that drop litter, maybe more bins should be placed around? but maybe for bigger litter like idk electronics, people legit leave electronics on the ground and walk away.

Oh maybe the police could I don't know... do both? :eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
Litter is the bane of my life! I am so sick and tired of walking through the streets and finding rubbish strewn around the pavement because some lazy POS couldn't walk over to the bin and put the rubbish in. Or when I am walking behind someone and he/she has been drinking from a coke bottle then chucks it on the sidewalk because such people have no respect for the city that they live in. Fine the dirty rascals.

And don't even get me started on people who spit on the streets.
Original post by WBZ144
Litter is the bane of my life! I am so sick and tired of walking through the streets and finding rubbish strewn around the pavement because some lazy POS couldn't walk over to the bin and put the rubbish in. Or when I am walking behind someone and he/she has been drinking from a coke bottle then chucks it on the sidewalk because such people have no respect for the city that they live in. Fine the dirty rascals.

What about people who spit on the streets? :yum:
The highway near where I live has signs saying fines start from $1250 for littering. It's such a nice drive surrounded by trees without a single bit of trash anywhere.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Nobody wants to see that. I find them to be incredibly inconsiderate and selfish.
Original post by pjm600
until everyone stops chewing gum.

They should have those gum bins made of recycled gum scattered around. Attach them to a lamppost or something.

Fag butts shouldn't be such a problem any more and significantly less of one in the future: Cigarettes are being phased out for e-vapes and in the future I imagine tobacco use will be much less, since these have become the new 'cool' (which is marginally better, I suppose; Tobacco is nasty stuff).
It would be very difficult to enforce, but if caught then yes you absolutely should be fined for it. There is no excuse for littering; it's just laziness and stupidity and it's really not difficult to just bin it properly or take it home. And someone needs to pay for it to be cleaned up, otherwise the problem gets even worse.
Definitely.
Original post by TaintedLight
Those who thinks there shouldn't be a deterrent are uncivilized animals. Littering should be met with fines and/or community service.

Oh maybe the police could I don't know... do both? :eek:

oh but maybe the police you know DONT do both, a close family has been struggling with a drug abusive son and the most help they have achieved are some leaflets in the post, but obviously we gotta deal with hooligans dropping litter then domestic violence and drug abuse
Bring back the death penalty
Original post by WBZ144

Nobody wants Britain to go down the road of places like Singapore, where even spitting on the street or dropping chewing gum is a criminal offence. Or urine detectors in lifts that cause the lift to breakdown so the person gets arrested.

In fact its so bad that they've even banned chewing gum in Singapore.
Neither do we want New York style zero tolerance.

Britain is supposed to be a tolerant liberal country that turns the other cheek for minor misdemeanours. I don't know how a little bit of litter can upset people so much when there are far worse things going on. Think about all the Syrians who want a new life here but can't get it because we won't let them in.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think that people should be fined for littering but not on every occasion it depends entirely on the situation. For some things it is petty to get fined where as for other things there should defo be a fine. There shouldn't really be any need for fines as people should put stuff in the bin or keep the rubbish till they come across a bin
Original post by Ambitious1999
Nobody wants Britain to go down the road of places like Singapore, where even spitting on the street or dropping chewing gum is a criminal offence. Or urine detectors in lifts that cause the lift to breakdown so the person gets arrested.

In fact its so bad that they've even banned chewing gum in Singapore.
Neither do we want New York style zero tolerance.

Britain is supposed to be a tolerant liberal country that turns the other cheek for minor misdemeanours. I don't know how a little bit of litter can upset people so much when there are far worse things going on. Think about all the Syrians who want a new life here but can't get it because we won't let them in.

I'm well aware that there are far worse things going on but this is still an issue that can be addressed. If people get fined for driving a bit above the speed limit, there should also be a fine for those who have no respect for the environment the way litterers do. I don't think that it is excessive at all because these people are perfectly capable of disposing of their rubbish properly yet choose not to, then as a result we end up with filthy streets in some areas. At least if they knew that there could be consequences they might be a bit more considerate.
Reply 33
The main question that I want to be answered is: is fining someone an effective punishment?
Original post by Guls
The main question that I want to be answered is: is fining someone an effective punishment?

It depends what they did. Sometimes people can't help littering or dropping things. There's a lad from the halls who can't help himself after a night on the drink. He defecated outside a shop leaving a messy chocolate log behind. It wasn't done in malice or anything, just that when he drinks he can't help himself or hold it in.
Now fining him wouldn't be right because he didn't do it on purpose and in any case he couldn't afford the fine. So I think more effort should be put into prosecuting serious matters such as dealing with reckless anti-social bus drivers who cause an obstruction and account for congestion despite having their own bloody bus lanes everywhere which cause congestion.
Original post by Keyhofi
Of course there should be small fines, but surely using CCTV would be better than being there in person?

How do they ascertain someone's name and address from that so as to issue a fine?

Original post by mobbsy91
I mean, littering isn't great at all, but I think there are times we all do it, whether accidentally or not... I think a fine is going a bit far, and I think that the cost of having those policeman in the station forecourt on the look out for litterers is not compensated by the money they receive from fines, and they could probably be put to better use elsewhere.

Normally they wouldn't use fully trained police officers for such a thing as that's a massive waste of resources and they're paid too much for doing that - sitting around watching people lol.

I forgot what they call them but there's folk who are given some brief training (only 2days or so) on the laws surrounding littering and basic peacekeeping, common law and the like and they wander around city centres looking out for litterers or anything like that and issuing fines.
Original post by Guls

Well even if it doesn't discourage them from doing it again it does at least go towards paying for the costs of it. Chewing gum is one of the biggest problems, far more than dropping a chocolate wrapper for example.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Anybody caught spitting in the street should be made to lick the pre existing chewing gums on the pavement.

10 licks.

If culprit was to be found phleming pre-spit, 100 licks.
Original post by Blondie987
I don't agree with littering but I definitely think they should at least start with a warning, especially if someone accidentally drops something.

How are you going to ascertain whether someone's already been warned or not?

You don't accidentally litter. It just doesn't happen.
I think the police should be fined for wasting police time.

Have they got nothing better to do other than give out £50 fines?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest