The Student Room Group

Should I withdraw from a choice so I can have priority booking for accommodation?

So I got an unconditional offer from Coventry uni and priority booking for accommodation opens tomorrow but I only have 4/5 responses so should I just withdraw from the fifth choice so I can make sure I get the accommodation I want? Just unsure if it’s the right thing to do but I really don’t have any interest anymore in the uni that hasn’t gotten back to me yet. Also, I’m a little confused about how to make a uni my firm choice, will I be able to do this if I got 5/5 responses and/or if I withdrew the final uni that hasn’t gotten back to me yet? Sorry if this is dumb
Original post by beth4466
So I got an unconditional offer from Coventry uni and priority booking for accommodation opens tomorrow but I only have 4/5 responses so should I just withdraw from the fifth choice so I can make sure I get the accommodation I want? Just unsure if it’s the right thing to do but I really don’t have any interest anymore in the uni that hasn’t gotten back to me yet. Also, I’m a little confused about how to make a uni my firm choice, will I be able to do this if I got 5/5 responses and/or if I withdrew the final uni that hasn’t gotten back to me yet? Sorry if this is dumb

Just noting that it's against UCAS business rules to incentivise early decisions with priority, (or suggested priority), accommodation. Coventry should not be doing this. Recent post from PQ about this:

Original post by PQ
UCAS rules forbid universities from incentivising early replies - even by accommodation allocation. Most universities will allocate rooms in august and those that allocate earlier should be releasing rooms for booking up until july to comply with UCAS rules.

Any university that breaks these rules can be reported to [email protected]

Answering your other question, you can only make your Firm and Insurance choices when you have 5 decisions back. It's generally discouraged from making a decision until at least Easter. The forum is littered with people trying to undo their choices after being certain.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Just noting that it's against UCAS business rules to incentivise early decisions with priority, (or suggested priority), accommodation. Coventry should not be doing this. Recent post from PQ about this:

Answering your other question, you can only make your Firm and Insurance choices when you have 5 decisions back. It's generally discouraged from making a decision until at least Easter. The forum is littered with people trying to undo their choices after being certain.
Thank you for the insight!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending