The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Law 1st year timetable.

I was wondering, from someone who is studying in their first year at Bristol for law (or recently studied their first year at Bristol law) what the average day schedule looked like? Are 9 am starts the norm, what about the end of day?

Using this to help base my decision for halls, as it may be easier to get accommodation nearer to the lecture halls rather than in Stoke Bishop. Plus whether or not to get catered/self catered.

Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by NOP97
I was wondering, from someone who is studying in their first year at Bristol for law (or recently studied their first year at Bristol law) what the average day schedule looked like? Are 9 am starts the norm, what about the end of day?

Using this to help base my decision for halls, as it may be easier to get accommodation nearer to the lecture halls rather than in Stoke Bishop. Plus whether or not to get catered/self catered.

Cheers.

Mixed days, you might have between 1-4 hours a day. Usually around 9-12 hours in a week. Wednesdays often off, or something in the morning.
Some 9ams, but often later (10/11). In 3rd year I've had none.
They also record lectures...
But if you're lazy, best to attend.

Bus stops right near to most lecture halls (victoria rooms, physics, chemistry, sometimes medical). Short walk down to Wills memorial or Berkeley square for seminars.
I was in SB and was fine.

Doesn't interfere with catered at all. The odd seminar may run till 6, so you'd return just after dinner's started but that's about it.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Inazuma
Mixed days, you might have between 1-4 hours a day. Usually around 9-12 hours in a week. Wednesdays often off, or something in the morning.
Some 9ams, but often later (10/11). In 3rd year I've had none.
They also record lectures...
But if you're lazy, best to attend.

Bus stops right near to most lecture halls (victoria rooms, physics, chemistry, sometimes medical). Short walk down to Wills memorial or Berkeley square for seminars.
I was in SB and was fine.

Doesn't interfere with catered at all. The odd seminar may run till 6, so you'd return just after dinner's started but that's about it.

Have you tried the food in SB accommodation, namely Badock/Churchill. If you did, any good?
Reply 3
Original post by NOP97
Have you tried the food in SB accommodation, namely Badock/Churchill. If you did, any good?

I was in Wills so yep. All done by same people in bris.

I shall quote my previous catered comments:

It's canteen style, you get a meal card to show who you are, you just have it with you.
Turn up, they have usually 2 meat/fish choices, 1 veg choice (you need to be allocated veggie card for that though), and usually about 3 sides of veg/carbs.
Standard stuff, lasagne, pasta, chicken, pork etc.
[Tendency towards carbs]
Bread & butter; fruit; ice cream. Dessert - some type of pudding/cake.
Also a salad bar which is great, standard veg but also couscous/potato type salads.
And then juice/tea/coffee.

Suffice to say, had I not been in catered I do not think I would have had my friendship group at all. Some of my fondest memories are the ridiculous chats we had at lunches/dinners, and it would've been much harder to meet some of them as they were different blocks etc. [ie - catered can be more sociable]

Also, it means a year of eating relatively decently

Personally I also think for first year it takes some stress out of packing when you then also need not consider giant quantities of food and utensils etc., where to buy stuff on the first day..

Then in later years you only need sort it out communally with your housemates, once you're established, and need not have multiple toasters...
(For instance between us this year, I didn't buy any utensils as I had a few to bring and we all share - rather than all having too much)

However I would add a few caveats.
If you are likely to have long days and miss dinner, or never go to breakfast or lunches, perhaps not worth it. (I personally went to brekkie, then went back to sleep).

If you're very picky, or want to eat healthy, again, likely to be an issue - there are healthy foods (salad bar esp is fab), but a LOT of carbs.

Otherwise I'd advocate it. Plenty of time to learn in later years, plus you do still need to cook some meals yourself in catered (lunch and weekend evening meals) (albeit with only a microwave in some halls)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Inazuma
I was in Wills so yep. All done by same people in bris.

I shall quote my previous catered comments:

Nice one. Thanks.
Reply 5
Hi! I know this is an old thread but I’m currently in my first year of law at Bristol. I’m thinking ahead about travelling back and forth home (South Wales) in my third year and wondered how populated your timetable was in terms of lectures and seminars. Thanks!
Original post by G-L-P
Hi! I know this is an old thread but I’m currently in my first year of law at Bristol. I’m thinking ahead about travelling back and forth home (South Wales) in my third year and wondered how populated your timetable was in terms of lectures and seminars. Thanks!

Also a Bristol Law first year who commutes back and forth from South Wales! Hi!
Reply 7
Original post by G-L-P

How much you have in your timetable in third year really depends on how the 4 optional units you chose - some units have 10 lectures with 8-10 2 hour seminars, whilst others have 20+ lectures and 7-8 1 hour tutorials.
In terms of the compulsory units, there's a few FYRP lectures and Trusts is 20+ lectures and 8 1 hour tutorials.
Commuting is doable - especially if you explain to the timetable staff and they may be able to group your classes into a few days, as then you can book somewhere to stay in Bristol cheaply in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending