The Student Room Group

Insurance and legality questions

I passed my test on 8th March and had resided to the fact I can't afford a car until I'm working full time in Sept, however my uncle offered to give me his car so long as I pay for the insurance myself etc so I'm trying to make it work! It's a 2004 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2L.

However he wants to keep the car in his name so it's registered to him in case he ever needs it back, which I'm fine with, but when I've been doing insurance quotes I've had to confirm I'm the registered keeper of the car. Would it be illegal to have it in his name while I'm using it? He would still have his own insurance policy on the car and he'd be using his company car in the meantime but the Corsa would be kept at mine and used by me.

Originally I was going to be a named driver on his insurance but his insurance company don't insure anyone that's had their license for less than a year so I've had to look for my own insurance. I've been on compare websites and I'm struggling to get anything less than about £1300. When I did a quote directly with Direct Line it was £1600 :/ I went to try Marmalade but me and the car are too old lol
I know these prices are pretty good for a new driver but I'm 25 and a female so I was hoping they would be cheaper as I can't really afford that. Before I passed my test I did some pretend quotes (as If I'd passed) and once even got a quote for £800! I'm putting the same criteria in now and getting around £1300 and that's with my boyfriend (had his license for 8 years) as a named driver too.
Does anyone know of any tricks to get it down? I've been putting...
I'm 25, female, student nurse living at home, 2k per year mileage, car kept on street away from home, 1 additional driver, used for social purposes (no commuting), tried comprehensive, third party fire & theft and third party only.
Reply 1
You can be the main driver of a vehicle that you are not the registered keeper of, though I think most insurance companies don't like this for anything more than very short term insurance. I have only had quotes for it for day insurance for when I was considering borrowing my dad's car for a couple of days. You cannot be a named driver on such a vehicle as you would be the main driver and the named driver bit is only for occasional use.

If the vehicle is to be kept at yours for some time then you can change the registered keeper on the V5C to yourself until such time as you get a new car. This does not mean you own the vehicle so your uncle isn't selling or giving it to you. As the registered keeper things will become easier. This is what you should really be doing in a situation like this.
Reply 2
Perfectly fine, after all with lease cars the RK will be the lease company and not you
Original post by Talon
You can be the main driver of a vehicle that you are not the registered keeper of, though I think most insurance companies don't like this for anything more than very short term insurance. I have only had quotes for it for day insurance for when I was considering borrowing my dad's car for a couple of days. You cannot be a named driver on such a vehicle as you would be the main driver and the named driver bit is only for occasional use.

If the vehicle is to be kept at yours for some time then you can change the registered keeper on the V5C to yourself until such time as you get a new car. This does not mean you own the vehicle so your uncle isn't selling or giving it to you. As the registered keeper things will become easier. This is what you should really be doing in a situation like this.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Best to change the registered keeper, definitely. Seems weird to me that your uncle didn't want to do that, since any (theoretical) parking fines or speeding tickets are going to get posted to him instead of you (though you're a exemplary driver I'm sure :smile:).
Original post by Dez
Best to change the registered keeper, definitely. Seems weird to me that your uncle didn't want to do that, since any (theoretical) parking fines or speeding tickets are going to get posted to him instead of you (though you're a exemplary driver I'm sure :smile:).

Haha, that's true. I didn't think of that!

If I'm the registered keeper and he's the registered owner, do we need to change the road tax over to me as well?
Reply 6
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Haha, that's true. I didn't think of that!

If I'm the registered keeper and he's the registered owner, do we need to change the road tax over to me as well?

Yes, tax and insurance are both the responsibility of the keeper, your uncle will get a refund for the remaining months he's paid for and you'll need to set up a new payment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending