The Student Room Group

Driving test with your own car?

I have a very specific questions on what happens on the day please.

I have a provisional licence, insurance has the details as provisional licence and third party only.

My partner is not a named driver on the car.

If I talk them with me to the tests do they are DVLA verify or check the details if my partner is named on the insurance, is able To drive and their licence details?

Thanks.

Other than this, we got the car, MOT, mirror, roadworthiness all sorted.

Fingers crossed 🤞
Reply 1
in order to drive for your partner to drive legally in your car,
you need to be sure they insured on the car you and they intend to drive,
since the insurance is in currently only in your name,
it would be illegal for them to drive,

unless they have been named on the insurance too as a driver of the vehicle.

but as a another bonus note,
anyone driving as a learner needs to have a passenger who holds a full licence for a minimal of 3 years or to be an approved driving instructor
while supervising them during their learning.

it would be illegal for your partner to drive without these rules setup.

i wish you good luck.

{your partner needs a full licence or to have a provisional while having someone who has a full licence for 3+ years to instruct them every time they drive.}

{your partner needs to be named on the insurance}
Reply 2
Original post by tintlost
in order to drive for your partner to drive legally in your car,
you need to be sure they insured on the car you and they intend to drive,
since the insurance is in currently only in your name,
it would be illegal for them to drive,

unless they have been named on the insurance too as a driver of the vehicle.

but as a another bonus note,
anyone driving as a learner needs to have a passenger who holds a full licence for a minimal of 3 years or to be an approved driving instructor
while supervising them during their learning.

it would be illegal for your partner to drive without these rules setup.

i wish you good luck.

{your partner needs a full licence or to have a provisional while having someone who has a full licence for 3+ years to instruct them every time they drive.}

{your partner needs to be named on the insurance}

Thanks. I was under the impression that the learner insurance in other words, insurance that has a provisional licensee as main driver declared when taken would have factored in a lower risk and therefore defaulted to a supervisor being present. I can see the quotes are a lot lower compared to myself as a full driver licence holder with everything else the same.

I don’t see any requirement for the supervisor to be able to takeover. Not sure why they need to takeover at any point anyway. There are no dual controls.
Own car practice are prohibited from using motorways. Everywhere else I can drive as long as they are there by my side.

Do you happen to know if the examiner checks for the supervisor licence and insurance details please?
Reply 3
Original post by nctsrnc
Thanks. I was under the impression that the learner insurance in other words, insurance that has a provisional licensee as main driver declared when taken would have factored in a lower risk and therefore defaulted to a supervisor being present. I can see the quotes are a lot lower compared to myself as a full driver licence holder with everything else the same.

I don’t see any requirement for the supervisor to be able to takeover. Not sure why they need to takeover at any point anyway. There are no dual controls.
Own car practice are prohibited from using motorways. Everywhere else I can drive as long as they are there by my side.

Do you happen to know if the examiner checks for the supervisor licence and insurance details please?

while being a learner,
its illegal for the learner driver to drive without an instructor or 3yr+ licence holder present,

as it invalidates the insurance, [this is what my instructor taught me]

as for the takeover part, normally that only happens if the instructor or licence holder deems the person they are supervising, unsuitable to be driving
[be it nerves taken over too much - reckless driving - the driver is no longer being safe for other road users [car's, pedestrians, road workers]

as for if a supervisor takes over, they should have 3rd party insurance at as minimum coverage.
and you're are correct about the motorways, [duel controls] are needed unless your a full holder, but its always good to learn in your own car.
^ not every instructor will follow this rule, but most do. but it depends mostly on how comfortable they are with your current standard of driving.

[edit: the supervisor wouldnt be driving - on a test it would be the learner. and i guess it depends if the examiner has a licence to drive - you dont need to have a licence to be an examiner XD weird huh... ]
:smile:
please dont take offence to the overload of infomation but the more you know the better.

glad i could be of help. any more questions feel free to ask, sorry if i take 20 years to respond, [sometimes i can be fast sometimes i take forever]
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
while being a learner,
its illegal for the learner driver to drive without an instructor or 3yr+ licence holder present,

as it invalidates the insurance, [this is what my instructor taught me]

as for the takeover part, normally that only happens if the instructor or licence holder deems the person they are supervising, unsuitable to be driving
[be it nerves taken over too much - reckless driving - the driver is no longer being safe for other road users [car's, pedestrians, road workers]

as for if a supervisor takes over, they should have 3rd party insurance at as minimum coverage.
and you're are correct about the motorways, [duel controls] are needed unless your a full holder, but its always good to learn in your own car.
^ not every instructor will follow this rule, but most do. but it depends mostly on how comfortable they are with your current standard of driving.

[edit: the supervisor wouldnt be driving - on a test it would be the learner. and i guess it depends if the examiner has a licence to drive - you dont need to have a licence to be an examiner XD weird huh... ]
:smile:
please dont take offence to the overload of infomation but the more you know the better.

glad i could be of help. any more questions feel free to ask, sorry if i take 20 years to respond, [sometimes i can be fast sometimes i take forever]

Thanks. It’s always better to know more.

now I shall have to find someone to take to the test with me! Hope the examiner doesn’t bother them too much with drivers licence and insurance details.
Reply 5
Original post by nctsrnc
Thanks. It’s always better to know more.

now I shall have to find someone to take to the test with me! Hope the examiner doesn’t bother them too much with drivers licence and insurance details.

personally id say just go with you and the examiner, it removes pressure from the other person watching you, but its your choice and the examiners choice [but dont take my word for it,

im unsure weather your allowed anyone but your instructor and examiner with you.
Reply 6
personally id say just go with you and the examiner, it removes pressure from the other person watching you, but its your choice and the examiners choice [but dont take my word for it,

im unsure weather your allowed anyone but your instructor and examiner with you.

Okay thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending