The Student Room Group

TSR, what first car would you go for?

Scroll to see replies

Polo or a Ford Fiesta
My first car will be this bad boy:colondollar: bMW E30 325i insurance will be cheap but there may be issues with the car itself:frown:
Ive got a Fiat Grande Punto as my first car!
Cant fault it really!
I'd prefer a motorbike :smile:
Original post by Lord Samosa
I kinda just want an automatic, I hate driving a manual (do intend to pass with a manual though) :lol:

Since my budget is going to be constrained, I'd probably go for a Peugeot 206 or something. (Then save up to buy a nice car myself in the future).

I drove manual for over a year and then switched to automatic a year ago when I got my Fiesta Titanium ('15 plate). Believe me when I tell you, once you've driven an automatic (particularly if you live in a trafficky area) you will never wanna go back to driving a manual :lol:
Any of the common first cars would be completely fine.

I'd probably get a 207 because it is what I am used to driving.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ford Fiesta
i am wait a few more years then getting either an s-class, a range rover or a maserati possibly a porshe

I expect to win the euromillions tonight
Original post by Reue
Ford Fiesta

Love that colour! :smile:
Original post by WoodyMKC
I drove manual for over a year and then switched to automatic a year ago when I got my Fiesta Titanium ('15 plate). Believe me when I tell you, once you've driven an automatic (particularly if you live in a trafficky area) you will never wanna go back to driving a manual :lol:

Anybody I talk to who just started driving an automatic says the same thing. I just feel like, why drive a manual when there's an easier option available :lol:
Original post by Lord Samosa
Anybody I talk to who just started driving an automatic says the same thing. I just feel like, why drive a manual when there's an easier option available :lol:

The only possible reason I can think of is cost, I mean if you're going for a 15 year old car then you can get a manual for £500 and it might be a reliable little run-around. If you pick up an automatic of the same model and age, it's gonna cost twice as much to buy and then a lot more to keep refueling. If you're going for something newer though, say less than 8 years old, cost starts to become less of an issue. The gearboxes are a lot less intricate so don't cost as much to be repaired, the fuel economy is often better and the price difference between an auto and manual model isn't huge.

My Fiesta was brand new on lease and there was literally no difference in cost between either transmission so I thought, well, seems like the perfect time to see what this automatic business is all about. I was umming and aahing over it at first but it's one of the best decisions I ever made I reckon. You get people that say "Meh, I don't need an automatic, driving a manual is automatic to me now anyway!" but it's not until you actually get in an automatic and drive one that you realise how much less thinking and effort is required.
Pretty set on getting a circa. '05 plate 1.2L VW Polo (5d) for when I pass.
Saved up enough to comfortably afford both a car with circa. 50,000 miles, and the insurance itself (1,200 w/ Black box, 1600 without)
Reply 33

My first car was an '08 BMW 120d. Looking back, probably wouldn't recommend it as a first car, though.
Original post by James A
To all you guys who already own cars, which car did you end up getting first? :ninja:

I ended up with a BMW 1 Series as my first car, it only cost £200 per month plus insurance of just under £1k. I now have no car but I'm looking at getting either a Mercedes GLS or Range Rover.
A Tesla.
Original post by James A
Question in title

Be realistic; I know you guys want a fast car but take into account insurance and the cost of the car itself!

Me personally, I would go for a Polo or Golf (depends entirely on my insurance dropping).

To all you guys who already own cars, which car did you end up getting first? :ninja:

I have a citroen c3 (the vtr sport version) and I love it. The insurance was only £900 which surprised me because its the sports model.
Reply 37
anything manual :auto::auto:
what would you guys recommend for an 18 year old (19 in a month) male living in London who just passed his test? budget is around £3500 for car and insurance
Original post by James A
Question in title

Be realistic; I know you guys want a fast car but take into account insurance and the cost of the car itself!

Me personally, I would go for a Polo or Golf (depends entirely on my insurance dropping).

Its really pretty, I am thinking of getting one of these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending