The Student Room Group

English lit essay

Hey guys, i have written an essay on Othello below (its not the best i know), i would love it if someone could read it for me and give me a grade as well as feedback and if you like i can do the same for your essays?
Reply 1
Really good, I think that would be a B or A! What exam board are you doing? For the new English Lit AS you need to create a solid arguement that looks at both sides. Usually you will be given a extract and analyse it!
Reply 2
Original post by Alisha07
Really good, I think that would be a B or A! What exam board are you doing? For the new English Lit AS you need to create a solid arguement that looks at both sides. Usually you will be given a extract and analyse it!

Oh wow! Seriously?!?! Im doing Aqa specB, yes the specimen questions are different but this was an essay i wrote just to improve my understanding. What can i improve?
I'm also studying Othello, I've just glanced over it and it's pretty impressive.
Quick opinion?, I thought it was.....lit

I'll show myself out
Reply 5
Original post by Conceited
I'm also studying Othello, I've just glanced over it and it's pretty impressive.

Thank you, which exam board?
Reply 6
Original post by Drummerz
Quick opinion?, I thought it was.....lit

I'll show myself out

Its English Literature?
Original post by samsun12345
Hey guys, i have written an essay on Othello below (its not the best i know), i would love it if someone could read it for me and give me a grade as well as feedback and if you like i can do the same for your essays?

I'd give this a C/B, but I do Edexcel's spec.

What went well:
-I think the biggest strength of this essay is its reference to Aristotle and its constant contrasting of scenes.
-You do well to recognise that Othello is a story of transformation, and have dealt with it accordingly.

Even better if:
- I strongly disagree with the notion that Othello does not undergo anagnorisis. You can see quite clearly that he moves from a state of ignorance to one of knowledge in act five, and so I do not think that this is a good counter-argument.
- When looking at a counter-argument, I would begin to examine the idea that Othello is not a tragic hero, but a victim of the society he lives in. This helps to show your understanding of context, as well as taking a more modern approach to the argument, which you've shown signs of at the start.
- Some words you can us are:
Hamartia - tragic flaw
Peripeteia - turning point, AKA Act 3 Scene 3
- In the future, particularly for the full A Level, I would consider a post-colonial and feminist view of the piece. This, combined with the use of literary critics, could make your work very strong.

This is a good place to be before the exam in a week or two, just look to perhaps refine your argument a bit before the real deal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you, which exam board?

AQA Specification B
Reply 9
Original post by Conceited
AQA Specification B

new specification?
Original post by Jasaron
I'd give this a C/B, but I do Edexcel's spec.

What went well:
-I think the biggest strength of this essay is its reference to Aristotle and its constant contrasting of scenes.
-You do well to recognise that Othello is a story of transformation, and have dealt with it accordingly.

Even better if:
- I strongly disagree with the notion that Othello does not undergo anagnorisis. You can see quite clearly that he moves from a state of ignorance to one of knowledge in act five, and so I do not think that this is a good counter-argument.
- When looking at a counter-argument, I would begin to examine the idea that Othello is not a tragic hero, but a victim of the society he lives in. This helps to show your understanding of context, as well as taking a more modern approach to the argument, which you've shown signs of at the start.
- Some words you can us are:
Hamartia - tragic flaw
Peripeteia - turning point, AKA Act 3 Scene 3
- In the future, particularly for the full A Level, I would consider a post-colonial and feminist view of the piece. This, combined with the use of literary critics, could make your work very strong.

This is a good place to be before the exam in a week or two, just look to perhaps refine your argument a bit before the real deal.

I really dont want a C :frown:
But thank you for the feedback, even though i dont agree with you that Othello undergoes complete anagnorisis because if he had then his obsession with pride would have vanished since it was the cause of his downfall, however his last speech is still full of pride and how he fears what people will say about him after his death. He dies ignorant
p.s. I just hate Othello as a character :smile:)
I really dont want a C :frown:
But thank you for the feedback, even though i dont agree with you that Othello undergoes complete anagnorisis because if he had then his obsession with pride would have vanished since it was the cause of his downfall, however his last speech is still full of pride and how he fears what people will say about him after his death. He dies ignorant
p.s. I just hate Othello as a character :smile:)

His last speech isn't full of pride, though. He tells them, in their report to Venice, let nothing "extenuate" his deeds. Furthermore, he compares himself to the "Turk who traduced the state". He is basically saying: "I made a terrible mistake. I've thrown away the most beautiful thing I've ever known, and I don't want any forgiveness." I've heard your argument a few times, and fail to see where it comes from. He calls himself a "fool"! Surely that's the least proud thing a man of his stature could do?
Does he ever openly apologies for the death of his 'beloved'? No, because he is too concerned about what will be said after his death, he is too busy ordering those around him on what they should say.
He calls himself an 'honourable murderer' and as for the part where he says 'fool' he could be referring to Iago, nothing is certain.

Your view of the events is as follows:
-Othello claims that he is honourable, thus saying that what he did was right?
-He calls Iago a fool, despite understanding that this "fool" has "ensnared his body and soul".
-Then, he tells people what to say about him in his death, and kills himself to protect his honour?

1. If someone has manipulated you, using a degree of intelligence that is beyond anything we see in reality, would you call that person a fool?
2. When Othello is explaining why he THOUGHT he was an "honourable murderer", he is yet to know about the handkerchief. Is this not somebody who is desperately clinging onto the idea that he might have been right?
3. If Othello really sees the affair with Desdemona as an inconvenience of sorts, and not as an act that he is ashamed of, why is it that he returns to Desdemona, kissing her with his last breath?

Anagnorisis occurs precisely on line 323. Remember that anagnorisis means 'recognition', not humbleness, or apology. Othello CLEARLY recognises he's been duped. If he did not undergo anagnorisis, as you have argued, you believe that Othello dies thinking that Desdemona was unfaithful. That isn't the case.
Its English Literature?

http://prntscr.com/b1cxrf :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest