The Student Room Group

How to get better at GCSE english

Im in year 11 and predicted seven 9s and two 8s in gcses, aswell as getting a 9 in RS in year 10, I really want all 9s but struggle so so much with english (we do Macbeth, AIC, Jekyll and Hyde and P&C poetry) in my year 10 end of years I got a 7 in english lit and an 8 in language but in year 9 I got a 4 in language!, I have mocks soon and I really need actual advice on how to improve, I can analyse in class really well but everything goes wrong in english exams.
Reply 1
heyy!! i'm in y12 and did the same books as you for gcse english (not poems though bc for some reason we did eduqas instead of aqa like the rest of you guys) and my best advice for getting 9s in english lang + lit would honestly be to complete and send in as many practice essays into a teacher that you trust to give reliable and proper feedback on how to improve. for english lit, ensure you find a selection of in-depth, sophisticated analysises of quotes from each book (and poem) to write about in practice essays and try perfect your exam technique by doing both, as many past papers as you can, but also by looking at example grade 9 essays and seeing what they have that you haven't. for english language, try perfect how to do each type of creative/transactional writing using videos on youtube and practice thinking up plans within 2-3 minutes and having a selection of advanced vocabulary on hand for the exam (one way to do this is by reading fictional books in your free time and picking up writing styles and language from there, or you could use a few versatile words from a thesaurus [ensuring that they fit the context appropriately] to include in your practice essays and improve the overall tone of your essays).
last thing that is vastly important to both papers is time management = practice here makes perfect, using stopwatches and timers etc. at home to plan out the timescales for each question will come in clutch in the exam
hope this all helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by scarlett.08
Im in year 11 and predicted seven 9s and two 8s in gcses, aswell as getting a 9 in RS in year 10, I really want all 9s but struggle so so much with english (we do Macbeth, AIC, Jekyll and Hyde and P&C poetry) in my year 10 end of years I got a 7 in english lit and an 8 in language but in year 9 I got a 4 in language!, I have mocks soon and I really need actual advice on how to improve, I can analyse in class really well but everything goes wrong in english exams.

also, PMT has some pretty advanced analysises of all those books that you can use

Quick Reply

Latest