The Student Room Group

helpful A-Levels for journalism

I am interested in a career in journalism, specifically the field of fashion journalism. I already have quite a bit of experience for this career path; however, I was wondering what university degree and A-Levels are recommended for this career. Do you recommend I do a degree in media, fashion communication, English, Art History, journalism, or something entirely different?

I have currently submitted Chemistry, Biology, and English Lit to my chosen school for A-Levels; however, admissions allows us time to change until October if we find A-Levels better suited for our futures. Do you think Art History, Classic Civilisations or Early-Modern History would be helpful instead of Chemistry, as that is a subject I do not want to continue?
Original post by skz123
I am interested in a career in journalism, specifically the field of fashion journalism. I already have quite a bit of experience for this career path; however, I was wondering what university degree and A-Levels are recommended for this career. Do you recommend I do a degree in media, fashion communication, English, Art History, journalism, or something entirely different?

I have currently submitted Chemistry, Biology, and English Lit to my chosen school for A-Levels; however, admissions allows us time to change until October if we find A-Levels better suited for our futures. Do you think Art History, Classic Civilisations or Early-Modern History would be helpful instead of Chemistry, as that is a subject I do not want to continue?

As far as I know, you don't need specific A Levels to get into journalism. You also don't really need any specific qualifications to get into journalism (I'm surprised that they didn't mentioned this when you were doing your work experience).

In other words, your current A Levels are fine as they are. You can change them to anything you want though.

If you want, you can do any essay based subjects for the degree. English Lit is good, as well as History and Classics.

The sort of degrees that are generally recommended for journalism are those accredited by the NCTJ. See the following:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/newspaper-journalist
https://www.nctj.com/qualifications-courses/find-a-course/
Original post by skz123

Hey I am a year 13 and I have received all my ucas offers for a journalism degree. The A levels you take don’t really matter all university’s ask for is at least one essay based subject, like English. However, despite the one essay based subject you pick , you can pick any subjects as they can all interlink with the type of journalism you want to go into :smile:
Original post by Graciemosley05
Original post by skz123

Hey I am a year 13 and I have received all my ucas offers for a journalism degree. The A levels you take don’t really matter all university’s ask for is at least one essay based subject, like English. However, despite the one essay based subject you pick , you can pick any subjects as they can all interlink with the type of journalism you want to go into :smile:

I don’t recommend doing 3 essay subjects because I do politics, eng lit and Lang and it’s HELL! But that one essay subject can help you a lot in your applications + your portfolio if you are required
Reply 4
Original post by Graciemosley05

Thank You! What A-Levels did you do?
Original post by skz123

Thank You! What A-Levels did you do?

I did/do politics, English language and literature as I am going into political journalism this year. I do recommended doing an English subject or media
Original post by skz123

Hi @skz123

Firstly, it's great that you already have experience in this area. If it's fashion journalism you want to go into, I would recommend doing a degree in Journalism, and tailoring your modules and projects to suit your interest in fashion to really show off your skills!

English Lit is a great essay-based subject that shows you have some of the skills needed for Journalism, and a History-based course also could help towards the degree, so if you're not enjoying Chemistry, I would change to something you would enjoy.

I second @MindMax2000, and would look into NTCJ accredited courses, such as our Journalism course at University of Gloucestershire: https://www.glos.ac.uk/courses/course/jor-ba-journalism/

I studied this course, so if you have any questions, please ask away! 🙂

Mara
University of Gloucestershire

Quick Reply

Latest