The Student Room Group

How long does it take to get real abs (male)?

I don't really have any weight to lose, just need to hit the crunches (no i :wink:) and get ripped.

How long am I looking at here?

Scroll to see replies

nothing to do with training really
i never worked them but i had very clear abs because i was borderline anoerxic in weight
you probably still have too much fat covering them
6packs are for faggots anyway, unless ur big and muscular its like big tits on a fat woman, they're a given
Original post by Straighthate
i never worked them but i had very clear abs because i was borderline anoerxic in weight
6packs are for faggots anyway, unless ur big and muscular its like big tits on a fat woman, they're a given

I Lolled.
I was hoping for an intelligent answer.
It varies from person to person. It depends entirely on your current weight, metabolism etc.
How long is a piece of string
Reply 6
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I don't really have any weight to lose, just need to hit the crunches (no i :wink:) and get ripped.

Pure diet and very little exercise imo.

post a picture

maybe never

maybe next month
Just buy steds bro trust me
Original post by TercioOfParma
It varies from person to person. It depends entirely on your current weight, metabolism etc.

I weigh 10st 5.5lbs and I am 5ft 10".

I am currently walking around 16 miles each day, yet I still have too much flab around the love handles and moobs.

I am not in the gym at the moment.
I weigh 10st 5.5lbs and I am 5ft 10".

I am currently walking around 16 miles each day, yet I still have too much flab around the love handles and moobs.

I am not in the gym at the moment.

Run instead. Don't eat too much sugar. Add some HIIT into your routine.
Original post by donutellme
Run instead. Don't eat too much sugar. Add some HIIT into your routine.

What is HIIT?

Fitbit tells me my BPM sometimes hits 160+ when walking, and that is "Peak" rather than just "Fat Burn".

Is swimming better than walking?

V-ups 3 sets of 30
Press ups 4 set of 25
Push ups 4 set of 25

Takes about a few months to get the hand of the intense workouts so.. around 3-4 months. Do once every 2 days so if Monday --2 days gap- Do again on Thursday.
Original post by Straighthate

Well someone self esteem is having problems, maybe quit the hate.
What is HIIT?

Fitbit tells me my BPM sometimes hits 160+ when walking, and that is "Peak" rather than just "Fat Burn".

Is swimming better than walking?

Your heart might be a big weak...

Swimming and running are both good. So long as it's regular and fairly intense.

HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. So you'd do push ups for 30 seconds, rest for a minute, then sit ups, then rest, then etc... Do that 2 times a day for 20-30 mins each.

Also buy a pull up bar, and do leg raises + pull ups. having abs ain't ****, but having the whole body is.
What does ecto mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I think that your starting point is probably the biggest factor, since it will take much longer if you're starting from a high body fat % than from starting from a low %. It also will depend on the training you're doing, quality of nutrition, bodily disposition for gaining muscle, and so on.

As a ball park figure without a high body fat %, I'm guessing it'd take at least 6 months to "have abs", depending on your starting point. To get a defined six pack though is a long-term commitment that will likely take at least a year.

People who have more knowledge and experience please feel free to correct or refine what I've said.
(edited 7 years ago)
LOL @ the first post.

Lift weights. If you're fat make sure you do cardio. Eat in a caloric deficit try to lose 1 lbs a week. Be consistent.
When you start getting fitter, try a workout called insanity - google it, download it from an entirely legitimate source and get ripped
Reply 18
I have a natural 8 pack, I guess I'd say it's down to genetics 🤔

Quick Reply

Latest