The Student Room Group

Should I do Economics and History?

My current A Level choices are: Politics, Psychology, Sociology and Media.

However I've been considering replacing Sociology and Psychology with Economics and History.

I used to despise Maths until a couple months ago and I suddenly went from getting E's and D's to very high Bs, I really love Maths now but am not good enough at it to study at A Level, this is why I've considered taking Economics because it's apparently linked with Maths??? I don't really understand the subject other than it's to do with money. Is there a lot of writing or is it more solving questions like in Maths? How difficult is it?

Also I need to do a facilitating subject (Maths, English Lit, Sciences, Languages, History and Geography) if I want to get into a good university and although I'm decent at English, I don't enjoy it enough to do as A Level and the others I'm pretty average in (B grade)

I don't do History GCSE but am considering it at A Level for my facilitating subject. Will I be behind because of not taking the GCSE? and I know it's very hard, all A Levels are but is it like TOO hard for someone who hasn't done the GCSE and doesn't know much about the subject despite the fact I have decent essay writing skills?
Original post by xgeorgialily

However I've been considering replacing Sociology and Psychology with Economics and History.

I used to despise Maths until a couple months ago and I suddenly went from getting E's and D's to very high Bs, I really love Maths now but am not good enough at it to study at A Level, this is why I've considered taking Economics because it's apparently linked with Maths??? I don't really understand the subject other than it's to do with money. Is there a lot of writing or is it more solving questions like in Maths? How difficult is it?

Also I need to do a facilitating subject (Maths, English Lit, Sciences, Languages, History and Geography) if I want to get into a good university and although I'm decent at English, I don't enjoy it enough to do as A Level and the others I'm pretty average in (B grade)

I don't do History GCSE but am considering it at A Level for my facilitating subject. Will I be behind because of not taking the GCSE? and I know it's very hard, all A Levels are but is it like TOO hard for someone who hasn't done the GCSE and doesn't know much about the subject despite the fact I have decent essay writing skills?

I do Economics and History. Economics doesn't really have a lot of Maths but I guess it depends on your exam board. It can be quite tough at first but it's a very interesting subject and I think it's definitely worthwhile.

You preferably need more than one facilitating subject but one that isn't, or even two, is probably acceptable at most universities.

History can definitely be taken at A-Level without the GCSE, although it may be a little difficult at first. Maybe talk to your teachers about your subject choices? I got given textbooks to look at etc.

I would say take History A-Level. I am currently doing it and it is really interesting. Very difficult at first and you may doubt yourself, but stick with it and it all begins to make sense. I would keep Psychology though, it is reasonably easy (well, as easy as A-Levels get) and is very interesting to learn about. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Edminzodo
I do Economics and History. Economics doesn't really have a lot of Maths but I guess it depends on your exam board. It can be quite tough at first but it's a very interesting subject and I think it's definitely worthwhile.

You preferably need more than one facilitating subject but one that isn't, or even two, is probably acceptable at most universities.

History can definitely be taken at A-Level without the GCSE, although it may be a little difficult at first. Maybe talk to your teachers about your subject choices? I got given textbooks to look at etc.

Okay thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by JackMedhurst
I would say take History A-Level. I am currently doing it and it is really interesting. Very difficult at first and you may doubt yourself, but stick with it and it all begins to make sense. I would keep Psychology though, it is reasonably easy (well, as easy as A-Levels get) and is very interesting to learn about. Hope this helps.

It does help, thanks a lot😊
Okay thank you!!

I'd say Politics, Psychology, History and Economics, or maybe Maths instead of one of them. Overall, just do what you like and you can't go very far wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest