The Student Room Group

Nursing essentials

Hey everyone, so I've been accepted to Northumbria and I was wondering if there are any essentials/books I should get before I start the course to be prepared and give myself a head start? I know there are going to be a lot of books to get so I want to start getting a few now instead of getting them all at once! Any recommendations?
Many thanks x
You don't need to buy a lot of books, but I would get a good anatomy and physiology book, Ross and Wilson and Peate, Gormley-Fleming if you are studying child branch.
Your library will have all the books you need but for assignments journals are more up to date.
Comfortable black shoes are an essential, but again wait, because your uni may specify a particular design.
A fob watch and small notepad that fits into your tunic are needed for placements but apart from the usual pens and paper that's all you need!
Depending on much A&P you already know, you may want to get up to speed on that. I spent the summer watching video lectures on YouTube which realty helped.
Original post by NurseNico
Hey everyone, so I've been accepted to Northumbria and I was wondering if there are any essentials/books I should get before I start the course to be prepared and give myself a head start? I know there are going to be a lot of books to get so I want to start getting a few now instead of getting them all at once! Any recommendations?
Many thanks x

Get yourself a good water bottle - one that can hold a lot of water and won't leak all over your uni work. I swear by the brand Camelbak. It's so important to keep hydrated on placements.
Original post by NurseNico
Many thanks x

You'll probably pick up most things after you've started, for placement I take a large cool bag with all of my meals, fob watch (you'll get one free if you join a union sometimes), black and red pens, highlighter, dressing and bandage scissors (not essential by any means, certainly not in 1st year), lip salve and non-aerosol body spray. Water is very very important, especially in summer and you'll need an ice pack or cool bag (big enough for breakfast, dinner and tea) if there isn't much fridge space.

I made the mistake of spending a fortune on books, most of which I've hardly used, even Ross & Wilson Anatomy and Physiology, which I think I've flicked through once. Honestly if you're willing to spend some time in the library (and rush there after assignments are given out to get the books first) then you'll be fine. I find for assignments that I prefer specific textbooks on the assignment topic rather than these huge generalised nursing ones so it really is more sensible just to borrow them. Most universities have access to ebooks via their library catalogue so you should check which books are available via this before buying them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending