The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Applying for Chemical Engineering without further maths

I'm currently a year 12 student who is taking A-levels in Biology, Maths and Chemistry and at the beginning of next year I will be applying for uni (Chemical Engineering MEng).
I have the opportunity to study further maths (AS-level) in addition to my three A-levels.
To what extent would this strengthen my application? Even if it wouldn't change my chances of getting an offer to the university of Bath, do you think this would make first year easier?
I'd imagine that further maths or physics would be useful/preferable for any engineering course at uni :h:

From Bath's website:

Preference will be shown to students who are taking any of the following as their third subject:

Further Mathematics

Physics

Biology

Although this is talking about the third subject, I think it still shows that they do have a preference for these subjects :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by surina16
I'd imagine that further maths or physics would be useful/preferable for any engineering course at uni :h:

From Bath's website:

Although this is talking about the third subject, I think it still shows that they do have a preference for these subjects :smile:

Thanks very much :smile:
I didn't know I wanted to do Chemical Engineering at the end of last year so I didn't take physics despite the fact I enjoyed the subject and didn't consider further maths because I thought it would be unnecessary. I'm very keen to stand out and I am really enjoying maths this year so I wouldn't object to taking more.

Does anyone know if unis are still going to look at AS-levels because A-levels are now linear. I can only take Further Maths to AS-Level since I'll be starting it at the start of year 13.
Original post by srd6
I didn't know I wanted to do Chemical Engineering at the end of last year so I didn't take physics despite the fact I enjoyed the subject and didn't consider further maths because I thought it would be unnecessary. I'm very keen to stand out and I am really enjoying maths this year so I wouldn't object to taking more.

Does anyone know if unis are still going to look at AS-levels because A-levels are now linear. I can only take Further Maths to AS-Level since I'll be starting it at the start of year 13.

I have a place for chem eng for this year, starting september. Basically, be good at maths, get an a* in it. The other two subjects are irreelvant for an engineering course: engineering is maths and more maths. The 'chemical' bit is a misnomer, as any chemistry in the course is trivial. Indeed, further maths isn't really necessary either, for now just that a* in maths and an a in chemistry (if next year's offers are anything like this year's a*aa).
Original post by srd6
I'm currently a year 12 student who is taking A-levels in Biology, Maths and Chemistry and at the beginning of next year I will be applying for uni (Chemical Engineering MEng).
I have the opportunity to study further maths (AS-level) in addition to my three A-levels.
To what extent would this strengthen my application? Even if it wouldn't change my chances of getting an offer to the university of Bath, do you think this would make first year easier?

It would help slightly during your first year of uni but it wouldn't really strengthen your application much. I do Maths, Chemistry and Biology also and got an offer from Bath. ( got a C in further Maths AS-level)
Good Luck!
Original post by srd6

do AS further, especially if you don't do physics either.
Reply 6
Original post by Daniel9998
It would help slightly during your first year of uni but it wouldn't really strengthen your application much. I do Maths, Chemistry and Biology also and got an offer from Bath. ( got a C in further Maths AS-level)
Good Luck!

I'm going to speak to my maths teacher tomorrow about different options. One of which is teach myself FP1 and write in my personal statement that I've done further reading. I would have to take D1 and it's completely irrelevant to what I want to do. I think I should focus on getting the a* in maths (C1 and C2 are going well so I'm hopeful for next year). Thanks for all the advice. It's great to know that someone has been offered a place who is taking the same subjects as me.
Good luck for your exams :-)
Original post by srd6
I'm going to speak to my maths teacher tomorrow about different options. One of which is teach myself FP1 and write in my personal statement that I've done further reading. I would have to take D1 and it's completely irrelevant to what I want to do. I think I should focus on getting the a* in maths (C1 and C2 are going well so I'm hopeful for next year). Thanks for all the advice. It's great to know that someone has been offered a place who is taking the same subjects as me.
Good luck for your exams :-)

Waste of time, dont bother. Stick with the subjects you have and concentrate on getting good grades on those.
cheeers
Original post by srd6

I'm studying here now and got in with just Maths/Chem/Bio (my 4th AS was philosophy..). Whilst Bath is pretty competitive, I don't think subjects help much. It's more about your personal statement and predicted grades ect. GL :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest