The Student Room Group

AQA Mathematics Core 1 on Wednesday 18th May 2016

I understand most of the concepts for this paper but my problem is that some questions have really weird wording and I find it hard to answer the question sometimes. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could do to stop this from happening in the exam? (without saying practicing papers papers because I've literally done all of them!) . Thanks
Original post by Arun99
I understand most of the concepts for this paper but my problem is that some questions have really weird wording and I find it hard to answer the question sometimes. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could do to stop this from happening in the exam? (without saying practicing papers papers because I've literally done all of them!) . Thanks

In what way are they weirdly worded?
Reply 2
They will ask you to do something like use the factor theorem to show that for example x + 1 fits into an equation. I do it using the factor theorem so multiplying everything out:

ax3 + bx2 +cx... and so on. But then when I check the mark scheme it shows a completely different method. So instead they sub in that number directly into the equation; even though it says use the factor theorem. I don't understand why.
Reply 3
you're supposed to sub x = -1 in for factor theorem for that example.. I'm not quite sure what you're doing :redface:
Reply 4
Okay. I haven't been taught that way. I'll do some more examples. Thanks
Original post by Arun99
They will ask you to do something like use the factor theorem to show that for example x + 1 fits into an equation. I do it using the factor theorem so multiplying everything out:

ax3 + bx2 +cx... and so on. But then when I check the mark scheme it shows a completely different method. So instead they sub in that number directly into the equation; even though it says use the factor theorem. I don't understand why.

I would advise going over the factor theorem my friend.
Reply 6
Okay. I will. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest