The Student Room Group

Banking Vs Entrepreneur

Hi guys,

So basically since I was around 14/15 I've always thought about myself wanting to go into banking (private), however now at 18 I've had the realisation that what i really want is to run my own company, since it is the only job where the money isn't the factor that appeals me and i feel i have a genuine interest in it. However as a job it is extremely risky, theres the possibility that I could never succeed and I guess I'm writing this to ask other people opinions opinions.

Be safe and try and go into banking or start trying to become an entrepreneur?
Reply 1
"Be safe and try to go into banking"? I'm not sure that's a safe option either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by thad33

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand where you're coming from, I've already acquired a fair bit of work experience and as a career there are ways that i believe i can get into it through people i know from this. Moreover job security isn't a huge importance for me as I like taking risks and it is a sustainable job, just maybe at different companies :wink:
Original post by FecktheIB
I understand where you're coming from, I've already acquired a fair bit of work experience and as a career there are ways that i believe i can get into it through people i know from this. Moreover job security isn't a huge importance for me as I like taking risks and it is a sustainable job, just maybe at different companies :wink:

'Work experience' is not enough.. The application to offer ratios for the front office jobs are 50-100 to 1 for a reason, not any joe shmuck who claims to have some work experience can get a front office job. The job is also not sustainable in the traditional sense, if you're not moving upwards you'll get shown the door.

As for your post.. Go for the entrepreneur route if you want, no one's stopping you. Personally, I'd prefer getting solid grounding in a top grad job first before diving into entrepreneurship. The network of my eventual class (and of course the senior professionals), the training, the learning curve/skill development are all top notch - you see a lot of ex-trader/banker/consultants end up in entrepreneurship because of these reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's safe insofar that it's more-or-less conservative. Yes, high competition, high wash out rate, but also relatively risk free compared to entrepreneurship and not contingent on having a great idea.
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
'Work experience' is not enough.. The application to offer ratios for the front office jobs are 50-100 to 1 for a reason, not any joe shmuck who claims to have some work experience can get a front office job. The job is also not sustainable in the traditional sense, if you're not moving upwards you'll get shown the door.

As for your post.. Go for the entrepreneur route if you want, no one's stopping you. Personally, I'd prefer getting solid grounding in a top grad job first before diving into entrepreneurship. The network of my eventual class (and of course the senior professionals), the training, the learning curve/skill development are all top notch - you see a lot of ex-trader/banker/consultants end up in entrepreneurship because of these reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh i understand that it wouldn't be easy, and id have to start in a low position. But thanks for the advice ,and yeah i thought about trying to get into banking first, however i know i wouldn't put 100% of my time to it and therefore maybe be 'shown the door'. I guess its important to do what you're passionate about in life if you want to be successful, Cheers for the help.
I dropped out of uni to start a business and it's the best thing I ever did. It's opened up my eyes to what I'm capable and what's possible in the world.

IMO when you're young you can take risks and still have time on your side. I dropped out of Uni at 21 to start a business, it failed but it gave ma an incredible CV. I got a good job immediately that I enjoyed and then I've since started a successful business afterwards.

I'm 100% Team Entrepreneurship over Banking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending