The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Are the professors approachable? I remember going to an open day at a particular university, (not mentioning names), and the professor was really stingy with answers.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Reader106
Are the professors approachable? I remember going to an open day at a particular university, (not mentioning names), and the professor was really stingy with answers.

It depends on the lecturer and the course itself. For me, I've found that most of my lecturers are approachable, and they all have office hours where you can get 1-to-1 help with anything you're confused about on their module. Some are more helpful than others, but all of the lecturers that I've encountered really try to help, even if they may initially appear hostile.
Hi I've applied to study BA sociology st the University of Birmingham however I am rather apprehensive about studying the course and would like some things to be clarified. I would like to know is it a stimulating subjuct to study? Are the lecturers approachable? What career options are open for sociology students? Can you work in the NHS with a BA Sociology degree?
Thanks ! 😊
Mareena
Hi! Don't know if people are still using this- but I'd love to get a reply from a med student/someone who has lectures near the med school?

I'll be at Birmingham studying med next year and am torn between applying for accommodation at Jarratt Hall or the Vale as my top choice! After fresher's passes, is being closer to the medical school better than being close to the Vale?
Hi,

Are there any music rooms available to students (in particular a drum kit which you can practice on?)
Thanks
hello! i applied for the foundation programme. Does anyone have any feedback from it? Also, any suggestions for accommodation with private room with bathroom?

thanks x
Original post by lucystubbings1
So excited to come to Uni of Birmingham! I'd like to know what Freshers was like at UOB and how the nightlife is? Also, as a whole, would you recommend the university!?

Freshers will be fun! trust me! there will be many many events, during the day and in the evening. Enjoy it all, also recommend joining societies! because they have a lot of events going on throughout the year!

Original post by Reader106

From personal experience, my lecturers don't like giving answers instead they want us to find the answers. Lecturers will try and make you more independent instead of relying on them all the time. My lecturers are nice, my personal tutors so sweet!
Reply 1088
The entry grades for my course (English Language) are AAB however at the moment i see it as unlikely that i will get that:frown: does anyone know of any instances where people have got accepted on lower grades??
Hello, weird question, but can you buy a lab coat from anywhere or do you need to buy them from a certain supplier? Thanks!
Original post by mia.t
The entry grades for my course (English Language) are AAB however at the moment i see it as unlikely that i will get that:frown: does anyone know of any instances where people have got accepted on lower grades??

Well, there's always A2B... check it out to see if your eligible! X
Reply 1091
Hi guys,

I'm currently a student from Melbourne University going on exchange to Birmingham next semester. I noticed how short your semesters are compared to ours, just wondering if there is a such thing as a mid-semester break of some kind? Thanks ! :smile:
Original post by auuds
Hi guys,

I'm currently a student from Melbourne University going on exchange to Birmingham next semester. I noticed how short your semesters are compared to ours, just wondering if there is a such thing as a mid-semester break of some kind? Thanks ! :smile:

It depends what your course is - most courses have a break halfway through in week 6, but not all do
Can I ask if anyone got in without getting the grade requirements?
Reply 1094
Original post by Archdukes

Yeah this is what I am wondering as it's not looking too promising right now 😩
Original post by Archdukes

Yep. I needed AAA and I got in with AAB :smile:
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
Lots of people have been asking me questions individually, and I think it would be good if everyone could ask questions and get answers!

If you have any questions or queries about life in Birmingham as a city, the uni, accommodation etc. feel free to ask me anything! :smile:

How is the medical course at Birmingham? and why did you choose it over any other university?
Also, what is the track team like?
hello everyone,
I think about postgraduate civil engineering here, Does anyone know how timetable looks like in a ''part time'' option?
Hi! I currently just finished my foundation programme at Strathclyde, but I wanted to move to Birmingham to do the LLB course 'law with business studies.' However, I still didn't get a reply and my overall grade was 67, but I was told Birmingham required students doing a foundation year to get 75 and over. Is there still a chance I might get an offer?
Hey does anyone have any tips for an aspiring single honour Drama student into getting in to the course and handling the NVP audition i think its called haha. I know Birmingham is number one for Drama in the league tables so I need all the help I can get. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending