The Student Room Group

Are Science degrees valued the same as Humanities; I think not

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Implication
i'm just about to finish a masters degree in a natural science and there's has been a negligible amount of this in any of my science classes. in fact there was far more of this in half a term of my psychology a-level than in my entire science 'career'!

Where the **** are you lol?

I went to a ex-poly (boo, hiss etc) doing a biological degree and we spent a good section of the final year ripping scientific papers to shreds, having to explain why we think their conclusions could be flawed, even if they're correct how could the findings be made more concrete, did they make points in their discussion which their data doesn't really point to, do they or anyone involved in their paper have any sort of bias or were any sources of funding impact what they'd "find" from their results etc.

Hell we did it first and second year to a degree. I mean how else do you quote a lot of scientific papers in assignments otherwise? A lot of it is playing them against each other, Stubbs et al finds X happens, but Bartel et al founds X is not significant, Stubbs methodolgy is questionable due to Y, **** sample size, using Z as a measure instead of Q etc etc.

You must be taught to question to a pretty significant degree I'd have thought...albeit I've not done a Masters, but with it being a glorified dissertation, again since you're likely researching something new, you'd be using a lot of current stuff in the lit review and saying what areas they missed, what you're contributing, maybe what you think is an improved methodology etc.
Original post by joey11223

I went to a ex-poly (boo, hiss etc) doing a biological degree and we spent a good section of the final year ripping scientific papers to shreds, having to explain why we think their conclusions could be flawed, even if they're correct how could the findings be made more concrete, did they make points in their discussion which their data doesn't really point to, do they or anyone involved in their paper have any sort of bias or were any sources of funding impact what they'd "find" from their results etc.

Hell we did it first and second year to a degree. I mean how else do you quote a lot of scientific papers in assignments otherwise? A lot of it is playing them against each other, Stubbs et al finds X happens, but Bartel et al founds X is not significant, Stubbs methodolgy is questionable due to Y, **** sample size, using Z as a measure instead of Q etc etc.

You must be taught to question to a pretty significant degree I'd have thought...albeit I've not done a Masters, but with it being a glorified dissertation, again since you're likely researching something new, you'd be using a lot of current stuff in the lit review and saying what areas they missed, what you're contributing, maybe what you think is an improved methodology etc.

I imagine this is because implication studies mathematical physics, so when looking at papers, say for a proof, it is either a full proof, partial proof or incorrect. There isnt any/much time looking at observations in mathematical physics, ideas are built up from a more rigid set of definitions so being able to analyse the same results in different ways to draw different conclusions is unlikely to crop up like in a experimental science
Original post by joey11223

my course is an undergrad masters so integrated 4 year course. basically you do 3 years, if you want you can take the bachelors and go after that or stay for an extra year and get a masters. it's an MSci not an MSc and not as research-focussed as a postgrad masters might be. i've had 40 credits of 'project' work the entire course, and dissertations only worth 40% of that.

i go to notts, but as someone else has said my course is mathematical physics so is very rigorous with less room for subjectivity (I don't mean to imply that more objective subject matter is 'better'). I think that might be the way of it though - the more subjective the subject matter, the more you have to employ these critical thinking skills that aren't really developed in very mathsy courses.

it's not quite this simple, but a lot of the papers i've dealth with pretty much go 'hey, here's a mathematical model. look at the physical predictions it makes. great, it matches reality well here! oh no, it's not so good there! i wonder if it's because...' i think there's just less room for qualitative debate around the accuracy, validity, reliability etc. etc. of the results
Reply 23
Original post by floury
Science students are not taught to question, but rather accept what is told to them. Whereas it is the opposite for English and History students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nice meme

this is what arts students unironically think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending