The Student Room Group

Does Edinburgh Accept BTEC’s

I’m trying so hard to find Btec entry requirements on their website but I don’t understand, it says they accept but nothing on the course finder.. does UoEdinburgh take BTEC Applied science for medical science/ biomed??
Original post by curiousgeorge12
I’m trying so hard to find Btec entry requirements on their website but I don’t understand, it says they accept but nothing on the course finder.. does UoEdinburgh take BTEC Applied science for medical science/ biomed??

This page lists the BTECs they accept, how they translate the BTEC grades to A level grades, etc.

You will not that they do not say that they accept the BTEC Extended Diploma (which is the equivalent of three A levels). They say that the only BTEC they accept is the Extended Certificate (each of which is the equivalent of one A level). Furthermore, they the say that if the degree has A level subject requirements (which both Medicine and Biomedical Sciences do), then a BTEC cannot be used to meet that requirement, except in very specific scenarios.

You mention that you "take BTEC Applied science". Are you doing a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science?
Original post by DataVenia
This page lists the BTECs they accept, how they translate the BTEC grades to A level grades, etc.
You will not that they do not say that they accept the BTEC Extended Diploma (which is the equivalent of three A levels). They say that the only BTEC they accept is the Extended Certificate (each of which is the equivalent of one A level). Furthermore, they the say that if the degree has A level subject requirements (which both Medicine and Biomedical Sciences do), then a BTEC cannot be used to meet that requirement, except in very specific scenarios.
You mention that you "take BTEC Applied science". Are you doing a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science?

Yes I’m doing the extended diploma, I completely forgot the differences and their equivalents! Thank you

Is this the same for Glasgow?
Is this the same for Glasgow?

Well, they go into a lot of detail about BTECs on this page, but things are still a tad vague.

With respect to an BTEC in Applied Science they say, "L3 Extended Diploma at Grades DDD will give access to Year 1 of most Life Sciences and Science Degrees (applicants to Psychology will require GCSE Maths at Grade B or above)." I don't like the word "most" in that sentence, nor the fact that the word BTEC is absent from their Medicine page, here.

In fact, they also say, "Due to the number of BTEC qualifications, combinations of BTEC and A-Levels, requirements for specific subjects at A-Level or GCSE, and range of degree programmes offered by the University (some of which have very specific requirements), applicants are strongly advised to use the following table for guidance only and seek further clarification from the University Admissions department prior to submitting their application if eligibility criteria is not clear."

So I think that's what you're going to need to do. In fact, contacting Edinburgh for clarification would probably be wise too. If you receive a response, please post your findings back here. :smile:
Well, they go into a lot of detail about BTECs on this page, but things are still a tad vague.
With respect to an BTEC in Applied Science they say, "L3 Extended Diploma at Grades DDD will give access to Year 1 of most Life Sciences and Science Degrees (applicants to Psychology will require GCSE Maths at Grade B or above)." I don't like the word "most" in that sentence, nor the fact that the word BTEC is absent from their Medicine page, here.
In fact, they also say, "Due to the number of BTEC qualifications, combinations of BTEC and A-Levels, requirements for specific subjects at A-Level or GCSE, and range of degree programmes offered by the University (some of which have very specific requirements), applicants are strongly advised to use the following table for guidance only and seek further clarification from the University Admissions department prior to submitting their application if eligibility criteria is not clear."
So I think that's what you're going to need to do. In fact, contacting Edinburgh for clarification would probably be wise too. If you receive a response, please post your findings back here. :smile:

I’ve just had a look at that page and would you advise me to put Glasgow as my risky choice?
I’ve just had a look at that page and would you advise me to put Glasgow as my risky choice?

I would not. I would advise you to contact the admissions team and ask whether your BTEC meets the subject requirements for that course. If they tell you that it doesn't, then there's no point applying to them at all.

Don't forget to tell them exactly what BTEC(s) you're taking, and exactly what course you're interested in applying for.
I would not. I would advise you to contact the admissions team and ask whether your BTEC meets the subject requirements for that course. If they tell you that it doesn't, then there's no point applying to them at all.
Don't forget to tell them exactly what BTEC(s) you're taking, and exactly what course you're interested in applying for.

Thank you, you’ve been rlly helpful :smile:
Thank you, you’ve been rlly helpful :smile:

You're most welcome. That's what I'm here for. :smile:

Don't forget to update this thread with what they say (so we can better advise future students with the same question).
So Glasgow emailed back and said ‘We can consider an application to our Human Biology programme with a L3 Extended Diploma in Life Sciences’
So Glasgow emailed back and said ‘We can consider an application to our Human Biology programme with a L3 Extended Diploma in Life Sciences’

OK. Was their Human Biology programme one that you were interested in? Because your original post refers to "medical science/ biomed".
OK. Was their Human Biology programme one that you were interested in? Because your original post refers to "medical science/ biomed".

Tbh I couldn’t see a biomed. Idm either :smile: I don’t think I will take the risk tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending