The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 1 - 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Got 45/4 or 11.25 for shaded region :smile:
Exam was easy overall, but i just couldn't work out question 5)b where you had to find the coordinates of b?? how did everyone do this?
How did you guys find the value of k? (in questions 6 i think) I just guessed and put k=4 :/
Original post by ella-1997
Exam was easy overall, but i just couldn't work out question 5)b where you had to find the coordinates of b?? how did everyone do this?

I put since AB is the diameter, C is the midpoint then worked it out from there
Original post by christineedaley
How did you guys find the value of k? (in questions 6 i think) I just guessed and put k=4 :/

It was +- 4 root 5 I think.
Reply 25
I got 11.25 for the shaded area... Screwed up the circle Q so bad. What did you get for the tangent at A? I think I got 7x-4y+18=0, did it last 5 mins lol

Im pretty sure i used the discriminant (b2- 4ac=0 as it was a tangent and therefore only one solution) and it produced the quadratic equation k^2 + 24 +80 or something along those lines and then just factorised it
I put since AB is the diameter, C is the midpoint then worked it out from there

Oh of course! so annoyed i missed that
Integration = 11.25 (20.25-9)
Surd question = 75-32root(5)
CT = root(81) = 9

Overall, not a hrd paper, but very weired numbers used throughout
Original post by kingowl
I got 11.25 for the shaded area... Screwed up the circle Q so bad. What did you get for the tangent at A? I think I got 7x-4y+18=0, did it last 5 mins lol

I got this but didn't have time to write it in the order they asked, do you think ill lose marks?
Original post by ella-1997
I got this but didn't have time to write it in the order they asked, do you think ill lose marks?

what question?
Reply 31
Messed up the integration but the rest was fine. Looking back at it the question seems so easy >.<
Reply 32
I got 45/4 (which is same as 11.25) in integration part.
I think this paper is ok but I only messed up to m+-square rootn, the midpoint to find B and CT question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
What was the value you got with d2y/dx2 to show it was a minimum ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingowl

Wasn't a too bad paper... Some harder mental maths then usual tho and seemed to be a lot of fractions throughout.. Lots of chances for silly mistakes
Reply 36
OH MY GOSH that was the hardest paper...... it was kindof harder than Past Year Papers.... Can we discuss some stuff here?

1. Question 5b, what was your coordinate of B?

2. For the integration question ( was it Q7? or 8?)
a)what was your x- coordinate for Q?
b)what was your equation for the tangent at P?
c) what was your area under the graph? (referring to the same qn)
Could anyone explain how they got 11.25??

I got 27 - 4.25=22.75 ? Was my first bit wrong ?
Original post by beth000
What was the value you got with d2y/dx2 to show it was a minimum ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

45, but firstly you need to show it is a stationary point b subbing P into dy/dx.
Just the 45 and minimum gets half of the marks
Original post by musslih
OH MY GOSH that was the hardest paper...... it was kindof harder than Past Year Papers.... Can we discuss some stuff here?

1. Question 5b, what was your coordinate of B?

2. For the integration question ( was it Q7? or 8?)
a)what was your x- coordinate for Q?
b)what was your equation for the tangent at P?
c) what was your area under the graph? (referring to the same qn)

i believe b(-3,4)

integration = 20.25
Q = (-5/4 , 0)
Cant remember my P line
Area = 20.25-9 = 11.25

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending