The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C1 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 81
Original post by Jumbo97
meant that there was no need for the quadratic equation and the answer of intersection is integers and not surds- try it...

It was surds.. you must have made a mistake.
I thought that this C1 paper was quite fair. There wasn't anything tremendously hard, compared to some other papers.

Expecting grade boundaries to be very high to be honest.
I got 71/72 in the mocks, and got 100% in a few of the past papers I did, and I was fully expecting to get 100% UMS in this, but I have little confidence that I did now. There was no proof questions like there usually is, and I am good at proofs. In the equation of the circle, I found the midpoint of the line, got the correct left side of the equation, then wrote that the radius was the length of the diameter for some dumbass reason (it was wasn't even the right length, I got root73 instead of root100). So I was left with correct left hand side and wrong right hand side.

I have dyspraxia and find it very hard to accurately draw graphs, so I probably lost 2 or 3 marks from those questions as well.

And the finicky question about "roots" of the equations, I read it as coordinates at first before I checked at the last minute and just scribbled out the Y values.
Original post by Jumbo97
you make x=y-3 and y-3 for the x values in what ever the quadratic equation was to make it a y quadratic equation. You can work out Y and then sub your Y value into either y=x+3 or the the quadratic.

That's what I did, I got something like (1/2,5/2)and(3,5) don't remember exactly though
Original post by greenlimegaming
Ah everything seemed to be perfect until I rechecked Question 10. Appears I have done the circle where AB was the diameter meaning my midpoint and radius was incorrect but i still came out with an equation for the circle. In the subsequent question my tangent would also have been affected as the gradient would've have been the same when getting the perpendicular. How many marks would I have lost? Is there an error carried forward and for the first part where I did A and B midpoint and radius etc. gutted as I need to get near 100UMS in c2 in order to be averaging 80 going into A2 modules. (This was a resit for me)

Can I ask a dumb question? Am I right in thinking that one unit cannot balance out another? For example to get an A overall you need A's (at least) in every module? So if you got a B in any paper it ruins your chance of ever getting an A even if you did brilliantly in all other modules.
Original post by Cybercelt
Can I ask a dumb question? Am I right in thinking that one unit cannot balance out another? For example to get an A overall you need A's (at least) in every module? So if you got a B in any paper it ruins your chance of ever getting an A even if you did brilliantly in all other modules.

No and yes.
All you need to get an A is more than 240ums. It would make sense to get 80ums(A) in all three modules.
However even if you got (lets say) a C in one module which is 60ums, if you get 90ums in the other two ,it would still add up to 240ums which is an A.
Original post by BlakeToad
For the last question I got k= -60/8, anyone else get this? It was B^2-4ac < 0 as it has no real roots. I thought it went pretty well, just one question asked for the coordinates but I only did the x value in the quadratic formula, you was meant to complete the square so you can get the y value apparently.

I got K > 28 and k < -28
Hardest of all other C1. Previous papers didn't have the style of questions which were in this one
Me and everyone one I've spoken to from my college think it was the easiest exam ever... I would expect high grade boundaries
Reply 91
Original post by Dermatome
I thought that this C1 paper was quite fair. There wasn't anything tremendously hard, compared to some other papers.

Expecting grade boundaries to be very high to be honest.

I hate when they do this.., I'd rather spend time thinking harder and getting some stuff wrong than going through it and paying a huge price for a few small mistakes
Reply 93
a was already the subject so i figured you make c the subject. well thats what i did anyway
Original post by DrKillerX
Yes I did get a=-2 c=7 dun rmb the last question tho

Do you remember what the actual question was because i can't remember what answer i put and i don't quite recognise the question's numbers for f(2) = ? and f(-1) = ? like i seem to remember f(2) = 0 but i really can't remember. trying to work it out again to try and retrace my method. other than that and the re-arrangement which my answer doesn't match with on the unofficial mark scheme i think i got everything right. So like most i could lose is 9 marks but maybe much less... hoping for 90 UMS or more which is gonna be like 67/72 usually. i reckon A in this paper will be 61 for some reason. just have a hunch
Original post by the bear
this petition is not for the MEI paper :dontknow:

you realise this petition doesn't mean anything? like a petition for lower boundaries will be ignored. they do boundaries based on statistics and stuff not public demand. considering most people don't get As this would mean every year loads of people could sign a petition for lower boundaries because they found it too hard. And so every year if they listened the boundary would have to be dropped so majority of people get As or whatever. They might as well just ask people what grade they want and write that on the exam certificate. Not to be a douche, but its just the truth....
Original post by Shipreck
I got 71/72 in the mocks, and got 100% in a few of the past papers I did, and I was fully expecting to get 100% UMS in this, but I have little confidence that I did now. There was no proof questions like there usually is, and I am good at proofs. In the equation of the circle, I found the midpoint of the line, got the correct left side of the equation, then wrote that the radius was the length of the diameter for some dumbass reason (it was wasn't even the right length, I got root73 instead of root100). So I was left with correct left hand side and wrong right hand side.

I have dyspraxia and find it very hard to accurately draw graphs, so I probably lost 2 or 3 marks from those questions as well.

And the finicky question about "roots" of the equations, I read it as coordinates at first before I checked at the last minute and just scribbled out the Y values.

I have two words for you: special consideration

i'm going for that too since i have a recently developed problem with my hand making it very hard and painful to write. Literally started up about 3 days ago and I had a history exam after the c1. needless to say it was hell
I thought this paper was the easiest one I've done!! Idk what the fudge you're all talking about
Did anyone get K<-7.5 for the last question..? Or is it just me...
Original post by jaseho98
Did anyone get K<-7.5 for the last question..? Or is it just me...

Yaaaass , I did. Check the unofficial marks scheme on page 3 I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending