The Student Room Group

AQA Core 2 Maths prep. thread (25/05/16)

Scroll to see replies

It was in core 1, with differentiation? Remember, it gave you like a cuboid you had to create a equation from it for volume/surface area
Reply 61
Original post by SunDun111
thanks man, kidna nervous, getting 70's in past papers but always feel like i mess up these exams. In core 1 before the exam i was getting high 60's and low 70's, now i can only count 61 marks, and thats due to absolute mistakes would of easily got 65+ If i didnt mess up that integration question.

I know exactly how you feel! Some people are good at maths but make silly mistakes or do worse under exam conditions. As for the C1 paper i can sooo relate; i love integration but i messed up quite a bit for some annoying reason. The past is the past and core 2 is your future, which you can focus on to improve your marks to bring it back up to an A. Which exam board are you doing? I dont remember ever seeing optimisation in c2 with aqa...
Original post by Rager6amer
I know exactly how you feel! Some people are good at maths but make silly mistakes or do worse under exam conditions. As for the C1 paper i can sooo relate; i love integration but i messed up quite a bit for some annoying reason. The past is the past and core 2 is your future, which you can focus on to improve your marks to bring it back up to an A. Which exam board are you doing? I dont remember ever seeing optimisation in c2 with aqa...

im AQA, but people have told me theres a good chance optimisation is coming up for C2 this year.
Reply 63
im AQA, but people have told me theres a good chance optimisation is coming up for C2 this year.

Oh right well thanks for the heads up, i mean i was surprised it wasnt in c1 so it doesnt surprise but idk i wouldnt have expected it so thanks :smile:
quick question, a question asks me to write the binomial expansion of (1+x)^7 in ascending powers of x up and include the term x^3, hence determine the value of 1.000 01^7 correct to 15 significant figures, what am i supposde to do after i expand?
Reply 65
quick question, a question asks me to write the binomial expansion of (1+x)^7 in ascending powers of x up and include the term x^3, hence determine the value of 1.000 01^7 correct to 15 significant figures, what am i supposde to do after i expand?

Plug x=0.00001 into your expansion

You set the bracket part (in this case 1+x ) equal to 1.00001, by solving that will give you x= 0.00001
After that you simply substitute this value into the general solution you created in the first part of the question , which was your binomial expansion. Plug it all into a calculator and then round to the required amount of significant figures .
People doing AQA tomorrow, what do you think is going to come up?
Original post by RueXO
Finding other values, I sometimes end up missing some of them, and it's not as easy as sine graphs. I don't get when to add 180 or 360, when to take away etc

for cast diagram all u ned to know is

positive solutions:
-Sin(x) you SUBTRACT your answer away from 180 or pi

-Cos(x) you SUBTRACT your answer away from 360 or 2 pi

-Tan(x) you ADD your answer to 180 or pi

negative solutions:
-Sin(x) you ADD your answer to 180 or pi AND for the second solution you SUBTRACT from 360 or 2 pi

-Cos(x) you SUBTRACT your answer from 180 or pi AND for the second solution you ADD to 180 or pi

-Tan(x) you SUBTRACT your answer from 180 or pi AND for the second solution you SUBTRACT your answer from 360 or 2 pi
i have a feeling they may ask us to remember formulas like spheres, cones, prisms etc? I honestly wont be able to remember it if i learn it now? could they ask us about that.
Reply 70
Oh right well thanks for the heads up, i mean i was surprised it wasnt in c1 so it doesnt surprise but idk i wouldnt have expected it so thanks :smile:

I mean, it sort of is in the C2 syllabus given that you do dy/dx and integration in C2. I wouldn't be surprised if it does come up - it'll just be like C1 optimisation but with negative powers, fractional powers and such...
Reply 71
Original post by beanigger
for cast diagram all u ned to know is

positive solutions:
-Sin(x) you SUBTRACT your answer away from 180 or pi

-Cos(x) you SUBTRACT your answer away from 360 or 2 pi

-Tan(x) you ADD your answer to 180 or pi

negative solutions:
-Sin(x) you ADD your answer to 180 or pi AND for the second solution you SUBTRACT from 360 or 2 pi

-Cos(x) you SUBTRACT your answer from 180 or pi AND for the second solution you ADD to 180 or pi

-Tan(x) you SUBTRACT your answer from 180 or pi AND for the second solution you SUBTRACT your answer from 360 or 2 pi

Trying to remember these is confusing. I would rather draw a graph
Reply 72
Original post by InneRs
Trying to remember these is confusing. I would rather draw a graph

Yeah me too it makes much more sense logcially haha :smile:
Anybody know of any shape formulas that aren't in formula booklet that could possibly come up like cyclinders and that, not the traingles, never seen them in past papers, just checking.
Reply 74
Original post by CheaterHater
Anybody know of any shape formulas that aren't in formula booklet that could possibly come up like cyclinders and that, not the traingles, never seen them in past papers, just checking.

you need to know your trapezium formula for a start
you need to know your trapezium formula for a start

In terms of 3D shapes
Reply 76
I think I'm admitting defeat for this exam. I revise everything, yet there is always something I cannot do. The exams are harder this year aswell, judging from Core 1, I'm expecting a super hard exam with 50% being like C-D.
Original post by RueXO
Core 1 was vile. It was absolutely vile.
I can sense c2 being vile too because they changed the structure last year so I'm expecting many 5 markers, an awful q on logs, an awful q on inductive sequences, and tricky numbers to trip people up.
I really struggle with trig, I don't get the CAST diagram, someone please explain it to me😭😭

Wait. Inductive sequences? What do you mean? For C2 (and C1) we have arithmetic sequences and geometric sequences, and we need to know how to play around with those...but what are inductive sequences? Can't find them in the textbook.
(I am doing Edexcel C2 by the way)
Original post by mbb123mbb
Wait. Inductive sequences? What do you mean? For C2 (and C1) we have arithmetic sequences and geometric sequences, and we need to know how to play around with those...but what are inductive sequences? Can't find them in the textbook.
(I am doing Edexcel C2 by the way)
I'm doing AQA, if it's not in your textbook then you probably don't have it in your spec
Got a question

Log (base 3) XY = 5
Log (Base 3) X Multiplied by Log (base 3) Y = 6,

solve the simultaneus equation any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest