The Student Room Group

Can somebody pls help me

Im aware this is unrealistic and it's all wishful thinking but I want straight up answers, as of now I am 17 years old. I am in college studying 3 AS levels (English lit, history and philosophy) and one gcse retake (maths). I'll pass the gcse retake and hopefully English lit and history but not philosophy (believe me when I say im not making this up, I will get a U as I stupidly did not revise). im not content with my current subjects and where they might lead me in the future. I wasn't smart enough to take science (I study in London btw) so I had to foundation science, passed year 10 but failed year 11 as I didn't bother revising, how possible is it if when im 19 years old, I retake gcse maths to go on to higher maths, and retake science gcse so I can then pay to pick up a level sciences so I can study medicine in uni? does uni need a age where you can go btw? is there a limit to what age you can enter or not enter?? but how likely is it, to do gcse and a levels all over again because im just not happy at all, I regret not focusing when I was in year 10/11 as I didn't take it seriously and I blame myself and im aware so pls if you're going to be straightforward don't be too harsh, but im just not happy and if anything I want to change my life around asap, please, I really need help!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by shahdukhh
Im aware this is unrealistic and it's all wishful thinking but I want straight up answers, as of now I am 17 years old. I am in college studying 3 AS levels (English lit, history and philosophy) and one gcse retake (maths). I'll pass the gcse retake and hopefully English lit and history but not philosophy (believe me when I say im not making this up, I will get a U as I stupidly did not revise). im not content with my current subjects and where they might lead me in the future. I wasn't smart enough to take science (I study in London btw) so I had to foundation science, passed year 10 but failed year 11 as I didn't bother revising, how possible is it if when im 19 years old, I retake gcse maths to go on to higher maths, and retake science gcse so I can then pay to pick up a level sciences so I can study medicine in uni? does uni need a age where you can go btw? is there a limit to what age you can enter or not enter?? but how likely is it, to do gcse and a levels all over again because im just not happy at all, I regret not focusing when I was in year 10/11 as I didn't take it seriously and I blame myself and im aware so pls if you're going to be straightforward don't be too harsh, but im just not happy and if anything I want to change my life around asap, please, I really need help!!!!!!!!!!!

You can never be too old for uni. Even 80 year olds go! I suggest you talk to the student support at your college for advice. You can re-take GCSEs at college (again no age limit) in most cases too.
Now is a good time to turn things around so be glad you came around this soon and didn't wait till you're a full blown adult with taxes and debt etc to complicate things.
Reply 2

Morning! You ask some really good questions, and are in a situation that universities come across all the time. The best thing you can do is decide what you want to do and work backwards - you know you want to study medicine, so work out what the entry requirements ask for and fill in the gaps.

Sometimes entry requirements ask for certain GCSEs at certain grades, certain A Levels, or just an overall 'points score' from any subjects, and these vary from course to course and university to university. Sometimes equivalencies are accepted, such as Level 2 Numeracy in place of GCSE Maths, an Access to HE Diploma in a relevant area in place of A Levels etc, but again these vary so it is worth approaching universities that offer medicine to talk about your situation. You can use the course finder on the UCAS site (www.ucas.com) to help locate providers.

It may also be worth looking at foundation degrees and foundation year options too.....

David (Enquiries, Glyndwr University)
I'd agree with above that the first thing you need is a plan that works and you get that by identifying where you want to go and filling in the gaps.
Hang out on the medicine threads if you wnat to do medicine and absorb information so you are fully awate of whats involved and the tragets you need to hit.

You have a more fundamental problem than that though. You need to commit and be realistic. You need to improve your grades and your abilities as a student.
You must change your attitude and approach to studying. You have to get rid of the not smart enough, not bothered and not focusing.
To get good grades you need a mix of natural ability, knowledge, technique and application. Its perfectly possible to improve if you commit and do what it takes.

As for resutting them or changing subjects, thats straightforward. Just go to college if you cant do it at school.

You must change your approach at being a student if you wish to get anywhere. You can make those changes if you want to.
There is nothing wrong with retaking your science GCSE and A-level. However, it might be worth taking a realistic approach to whether you are cut out to do medicine. It is seriously hard work. You have stated twice that you didn't bother to revise in the past. You will be hard pushed to find any medic who has that sort of history. I am not saying you shouldn't or can't do it, just that it might not be the right way for you. I wasn't the biggest swotter when I was at school but scraped though regardless. To have considered something like medicine would have been completely the wrong direction for me. I am not cut out for that level of rigour. That is not to say I am a basket case though. So think carefully about what you want in life. If the answer is to work like smoke, then go for it, but it might be that what you are truly after is something different all together.

Good luck!
Reply 6

For your first step, why not try and relax? I've written a blog on this! Hope it helps :smile: https://adventuringwithlove.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/how-to-relax/
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
There is nothing wrong with retaking your science GCSE and A-level. However, it might be worth taking a realistic approach to whether you are cut out to do medicine. It is seriously hard work. You have stated twice that you didn't bother to revise in the past. You will be hard pushed to find any medic who has that sort of history. I am not saying you shouldn't or can't do it, just that it might not be the right way for you. I wasn't the biggest swotter when I was at school but scraped though regardless. To have considered something like medicine would have been completely the wrong direction for me. I am not cut out for that level of rigour. That is not to say I am a basket case though. So think carefully about what you want in life. If the answer is to work like smoke, then go for it, but it might be that what you are truly after is something different all together.

Good luck!

thank u
Original post by Glyndŵr University
Morning! You ask some really good questions, and are in a situation that universities come across all the time. The best thing you can do is decide what you want to do and work backwards - you know you want to study medicine, so work out what the entry requirements ask for and fill in the gaps.

Sometimes entry requirements ask for certain GCSEs at certain grades, certain A Levels, or just an overall 'points score' from any subjects, and these vary from course to course and university to university. Sometimes equivalencies are accepted, such as Level 2 Numeracy in place of GCSE Maths, an Access to HE Diploma in a relevant area in place of A Levels etc, but again these vary so it is worth approaching universities that offer medicine to talk about your situation. You can use the course finder on the UCAS site (www.ucas.com) to help locate providers.

It may also be worth looking at foundation degrees and foundation year options too.....

David (Enquiries, Glyndwr University)

I'd suggest taking any advice from this particular user with a rather large pinch of salt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending