The Student Room Group

Relationship with parents gone wrong

Hi! I need some advice in trying to help fix of what’s left of my relationship with my dad.

My dad can usually be a nice guy to get along with and I love him.

But! I had a fight with him the other day about how I was stressed about my future when I talked with him. He just laughed and told what I was feeling was stupid. I tried to fight back but he felt so offended and shouted, complaining about how it’s bad for me to talk back to him children should never talk back to their parents as it’s a sign of disrespect and expects me not to treat him that way after all he did for me. My 15 yr old sister tried to help me but she got threatened by my dad that he would kick her out of the house. At that point, he just shouted he didn’t care about me anymore and walked away. In the end, I felt so disrespected as a person and not being able to tell my true feelings that I stopped talking with my dad for a bit. I understand that the situation could have happened due to a generation gap so there can be some differences.

It’s been so awkward the past few days. I feel like this has been one of the worst fights I have ever experienced and as much as I hated him, I still want to keep him in my life and be able to fix our relationship while he’s still alive.

Can anyone help pls?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I need some advice in trying to help fix of what’s left of my relationship with my dad.

But! I had a fight with him the other day about how I was stressed about my future when I talked with him. He just laughed and told what I was feeling was stupid. I tried to fight back but he felt so offended and shouted, complaining about how it’s bad for me to talk back to him children should never talk back to their parents as it’s a sign of disrespect and expects me not to treat him that way after all he did for me. My 15 yr old sister tried to help me but she got threatened by my dad that he would kick her out of the house. At that point, he just shouted he didn’t care about me anymore and walked away. In the end, I felt so disrespected as a person and not being able to tell my true feelings that I stopped talking with my dad for a bit. I understand that the situation could have happened due to a generation gap so there can be some differences.

It’s been so awkward the past few days. I feel like this has been one of the worst fights I have ever experienced and as much as I hated him, I still want to keep him in my life and be able to fix our relationship while he’s still alive.

Can anyone help pls?

That's so lovely to hear you want to reunite with your father again. The simplest thing you can do is to have a conversation with him. Just request him to bypass whatever happened and you feel apologetic for whatever you did whether it was intentionally or unintentionally. Also, don't forget to explain what you were thinking at that point when the incident occurred. When you express your feelings properly, he'll definitely try to comprehend the situation.

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Can anyone help pls?

He made it clear to you that your feelings do not matter to him. Somebody like that does not change. With people like him, so long as you are catering to his whims, you get along just fine, but as soon as he is reminded that you have needs too, he lashes out like a spoiled child. You may try for years to "fix" things, but you may well realise over time that he cannot be fixed. From there on, it becomes a matter of how willing you are to continue putting up with him. Often this results in very limited/low contact, and in the worst case scenario, no contact.
Jut because he's your Dad doesn't mean he's not a plank sometimes or has decent emotional intelligence.

As above, talking to him is the best way to smooth things over, but he's unlikely to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending