The Student Room Group

dying natural hair blonde

I want to dye my natural hair blonde. my hair is naturally very thick and I’d say I have very tight curls maybe 4a/4b at a stretch
I’m thinking of getting a blonde balayage but I still can’t pick between doing that or just dying my whole head blonde
pls help me choose
also If I dye my hair would I have to dye my eyebrows too as I have very dark brownish black hair
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
I'd recommend speaking to somebody who has dyed their hair blonde. (I'm aware this isn't very helpful)
Reply 2
You are best to speak with a professional.

You can't necessarily just 'dye' dark hair blonde, you may need more steps to bleach it and add colour.
Reply 3
I would speak to a good hairdresser. I don't think it necessarily matters if your eyebrows are dark. You could consider shaping them a bit. You could start gradually with going lighter with the hair and build up.

Take pictures of the shade you want so that your hairdresser knows what you want.

Bear in mind your roots will need regular touching up if you are naturally very dark.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
I took me alot of bleaching to achieve the colour I wanted
Reply 5
I would probably go for highlights as you will have dark roots very quickly with a full head being bleached. On top of that very thick curly hair tends to be on the dry side so bleaching the whole head will dry it out even more and damage it. Speak to a good hair dresser first.
Balayage would be easier to maintain. You don't need to worry about regrowth. This means you won't need to bleach/tone/dye it is as often, which will result in healthier hair overall. Also keep in mind that bleach can impact your curls.

You don't need to do anything with your eyebrows. Although, in saying that, I've platinum blond hair and actually get my eyebrows tinted darker. :lol:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by michaela002
I want to dye my natural hair blonde. my hair is naturally very thick and I’d say I have very tight curls maybe 4a/4b at a stretch
I’m thinking of getting a blonde balayage but I still can’t pick between doing that or just dying my whole head blonde
pls help me choose
also If I dye my hair would I have to dye my eyebrows too as I have very dark brownish black hair

I agree highlights or balayage are the way to go.Also go somewhere reputable.I have very dark hair with red tones in it.I have platinum highlights but had lots of mistakes as a younger person which resulted in orange or yellow hair!Needs roots done every nine weeks or so if I want to keep it very blonde.

Quick Reply

Latest