The Student Room Group

Economics Degree Requirements

I have a genuine interest in Economics, I've been following it for a while, reading lots of news about it all and trying to find and teach myself parts of economics online, but my Maths is not the strongest. I'm a B student at GCSE, maybe a C+, and I don't know if this is adequate for Econ. Because of my lack of talent in Maths, i dont think it would be smart to take it for A Level as i probably won't achieve high grades in it.
Can i still get into a Uni and study Econ? I understand top Unis such as Oxford and LSE etc require an A Level, but are there any decent Unis where i can get away without a Maths A Level. I feel like i can put the work in and understand the Econ maths, but Im still on the fence on taking a maths A level.
After that rambling, what Im trying to ask is
Should i take Maths at A level despite my lack of confidence?
Is there any decent Unis where i can study Econ without a maths A level?
Does Uni reputation matter a lot when trying to get into a Econ field of work?
Reply 1
Lancaster, Queen's University Belfast (A in GCSE maths), Manchester (BA), Loughborough and St. Andrews are universities that do not require A-level maths, and I'm sure there are a few more.
In reality A-level maths will be a huge help to your application and opens more doors to which university you can study economics at. A lot of the very top universities will expect further maths also.

Edit: For IB, university prestige is a big factor in your application. For example, a history grad from Oxford is more likely to get into IB than an econ grad from a poor or non-target university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cnutuk
Lancaster, Queen's University Belfast (A in GCSE maths), Manchester (BA), Loughborough and St. Andrews are universities that do not require A-level maths, and I'm sure there are a few more.
In reality A-level maths will be a huge help to your application and opens more doors to which university you can study economics at. A lot of the very top universities will expect further maths also.

Edit: For IB, university prestige is a big factor in your application. For example, a history grad from Oxford is more likely to get into IB than an econ grad from a poor or non-target university.

Thanks for your help. Would you recommend any other A Level courses that a Uni might like?
Im thinking of taking Econ, History, Politics and Business
So is History a well respected degree in Investment Banking?
Original post by LuckiSingh
I have a genuine interest in Economics, I've been following it for a while, reading lots of news about it all and trying to find and teach myself parts of economics online, but my Maths is not the strongest. I'm a B student at GCSE, maybe a C+, and I don't know if this is adequate for Econ. Because of my lack of talent in Maths, i dont think it would be smart to take it for A Level as i probably won't achieve high grades in it.
Can i still get into a Uni and study Econ? I understand top Unis such as Oxford and LSE etc require an A Level, but are there any decent Unis where i can get away without a Maths A Level. I feel like i can put the work in and understand the Econ maths, but Im still on the fence on taking a maths A level.
After that rambling, what Im trying to ask is
Should i take Maths at A level despite my lack of confidence?
Is there any decent Unis where i can study Econ without a maths A level?
Does Uni reputation matter a lot when trying to get into a Econ field of work?

Nottingham, I believe, accept applications from people without Maths A-Level. I was considering Economics but I don't take Maths, either. Why don't you look into courses such as UCL's HPE (History, Politics and Economics) instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Edminzodo
Nottingham, I believe, accept applications from people without Maths A-Level. I was considering Economics but I don't take Maths, either. Why don't you look into courses such as UCL's HPE (History, Politics and Economics) instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can HPL lead to jobs in Economics, or do they lead to a lot more specific jobs? Also, thanks for your help!
Can HPL lead to jobs in Economics, or do they lead to a lot more specific jobs? Also, thanks for your help!

Well, it's a new degree so you'd have to see what the first lot of graduates end up doing. They recommend Maths but it's not an absolute condition, so with good grades and a good Personal Statement you may be fine. Be aware that some economics related jobs require certain internships throughout your degree to secure jobs at the end. And this specific degree is run by the Scandanavian Studies department, so be sure that it would interest you in the History and Politics side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Well, it's a new degree so you'd have to see what the first lot of graduates end up doing. They recommend Maths but it's not an absolute condition, so with good grades and a good Personal Statement you may be fine. Be aware that some economics related jobs require certain internships throughout your degree to secure jobs at the end. And this specific degree is run by the Scandanavian Studies department, so be sure that it would interest you in the History and Politics side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! History is one of my strong points as I'm currently an A-A* in it right now!
Thanks for your help! History is one of my strong points as I'm currently an A-A* in it right now!

Here's the link to the degree course - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/history-politics-economics-ba/

As you can see, it says 'Mathematics preferred'. If you can stick out the AS, that would be great, and maybe replace it with an EPQ in Y13. Maybe speak to a teacher or someone at school about your A-Level choices, what are you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Here's the link to the degree course - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/history-politics-economics-ba/

As you can see, it says 'Mathematics preferred'. If you can stick out the AS, that would be great, and maybe replace it with an EPQ in Y13. Maybe speak to a teacher or someone at school about your A-Level choices, what are you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment I'm going to take Economics, History, Politics and Business (these were picked before I knew HPE was a degree) Do you recommend any changes to improve chances of getting into HPE?
After reading a lot into it, I think this is definitely what I want to go into, thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated. Now I just need so top grades and a good Personal Statement and i hope UCL take me on haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
At the moment I'm going to take Economics, History, Politics and Business (these were picked before I knew HPE was a degree) Do you recommend any changes to improve chances of getting into HPE?
After reading a lot into it, I think this is definitely what I want to go into, thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated. Now I just need so top grades and a good Personal Statement and i hope UCL take me on haha.

The best advice I can offer you is not to take Economics AND Business. Take Economics, it's more highly regarded and probably more useful. Facilitating subjects (see below) are the best for applications to top universities. Instead of Business, take Maths. If you hate it then you can swap it for something else, but then you may need to reconsider HPE, perhaps just applying for History and Politics, or Economic History. Remember that degree level economics contains a lot of Maths.

UCL does accept Business as an A-Level (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/requirements/preferred-a-level-subjects) but HPE is a competitive course and I think you'd need Maths in order to stand the best chance. Good luck, and feel free to ask me any more questions if you need to!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks for your help. Would you recommend any other A Level courses that a Uni might like?
Im thinking of taking Econ, History, Politics and Business
So is History a well respected degree in Investment Banking?

History from Oxbridge, yes. History from a bottom tier RG university, no. That being said, networking and experience both play a huge part of getting into IB.

Economics and history are both strong subjects. Business and politics would be a little bit softer. Unis may not like economics and business both being offered, due to their similarities.
If you're dead set on economics, you could pick three strong subjects (history, economics, possibly a language) and also take maths for your fourth subject. Work really hard at the maths too. If you find out you just can't make the cut, then you can always drop it. But take what I say with a pinch of salt. I was in your predicament myself, and now I wish that I had at least attempted maths.
Reply 11
The best advice I can offer you is not to take Economics AND Business. Take Economics, it's more highly regarded and probably more useful. Facilitating subjects (see below) are the best for applications to top universities. Instead of Business, take Maths. If you hate it then you can swap it for something else, but then you may need to reconsider HPE, perhaps just applying for History and Politics, or Economic History. Remember that degree level economics contains a lot of Maths.

UCL does accept Business as an A-Level (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/requirements/preferred-a-level-subjects) but HPE is a competitive course and I think you'd need Maths in order to stand the best chance. Good luck, and feel free to ask me any more questions if you need to!

Spoiler

You've been great help!
I think I'm going to at least attempt to do Maths, at least then I can see if Im able to keep up or not and if I can't keep up I can just drop it in my second year. I have to be careful though, the college I'm going to attended have a lot of students who leave in their second year because they can't keep up with grades :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending