The Student Room Group

Eu: In or out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plstudent
Not even Americans need visas to travel to Europe. Not even Argentinians to the UK...

Going on holiday and being able to live and work somewhere without a visa are two entirely different things.

Once again, people from Switzerland, Norway and many other countries travel easily to the EU.

I think it is apparent why many people back remain: ignorance and fear of uncertainty.

Ignorance, do you mean like ignorance to the fact that Norway follows most EU laws in order to gain access to the single market? Both of the above have free movement of peoples for the same reason.
Reply 201
Original post by JamesN88
Going on holiday and being able to live and work somewhere without a visa are two entirely different things.

Ignorance, do you mean like ignorance to the fact that Norway follows most EU laws in order to gain access to the single market? Both of the above have free movement of peoples for the same reason.

9% is now a majority?
No, you can't just move anywhere, anymore than you can't just live in any house in the world.

If we leave the EU, then, no, we can't. I don't understand this. Of course we can't live anywhere in the world because in other places there are strict visa laws. However, movement in the EU is easy and free of visas. So, yes, you could live in any house in any country in the EU, obviously if you had the money and a job.

And where do you want to deport them to, genius? The UK needs as few parasites as possible. I am also in favor of limiting the amount of benefits available

Read my comment properly. I didn't say that I wanted to deport them. I said, using your logic about that Romanian family scrounging benefits and wanting them to be deported, that British people do it far more than people from EU countries. So, with your logic, then the British people should be deported too. The only difference is that they are British and the Romanians are European.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Load of rubbish.

1. Staying in the EU enables the Trans Pacific Partnership to make corporations eligible for compensation if UK Government re-nationalizes elements of the NHS away from the current clinical commissioning group set up.

2. Staying in the EU puts our economy at risk due to the huge quantitative easing money printing operations the EU has been doing which is similar to the USA and Japan. This has been causing huge inflation in the stock market, rock bottom interest rates which causes deflation and the product of this is a bubble which keeps on growing until it bursts!

And then you get a horrible decline which happens so fast you only know about it till its too late. Italy, Argentina, Germany and Zimbabwe have all been though this before.

3. Staying in the EU puts our national security at risk because there is a never ending stream of terrorists who hide amongst genuine refugees. These refugees movements are from the middle east who will gain access though Turkey and a never ending stream of refugees from africa who gain access though Italy.

4. Staying in the EU encourages crony capitalism and enables inefficient corporations to keep a float by the use of trade tariffs. The rest of the world are more productive and more efficient. Products from China are cheaper and better quality. Its about time we put a end to the zombie life line machine and started trading with the rest of the world.

This will increase British living standards and lower the cost of living.

5. The EU is putting Britain's energy security at risk by constantly enlarging and provoking Russia. Britain depends on Russia for the majority of its Gas imports. The last thing we need is Russia deciding to cut off the pipeline. We need to reduce all risks that pose a threat to energy price rises.

I'd be on three weeks arguing with all of these points. But point 3 is what annoys me the most about the leave campaign. That is absolute ignorance. That's just like saying all Muslims are terrorists or something similar. Just because a few EU 'immigrants' are terrorists, doesn't mean that we should stop them all entering. Just like I've said, immigration laws are not going to change if we leave the EU, besides stopping EU people entering. We'll still have terrorists slipping through. We always have.
Reply 204
You have to be quite retrograde and ignorant to vote out. The EU is a unifying organisation and even though it is going through an internal crisis due to the refugee crisis and the economic issues taking place in some Euro countries such as Spain or Greece are striking other countries' economies, it will have a long-term impact on the UK economy because it is constantly coming up with trade agreements that the UK would need to re-negotiate if it leaves the EU.

On a completely different note, I firmly believe that blaming immigrants is not the best course of action because they can provide us with skills that the country lacks, such as language skills. The USA, the most powerful country in the entire world, was built by immigrants from other parts of the world, something that political parties such as UKIP constantly disregard.
Reply 205
Original post by Save.Me
I'd be on three weeks arguing with all of these points. But point 3 is what annoys me the most about the leave campaign. That is absolute ignorance. That's just like saying all Muslims are terrorists or something similar. Just because a few EU 'immigrants' are terrorists, doesn't mean that we should stop them all entering. Just like I've said, immigration laws are not going to change if we leave the EU, besides stopping EU people entering. We'll still have terrorists slipping through. We always have.

''EU immigrants are rapists/terrorists'', ''The UK's full of immigrants, we need to kick them out''

How many terrorist attacks have there been in the last 10 years in the United Kingdom?
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
What exactly do you expect from us? Negotiations can't begin until after we have withdrawn. When we joined the union did people complain that 'we couldn't possibly know what it would be like when we were in it'? Probably, we still took the risk anyway.

We can at least discuss possible negotiations with countries that we might want trade deals with. There's nothing stopping UKIP representatives from chatting to members of the Chinese or Indian governments and discussing what kind of trade deals we can expect.

Until OUT supporters start being more active and actually show evidence proving that Britain can succeed without the EU, I'm voting IN.
ISIS are already in the UK, if we leave and lose allies then we'll be their target as they've always wanted, they've been edging their way over to the UK for months
Load of rubbish.

1. Staying in the EU enables the Trans Pacific Partnership to make corporations eligible for compensation if UK Government re-nationalizes elements of the NHS away from the current clinical commissioning group set up.

2. Staying in the EU puts our economy at risk due to the huge quantitative easing money printing operations the EU has been doing which is similar to the USA and Japan. This has been causing huge inflation in the stock market, rock bottom interest rates which causes deflation and the product of this is a bubble which keeps on growing until it bursts!

And then you get a horrible decline which happens so fast you only know about it till its too late. Italy, Argentina, Germany and Zimbabwe have all been though this before.

3. Staying in the EU puts our national security at risk because there is a never ending stream of terrorists who hide amongst genuine refugees. These refugees movements are from the middle east who will gain access though Turkey and a never ending stream of refugees from africa who gain access though Italy.

4. Staying in the EU encourages crony capitalism and enables inefficient corporations to keep a float by the use of trade tariffs. The rest of the world are more productive and more efficient. Products from China are cheaper and better quality. Its about time we put a end to the zombie life line machine and started trading with the rest of the world.

This will increase British living standards and lower the cost of living.

5. The EU is putting Britain's energy security at risk by constantly enlarging and provoking Russia. Britain depends on Russia for the majority of its Gas imports. The last thing we need is Russia deciding to cut off the pipeline. We need to reduce all risks that pose a threat to energy price rises.

1. Umm, what? TPP is a trade deal between Pacific Rim countries. The EU has nothing to do with it... Either way, are you against companies being compensated for having their assets taken off them? They paid a great deal of money for NHS assets. We can't just take the NHS back without giving them at least something for their trouble.

2. This doesn't really affect us afaik. We're not part of the Eurozone. And it could work out for the better according to some reports; though yes, there is a high risk involved.

3. Umm, there hasn't been any major terrorist attacks in the UK for years, so where's this coming from?...

4. Products from China are cheaper because they pay their workers in stale bread and muddy water. Okay, maybe that's an overexaggeration, but we certainly shouldn't be praising them for selling cheap products because the way that they manage to sell their products so cheaply is because their human rights laws are horrible. I do think trade tarrifs need to either stop or be lowered though. Global competition can be healthy, so we shouldn't be trying so hard to disable it. On the other hand, the EU also needs to keep working to prevent monopolies because monopolies most certainly are not desirable, especially when they're instigated by foreign companies who will then have frighteningly considerable global influence.

5. The EU is provoking Russia because Russia's run by a tyrant, and the Russian people are oppressed. It disgusts me that we're not taking more action against Russia, and that we're trying so hard to be nice to the Russian government. If oil prices have to rise for a while, and we get inconvenienced for a while, because we provoke Russia too much, then so be it. Russia needs to be provoked.
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Exactly, so vote Leave so we can start focusing on the world and international trade outside of the declining area known as Europe.

I don't get why being in Europe limits trade outside of Europe?
And where do you want to deport them to, genius? The UK needs as few parasites as possible. I am also in favor of limiting the amount of benefits available

If you don't want 'parasites', then the country has to invest in a decent education system, social support, and changes to social structure which makes parenting more important and valued. Limiting benefits does nothing to help people make themselves productive individuals.
I just can't wait for all this drama to be over and done with.
Original post by Jazzyboy
1. Umm, what? TPP is a trade deal between Pacific Rim countries. The EU has nothing to do with it... Either way, are you against companies being compensated for having their assets taken off them? They paid a great deal of money for NHS assets. We can't just take the NHS back without giving them at least something for their trouble.

2. This doesn't really affect us afaik. We're not part of the Eurozone. And it could work out for the better according to some reports; though yes, there is a high risk involved.

3. Umm, there hasn't been any major terrorist attacks in the UK for years, so where's this coming from?...

4. Products from China are cheaper because they pay their workers in stale bread and muddy water. Okay, maybe that's an overexaggeration, but we certainly shouldn't be praising them for selling cheap products because the way that they manage to sell their products so cheaply is because their human rights laws are horrible. I do think trade tarrifs need to either stop or be lowered though. Global competition can be healthy, so we shouldn't be trying so hard to disable it. On the other hand, the EU also needs to keep working to prevent monopolies because monopolies most certainly are not desirable, especially when they're instigated by foreign companies who will then have frighteningly considerable global influence.

5. The EU is provoking Russia because Russia's run by a tyrant, and the Russian people are oppressed. It disgusts me that we're not taking more action against Russia, and that we're trying so hard to be nice to the Russian government. If oil prices have to rise for a while, and we get inconvenienced for a while, because we provoke Russia too much, then so be it. Russia needs to be provoked.

1. The TTP is all about protecting businesses revenue not assets. For example if the NHS was re-nationalized the companies can keep their assets they just wouldn't get the contracts. Because they lose the next on going contract they lose money. So the TTP gives them compensation on lost revenue.

That is why we should vote out. We shouldn't reward cry baby crony capitalists that do a rubbish job.

2. It will effect us when the Eurozone start demanding bail out packages.

3. No major terrorist attacks in the UK for years? Lee Rigby anyone?

4. China doesn't feed their workers on gruel. Even workers at Foxconn have a decent diet. Food in China is extremely cheap. They can have noodles, tofu, fish, pork and my favourite hotpot!

5. Russia is ran by a Christian man who has propaganda spread about him 24/7 by the western media. In the last 5 years Russia has took actions to protect its citizens. That is why Ukraine was invaded. The place was in civil war and someone had to step in to protect the Russian speaking people there. Russia did what any other country would have done just like Britain dealt with the trouble in Northern Ireland what it first broke out.

Russia knows what the EU is turning into because they use to be the Soviet Union and the increased hostility & tension is the reason why Russia has been doing its patrols since the Cold War.
Original post by Save.Me

I ask you, have you ever met or interacted with extremists? If so, do you notice any tendencies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
I ask you, have you ever met or interacted with extremists? If so, do you notice any tendencies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't get it...What does this have to do with anything?
1. The TTP is all about protecting businesses revenue not assets. For example if the NHS was re-nationalized the companies can keep their assets they just wouldn't get the contracts. Because they lose the next on going contract they lose money. So the TTP gives them compensation on lost revenue.

That is why we should vote out. We shouldn't reward cry baby crony capitalists that do a rubbish job.

2. It will effect us when the Eurozone start demanding bail out packages.

3. No major terrorist attacks in the UK for years? Lee Rigby anyone?

4. China doesn't feed their workers on gruel. Even workers at Foxconn have a decent diet. Food in China is extremely cheap. They can have noodles, tofu, fish, pork and my favourite hotpot!

5. Russia is ran by a Christian man who has propaganda spread about him 24/7 by the western media. In the last 5 years Russia has took actions to protect its citizens. That is why Ukraine was invaded. The place was in civil war and someone had to step in to protect the Russian speaking people there. Russia did what any other country would have done just like Britain dealt with the trouble in Northern Ireland what it first broke out.

Russia knows what the EU is turning into because they use to be the Soviet Union and the increased hostility & tension is the reason why Russia has been doing its patrols since the Cold War.

Honestly point three is just a stupid, uneducated thing that leavers always throw out there. How exactly is leaving the EU going to abolish terrorist attacks altogether? It isn't like we're constantly plagued with attacks or anything. They are very rare in our country.
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Exactly, so vote Leave so we can start focusing on the world and international trade outside of the declining area known as Europe.

Yes. There are far more countries not in the EU than in it. We can trade with everyone,just like we have done for centuries.
I would like to see us leave but I just can't see it happening. If there IS a majority leave vote I can envisage the Government just deciding to hold another Referendum in a year's time, just like the Irish Government did, until they get the vote they want.
Original post by Save.Me
I don't get it...What does this have to do with anything?

People always make this statement: either everyone of a certain group is an extremist, or no one in that certain group of people is an extremist. People always ignores the tendencies.

Yes, there are plenty of genuine refugees, but immigrants from that area have a higher tendency of being extremist.

And again, do you know what's it like interacting with extremists? I do, with my plenty of experience on line. It isn't pleasant, especially when I don't think I'd be safe around them; especially when I think they wouldn't hesitate to attack me if they had the chance.

I've interacted with all kinds of extremists, but some appear more often than others; please don't trivialise that fact.
Original post by XcitingStuart
People always make this statement: either everyone of a certain group is an extremist, or no one in that certain group of people is an extremist. People always ignores the tendencies.

Yes, there are plenty of genuine refugees, but immigrants from that area have a higher tendency of being extremist.

And again, do you know what's it like interacting with extremists? I do, with my plenty of experience on line. It isn't pleasant, especially when I don't think I'd be safe around them; especially when I think they wouldn't hesitate to attack me if they had the chance.

I've interacted with all kinds of extremists, but some appear more often than others; please don't trivialise that fact.

I still don't get what this has to do with anything? I get that some migrants are terrorists, but the vast majority of them are not. It isn't as if the UK has a massive problem with terrorism at the moment. There aren't terrorist attacks happening everyday or anything, there haven't been any in ages. So why do people insist on saying that if we leave the EU terrorism will all stop? There isn't any hard terrorism to begin with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending