The Student Room Group

GCSE's?

Hello, for universities like: Uni of East Anglia, Uni College London, Mancheter, bath, Bristol and Birmingham what kind of GCSE's will you need? If anyone is a student of one of these universities please help me out thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zXcodeXz
Hello, for universities like: Uni of East Anglia, Uni College London, Mancheter, bath, Bristol and Birmingham why kind of GCSE's will you need? If anyone is a student of one of these universities please help me out thanks!

what subject?

I had offers for uni of birmingham and uni of bristol with all C's at GCSE (didnt apply to the others)
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
what subject?

I had offers for uni of birmingham and uni of bristol with all C's at GCSE (didnt apply to the others)

What course was it for?
Original post by Rajive
I hat course was it for?

Physics
Reply 4
Physics

Congrats on your offer
Original post by Rajive
Congrats on your offer

Thanks but I applied last year, going into second year after summer :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hello, for universities like: Uni of East Anglia, Uni College London, Mancheter, bath, Bristol and Birmingham why kind of GCSE's will you need? If anyone is a student of one of these universities please help me out thanks!

I applied to UEA, UCL and Bath out of these for physical natural sciences but i applied with majority A*s. I know UCL definitely values high GCSE grades for the more competitive courses. When I went to a bath summer school before applying I actually go on the programme largely based on my GCSEs anyway, once there they said GCSEs strengthen your application as they show how you perform when you're faced with a variety of modules.

For the record I got offers from Bath and UCL without interview and an interview from UEA however I withdrew my application from there as I really could not be bothered to take a 4 hour train just to be interviewed at UEA (no offence to the uni lol).

Your grades might well put you in a position where they'll give you an offer without being interviewed as I was lucky enough to get. However for Birmingham my friends applied with mostly As and Bs and all got offers.
what subject?

I want to do either normal BSc Physics or some sort of Engineering
Original post by rxns_00
I applied to UEA, UCL and Bath out of these for physical natural sciences but i applied with majority A*s. I know UCL definitely values high GCSE grades for the more competitive courses. When I went to a bath summer school before applying I actually go on the programme largely based on my GCSEs anyway, once there they said GCSEs strengthen your application as they show how you perform when you're faced with a variety of modules.

For the record I got offers from Bath and UCL without interview and an interview from UEA however I withdrew my application from there as I really could not be bothered to take a 4 hour train just to be interviewed at UEA (no offence to the uni lol).

Your grades might well put you in a position where they'll give you an offer without being interviewed as I was lucky enough to get. However for Birmingham my friends applied with mostly As and Bs and all got offers.

Oh ok thanks, because I think I'll get A's and B's at GCSE but I'm going aim extremely high for A-Levels at 4A*'s, where do you think this will get me in?
As and Bs at GCSE might rule out UCL, but they should be on track for average-slightly below for the others.
Original post by rxns_00

What course did your friend apply to at Birmingham? I'm think about Physics or Chemical Engineering
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
As and Bs at GCSE might rule out UCL, but they should be on track for average-slightly below for the others.

Like which ones?

Completely depends on the subject, for physics they would be fine as long as you hot good AS results as I have a friend at UCL doing physics with As and Bs

People on tsr put way too emphasis on GCSEs the only ones where it really matters is Durham Oxford and imperial (though I did get an offer for Durham but don't ask me how aha)
(edited 7 years ago)
Completely depends on the subject, for physics they would be fine as long as you hot good AS results as I have a friend at UCL doing physics with As and Bs

People on tsr put way too emphasis on GCSEs the only ones where it really matters is Durham Oxford and imperial (though I did get an offer for Durham but don't ask me how aha)

What were your GCSE's like?
Like which ones?

Bath, Nottingham, Exeter and unis like that. The average there is probably 3A*s, 5As and a couple Bs
Bath, Nottingham, Exeter and unis like that. The average there is probably 3A*s, 5As and a couple Bs

For the uni' that you listed?
What were your GCSE's like?

Just had a check 10 Cs 1 B
Just had a check 10 Cs 1 B

Ok, what university do you go to and for what course?
Ok, what university do you go to and for what course?

I go to Leeds (though I did meet the entry requirement for Durham and everywhere I applied too, i just didn't like the place) and study theoretical physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, for universities like: Uni of East Anglia, Uni College London, Mancheter, bath, Bristol and Birmingham what kind of GCSE's will you need? If anyone is a student of one of these universities please help me out thanks!

Only oxbridge care about GCSEs. As long as your PS is good and Predictions good, then you're fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending