The Student Room Group

Can you get into Oxford/Cambridge if you fail a non-essential gcse?

This might be a silly question but oh well. I picked Computer Science and I despise it and have no motivation to revise for it at all. I’m also pretty bad at it. Would a Russel Group/Oxford and Cambridge accept me if I failed the subject at gcse level but got 8s/9s in all my other subjects? What about if I got a grade 4 and the rest 8s/9s? I would be applying for law or a science subject and obviously only if my a-levels are A/A*. I’d also still have the same amount of gcses as most people, because I took an extra gcse. Can I fail it or get a low pass without stressing about my future?
Original post by y.ab
This might be a silly question but oh well. I picked Computer Science and I despise it and have no motivation to revise for it at all. I’m also pretty bad at it. Would a Russel Group/Oxford and Cambridge accept me if I failed the subject at gcse level but got 8s/9s in all my other subjects? What about if I got a grade 4 and the rest 8s/9s? I would be applying for law or a science subject and obviously only if my a-levels are A/A*. I’d also still have the same amount of gcses as most people, because I took an extra gcse. Can I fail it or get a low pass without stressing about my future?

Neither Oxford nor Cambridge (nor any of the Russell Group universities) are expecting to see a flawless academic regard without a single GCSE below a grade 8/9. If you have, as you say, "a grade 4 and the rest 8s/9s" you'll be absolutely fine from a GCSE perspective.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Neither Oxford nor Cambridge (nor any of the Russell Group universities) are expecting to see a flawless academic regard without a single GCSE below a grade 8/9. If you have, as you say, "a grade 4 and the rest 8s/9s" you'll be absolutely fine from a GCSE perspective.

Okay thank you, but what if I don’t even get a grade 4 and fail that single subject?
Original post by y.ab
Okay thank you, but what if I don’t even get a grade 4 and fail that single subject?

The same applies. One failed/poor GCSE is not going to derail your application.

Here's what each uni says about GCSEs:

Oxford
"...successful applicants typically have a high proportion of 7,8 and 9 grades" (source)
"Our average applicant has 75% of GCSE grades at grades 9 or 8 (or A*) and 7.5 grades at grades 9 or 8 (or A*)" - Medical Sciences Division (source)
"We do look at the proportion of 8/9/A* you've achieved at GCSE (where applicable) as part of your overall academic achievement on your UCAS form." - Mathematical Institute (source)

Cambridge
"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved." (source)
Also see the "GCSE A* Count", "GCSE A Count", and "GCSE Other Count" columns of this Freedom of Information request covering Natural Science applicants and offer holders. Just glancing down the first page I can see several offer-holders with multiple GCSEs in the "other" (i..e not A* or A) column.

Quick Reply

Latest