The Student Room Group

UK faith schools teaching women must obey men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reaver Daniels
Brainwashing is a little far. I went to one these private faith schools I was raised in a Christian family etc etc.

I'm an agnostic, but I can confidently say that the independent is really over exaggerating this.

At the ACE school I attended before moving to sixth form we had atheists, Christians, agnostics, feminists, liberals, conservatives etc etc. people from all different backgrounds and it prepared me very well for sixth form and I plan to go on to university as I'm predicted As in my AS Levels at the moment.

The textbooks, tbh, did have some very religious views, but they weren't indoctrinating. The science wasn't brilliant in the textbooks, but they taught us additional science in class setups in the afternoons and I'm quite sure (like myself) my friends there believe the earth is 4.543 billion years old as opposed to 6000. 😂 Everyone from my school was extremely confident and we all did public speaking and I've spoken in parliament before.

They really do over exaggerate, but I do agree the science side of it needs reform.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I said brainwashing, I had in mind Jewish and Islamic schools that have closed down in recent years because they are teaching the kids religion and nothing but.

Examples:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24360100

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/charedi-talmud-torah-tashbar-stamford-hill-jewish-school-that-does-not-teach-english-ordered-to-a6813041.html
Original post by Ravenous

What's your view on faith schools?

they should have no place in modern society.
Shamefully, UK isn't a secular country (yet) :/
At the ACE school I attended before moving to sixth form we had atheists, Christians, agnostics, feminists, liberals, conservatives etc etc. people from all different backgrounds and it prepared me very well for sixth form and I plan to go on to university as I'm predicted As in my AS Levels at the moment.

I went to a Catholic school, but I don't remember coming across any atheists. I'm assuming that their parents were at least Biblical literalists?
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think faith schools should exist. Parents can send their kids to religious programmes outside of school but every child should go to a school with a completely secular curriculum.

I think it's so important that children are given the freedom to argue religious laws they don't agree with.
I'm looking to open a Pastafarian faith school if anyone is interested
Original post by chemting
I'm looking to open a Pastafarian faith school if anyone is interested

:biggrin:
Greatly against the idea of any faith school, public or privately funded
No not really. My school were welcoming of all beliefs.

Interesting. I couldn't imagine parents sending their kids to an ACE school. So the parents are fully aware that the curriculum entails learning about YEC, but they are fine with that?
I think we should get rid of faith schools, especially those that are (and I think most are) funded by the tax payer. Why should the Government give handouts to such institutions that religiously indoctrinate young students, and teach things that contradict British values?
Men and women are equal. Homosexuality is natural. Creationism is a fairy-tale.

Both public and private schools should be secular and fundamentally atheist and should teach non-biased, scientific views in History, Biology, Philosophy and Ethics. Religious schools of any denominations and of all religions should be closed, prohibited from being opened again and paths to any kind of religious office should only be held within religious institutions of those religions.

We need to end the idea of religion having to do anything with standard education. It's harmful to women, harmful to the LGBTQ community and harmful to modern science and moral secularism. Religion has no place in schools. Religion has no place in classrooms. Religion has no place in politics. Religion has no place in public spaces. Religion has no place in the modern world.
Reply 30
Define problematic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something Communist scum need to erase from history because it doesn't suit their emotion driven agenda.

By the way, I am extremely glad there are some Christians with enough balls to teach their daughters worthwhile moral standards.

NO ONE WORTHWHILE MARRIES A FEMINIST.
Close them down.

Wrong. Schools inherently operate an ideological state apparatus but religious agenda just makes this worse.
Reply 33
I went to Catholic school, primary and secondary. The sex ed was horrendous, we were told gay marriage was illegal, being gay was immoral, no sex before marriage, no use of contraception, abortion is wrong etc etc.

It was a school that accepted people of all faiths (according to the school's aims) but only accepted its first non-Catholic, non-Christian even, when I was in my A2 year last year. A Hindu kid who legit asked my Religious Studies teacher 'is everything in the Da Vinci Code real?'

Least to say, the poor kid left RE class disappointed when he was told it wasn't. :laugh:

I'm not against faith schools, but I think they need to respect other religions and actually teach stuff about other religions, be informative. I'm a lapsed Catholic, I border on being Atheist, and all my information about other religions comes from reading about it myself. We briefly did the other forms of Christianity in third year, I believe, but that is all. We briefly discussed Judaism and the Islamic faith in A Level Religion because we were studying the Early Church and its scriptures, but everything always came back to Catholicism. I only survived studying RE at A Level because I treated it as if it were a History A Level (a lot of it was historical based, tbh). :laugh:

I think by the time many in my year left my school, everyone was questioning Catholicism.
I went to an all-girls convent school, and we were definitely not taught to submit to men but to be strong, independent women. However, they did teach us the whole gay being unnatural nonsense during RE, even though we could tell that many of the RE teachers didn't actually agree with it and were just teaching from the syllabus.
I go to a CoE school. Yes we learn about christianity in RE, but also about other religions. We had to RE GCSE but we did Islam as well as Christianity. There are religious assemblies and church services but parents know that when they apply. If they weren't told, I'd understand the outrage, but at my school at least, people who apply know about the Christian values etc
Original post by AshEntropy
I totally disagree with faith schools. Indoctrinating children with religious views, in my opinion, is unfair.

However, I understand that there is a counter argument to this...

"Well, isn't it unfair to deny children the right to faith schools?".

The only thing I can think of to reply with is that school is not for religious teaching, that is what religious buildings (e.g. - churches) are for...

But again, this could be counter argued with "Well, why are children taught about homosexuality being acceptable when this is subjective".

I think that schools should educate students on the facts and let the children decide for themselves what they want to believe/think. I agree that Religious Studies / Philosophy, Ethics and Religion is okay to be taught but only if the teaching is unbiased and just presents different people's viewpoints without the school trying to "push" a specific way of thinking.

When you have a full-on debate, complete with arguments and counter-arguments... with yourself. :lol:
I went to a catholic primary school.My education was fine and we were not taught any dogmatic stuff.I think people might be overreacting to this issue a bit.Some might be bad,but alot of them are better than some of the public secular shite schools ones I later attended.
I went to a Catholic secondary school and what was taught was absolutely horrendous. I do not think faith schools should exist.
Reply 39
Original post by Withengar
Men and women are equal. Homosexuality is natural. Creationism is a fairy-tale.

Both public and private schools should be secular and fundamentally atheist and should teach non-biased, scientific views in History, Biology, Philosophy and Ethics. Religious schools of any denominations and of all religions should be closed, prohibited from being opened again and paths to any kind of religious office should only be held within religious institutions of those religions.

We need to end the idea of religion having to do anything with standard education. It's harmful to women, harmful to the LGBTQ community and harmful to modern science and moral secularism. Religion has no place in schools. Religion has no place in classrooms. Religion has no place in politics. Religion has no place in public spaces. Religion has no place in the modern world.

In faith secondary schools the underlying assumption is that students will submissively accept any information their teachers are giving them. This is patronising. I have some measure of autonomy over whether I accept the opinions and teachings of my school syllabus and I see no reason why other students shouldn't.

Secondly, no subject is 'unbiased'. History is fraught with personal opinion and value judgement. Did Jesus actually exist? Is there convincing evidence for his resurrection? Was America right to go to war with Vietnam? Political opinion and historical judgement are linked and History has a lot in common with religious studies.

Thirdly, you are simply replacing religious teaching with secularism, which is itself a worldview that can indoctrinate. Students should have the opportunity to understand why a significant minority of religious believers disagree with homosexuality and why 'science' is incompetent at explaining the entirety of human experience. Students ought to study the interplay between conservative views on gender roles and recent feminist movements.

This comes down to good and bad teachers. Good teachers will, within a religious context, seek to fully outline the theology and reasoning behind particular issues, rather than misunderstanding or misrepresenting the opinion. Good teachers will acknowledge the existence of other viewpoints and will assume that their students are capable of researching the issues themselves. If they abuse their authority, that is problematic, but it is not because religious education is the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending