The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sameehaiqbal

40 would still be good, It is an estimation.
Original post by Ethan100

Did you get 29400N for 12 a?

What formula did you use for 12 b. (iii)
a) 2x10^4 A (3 Marks)
b) (Not sure) (1 Mark)
c) (Not sure) (2 Marks)

a) I drew the voltmeter being in parallel to the Resistor. (1 Mark)
b) (Not sure) (1 Mark)
c) Found the average voltage, Found the average Resistance, Got a final answer of 5 A (4 Marks)
d) (Not sure) (1 Mark)

a) Used Eh=cmDeltaT to prove that the answer is correct (2 Marks)
b)
i. Used P= E/t to get the time, final answer : 350 s (2 Sig Fig) (3 marks)
ii. (Not sure) (1 Mark)
c)
As the temperature of the water increases, the resistance of the thermistor decreases
This means the voltage across the thermistor also decreases
If the voltage across the thermistor is lower than 0.7 V then the electronic switch will not activate and the Heating element will be off. (I do not know what a MOSFET is, only ever learned about Npn Transistors)(3 Marks)

a) A thermal imaging camera detects Infrared radiation. (1 Mark)
b) Gamma Rays (1 Mark)
c)
i. Used v=fLambda to prove that the answer is correct (2 Marks)
ii. Microwaves ( Not sure if correct) (1 Mark)

5. Open-ended Question (3 Marks)

a)
i. The normal is perpendicular to the perspex block. (1 Mark)
ii. Angle of incidence is from the normal to the ray of red light. Angle of refraction is from the normal to the ray of red light as it is refracted. (1 Mark)
b)
i. 8 degrees (1 Mark)
ii. 44 degrees (1 Mark)
c) To obtain more accurate and reliable set of results (1 Mark)

a) 8.8x10^15 Bq (3 Marks)
b) (Not sure) (2 Marks)
c) (Not sure) (1 Mark)

a)
i.1.92x10^-4 Gy (3 Marks)
ii. 1.92x10^-4 Sv (3 Marks)
b) 0.75 kBq (3 Marks)

a)
i.104m (2 Marks)
ii. 59 Degrees (2 Marks)
b)
i. 1.5 m/s (3 Marks)
ii. (Not sure) (2 Marks)

a) 1.8 m/s^2 (3 Marks)
b) 8.71 m (3 Marks)
c) (Not sure) (3 Marks)

11. Open-ended Question (3 Marks)

a)29400 N (3 Marks)
b)
i, Light -----> Electical (1 Mark)
ii. (Not sure) iii. 2844000 J (3 Marks)
c)
i. 40 N (1 Mark)
ii. 0.02 m/s^2 (4 Marks)

a) (Not sure) (1 Mark)
b) 5505 Degrees celsius (1 Mark)
c) Found the distance traveled by light in a year and times it by 640, proving the answer is correct. ( 3 Marks)
d) (Not Sure) (1 Mark)

Total Marks : 90

There are quite a lot of not sure sections, This is because there could be more than one answer for this question and I'm not sure if what I wrote is specifically correct. This is good because it allows us to share our ideas and opinions.

Please correct me if I am incorrect with any of these answers so I can change them.
(edited 7 years ago)
What formula did you use for 12 b. (iii)

I used the formula P= E/t

P = 395 W
t = 7200s
E = ?

Then rearranged it to find out the Energy
Judging by all the answers I think I got an A :colondollar: but I probably marked myself too generously so maybe I'll get a B :biggrin: lol
Judging by all the answers I think I got an A :colondollar: but I probably marked myself too generously so maybe I'll get a B :biggrin: lol

Woooow :P An A would be a dream, hahaha
Not sure how well I have done, How do you scale down your mark so its out of 60 and not 90 ?

I didn't quite understand above, :smile:
Woooow :P Not sure how well I have done, How do you scale down your mark so its out of 60 and not 90 ?

I didn't quite understand above, :smile:

By the looks of it you defo got an A.

You put your mark out of 90 in a fraction e.g 80/90 and multiply it by 0.6. It should give you your mark in a decimal out of 60.
What are all of your estimated results out of 90 for section 2 ?
What are all of your estimated results out of 90 for section 2 ?

About 60 - 65/90
Just started Higher Physics today. Its solid. Gonna need to work hard this year :redface:
Just started Higher Physics today. Its solid. Gonna need to work hard this year :redface:

Yeah, hahaha. Looked through the notes and ... it doesn't look to pretty :P

We have started "Our dynamic Universe" topic and have looked at vector diagrams and some new formulas.

What are you starting on ?
Yeah, hahaha. Looked through the notes and ... it doesn't look to pretty :P

We have started "Our dynamic Universe" topic and have looked at vector diagrams and some new formulas.

What are you starting on ?

We have started the "uncertainties" topic and doing experimental calculations. Its sooooo hard!

Imagine taking Advanced Higher physics, that would be like suicide. :rofl:
We have started the "uncertainties" topic and doing experimental calculations. Its sooooo hard!

That's just death, haha

Luckily I have a decent teacher this year :biggrin:

I'm doing AH and nothing's too hard if you focus and study eneough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
For 1b you would just divide the total charge by the charge of 1 electron to find the number of electrons. And for 1c I thing you should mention about how metal strips have a very low resistance so are very good conductors and the electricity striking the house would be attracted to the metal and thus conduct through the metal protecting the house from being damaged. You may also want to mention why the metal strip conducts electricity, perhaps mention the structure of the metal(delocalised electrons that are able to conduct freely).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is a bit late but I was just wondering what would you put for one b ?

I calculated it and it came out as -1.25x10^23 but that is the overall charge on electrons so to just get the number of electrons it would be 1.25x10^23, right ?

:P Thanks
I know this is a bit late but I was just wondering what would you put for one b ?

I calculated it and it came out as -1.25x10^23 but that is the overall charge on electrons so to just get the number of electrons it would be 1.25x10^23, right ?

:P Thanks

Yeah no problem Ethan.
from 1(a) you know that the total charge provided by the lightning strike is 24 coulombs, you would then use this value in part (b) to calculate the number of electrons that are also present in the lightning strike.

So you would divide the total charge by the charge of one electron to get the number of electrons, ie (24/1.6x10^-19). This should then give you an answer of 1.5x10^20 number of electrons.

To help you understand it better think of it as crates of cola and lets say there is 20 cans per crate, It is known that there is 440 cans, how many crates are there ?
Well all you would do is divide the total number of cans by the number of cans in each single crate, so 440/20 which would be 22 crates of cola.

Hope this helped, enjoy your summer!
Congratulations everybody, you made it through the National 5 Physics course! I hope everybody got great grades. I can't believe I got 20/20 on my assignment!! Anyway, if you are taking Higher Physics here is the link to the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4253982 - Hope everybody had a great summer xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending